Canon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS lens test

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited January 7, 2008 in Cameras
Crops of center and corner of the wall where I test lenses and such.
http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/3918448#P-1-15

First of all, in terms of build feel, it's light and they have a paint that is blotchy like on the L lens barrels so it's not so smooth as before. Changing the rubber pattern on the zoom ring is a big improvement in making it feel like a more serious lens in the hand. The IS is dead silent, I can't tell if it's on. Initially I thought this was good but now I think it's a bad idea b/c unless I physically check the button with my finger while composing or look down, I can't tell if it's on or not. So at times, I had it on when I didn't need it but more importantly, it was off when I thought it was on. A quick work around is to use Custom Function 4-1 and leave the IS button on at all times. If you don't need IS, then focus with the "*" button once and leave the IS off. If you want the IS on, press and hold the "*" button. The MF and zoom rings are not damped so it feels cheap just like the old kit lens. AF speed and noise is about as same as the older kit lens.

Optically, it's pretty nice and sharp with good contrast and responds well to sharpening but I'm finding that I have to sharpen a lot to get it the way I like when shooting in RAW, which applies no sharpening. I find that one stop or so down on the aperture is generally the sharpest. So that's about f5.6 for the wide end and about f8 for the long end of the focal length. By f16, diffraction sets in and things start to go softer. I don't find the corners getting soft that much just as the reviews from photozone and slrgear shows. There really isn't much if any CA. I didn't see any today shooting tree/leaves backlit by the sun or against the white sky The color cast seems about as same as other Canon lenses I've used, cooler than Sigma's and warmer than Tokinas. . Flare is also well controlled. I'm shooting without a hood and with a Hoya S-HMC (top of the line multicoated UV filter from Hoya). Sharpness and contrast wise, it reminds me of the excellent Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens that I had for a while.

Overall this is a very nice $175 walking around lens. From memory, a big immediately noticable improvement in image quality from the two older non IS kit lenses I've used in the past. I think this lens is the best bang for the bucks if you are looking for an affordable walking around zoom lens for a Canon dslr with a cropped sensor. If you are a serious shooter or a pro, then you may want to get a faster normal zoom with a more robust build, but if you are a budget minded shooter or use this lens casually, it should last many many years.
Here are some pics with the kit lens on it's first day out.
1. 227590514-L.jpg

2. 227603412-L.jpg

3. 227590624-L.jpg

4. 227591383-L.jpg

5. 227591503-L.jpg

6. 227591218-L.jpg

As for me, I pixel peep and measurbate the first day and once I'm happy, just shoot and that's what I intend to do with this lens from now on.

Comments

• TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    measurbate

That's priceless! rolleyes1.gif
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    You haven't heard that term before? mwink.gif

Looks like a pretty good lens for the money.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    If you are looking for a budget general purpose lens or looking for an occassion general purpose lens (which is me, since I mainly shoot with primes) then this is a nice lens to go with.

If you are serious or want a daily workhorse, then this lens isn't robust nor fast enough. I'd recommend a Sigma 18-50, Tamron 17-50, Canon 17-55f2.8 IS for that kind of a job.