Water, water, neverwhere

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited January 11, 2008 in Landscapes
For 80 years, the municipal water supply was filtered with sand to prevent the spread of typhoid to city residents. The facilities present between the hundreds of pillars are probably a lot more friendly to us now than they were when the center was in operation.

According to my research, the sand was topped with a layer of schmutzdecke, a conglomerate of bacteria, algae, fungi, protozoa and insect larvae. As nature does its stuff, raw water turns to clean water. Yum!

Beneath the ground today, all that remains are the concrete and stone pillars and a huge bed of deep white sand. The space is huge but low, spreading beyond the beam of the flashlight and disappearing into pitch blackness on all sides. The manholes in the ceiling are rusted and sometimes missing, allowing beams of light (if there is any to be found) to reach below. It resembles a huge catacomb or a dungeon. Piles of kindling lay underneath the holes, possibly for/from vagrants. Some mounds of sand contained unlit candles, possibly for/from kids. Either way there was no one there that day: kids, vagrants, or even light.

I think this place has a lot of potential for godbeams, but I wasn't willing to wait around for it!

Without further ado, here are the few that turned out. Ironically none of them are from underground but of the treatment buildings on the surface. :dunno

240430756-L-3.jpg

240414064-L-4.jpg

240430197-L-4.jpg

Yah it was a short morning. :wxwax

Comments

• mANVILmANVIL Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    A fun morning, I enjoyed this place.

The couple pics you got came out well, but something is missing from #3....

PS - I think I am going to add 'neverwhere' into my vocab.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    mANVIL wrote:
    A fun morning, I enjoyed this place.

The couple pics you got came out well, but something is missing from #3....

PS - I think I am going to add 'neverwhere' into my vocab.
    Yes it was fun! Good times, good times. I also have a shot of you looking a bit like a serial killer. Or maybe like Henry Rollins. :D

I cloned out your tripod that was hangin' out in the grass there, I admit, but I selected the shot that lacked the moon in the sky. ;)
  • ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    As I said on your blog congrats for making this place look interesting. I was kinda disappointed in the place, yet I already want to go back to reshoot all my photos since I didn't like how they came out.
  • BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Sounds like a cool place!
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
    edited January 8, 2008
    Thanks Kev, Josh! It wouldn't make the top ten list, IMO but it's a piece of history worth seeing. Which I find to be the main attraction for most of these types of places. thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Beautiful photographs very cool ! mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    The photos are very cool indeed; and, the story behind them is also really interesting.
    Angela
  • MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    I love shot #3. Well worth the cloning work alluded to.
    I love doors, windows, broken things....this one has all 3!
    Great colour too!
    edited January 10, 2008
    Thanks Awais, Angela and Moni thumb.gif
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    The first and the last I like the most- but the second I find inspiring.
    Anybody can do it.