Kidney Stones.

Jody MelansonJody Melanson Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
edited January 7, 2008 in Holy Macro
Some of you may or may not know, I just went through a recent bout of nasty Kidney Stones. Anyhoo, I had 5 surgeries in less than 2 months. Here are some of the stones I passed.

239028705-O.jpg

These were shot with the reverse 50 setup I use. These Stones are small as a result of Lithotripsy. Lithotripsy is a surgery where they blast the Stones with shock waves while they are still in you.

239028804-O.jpg

You can see by the jagged edges why they cause so much pain! :O

239758361-O.jpg

This bad boy I just passed last weekend, early Saturday morning. From the 0 to the first line on the right is 1/8th of an inch. This image is a stack of 5 images to get the DOF I needed. I wouldn't wish Kidney Stones on my worst enemy.

239028881-O.jpg

Here is a crop of above.

239028921-O.jpg

Those of you that don't get Kidney Stones, count your blessings! :D Those of you that do get them, I feel for you. :(
There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness!

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    I can almost see the pain these would cause Jody - amazing shots.
    many moons ago I was working in a Tetanus vaccine production lab when the lab manager went into a state of tetanus (all muscles locked) whilst sitting in his chair - the ambulance people had to take him out by carrying his chair. You can imagine the shock this caused (ie did he have tetanus ?) - turned out he's gone into total muscle lock from the pain caused by exactly these things- kidney stones.

brian v.
  • kundalinikundalini Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    *touches wood* Fortunately I have not had this condition. However, friends have told me it's like passing a softball sized ball of barbed wire through the urinary tract. Now I have a better understanding. *shrinkage effect*
    I'll not repeat what others say, so, you can call me Brer.

"... but I'll be sober in the morning." - Winston Chruchill
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    OMG i heard about them a lot and saw people suffering but never saw these stones. What a pain i hope and pray for your health

Regards thanks for sharing these
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Lucky. They wouldn't let me keep mine. After all that work, too (this was 20 years ago, when the main cure was waiting it out.)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Great shots, Jody thumb.gif
    I don't even want to think about the fact that they were/could be inside someone; Look at those sharp edges :uhoh
    DavidTO wrote:
    Lucky. They wouldn't let me keep mine. After all that work, too
    lol3.gif
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Counting my lucky stars. Shooting them macro probably puts what size they really feel like into perspective.

Hope you don't have to suffer through that anymore.

-Jon
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    hey one of those look familar, (twiceeek7.gif ):D

i thought 1 was going to kill me:D
    you did all of thembowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • ABCapturesABCaptures Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    those were some pretty cool shots, i can only imagine what you went throgh to get the photos, let alone getting them to pass. i have had to deal with them on a number of occations and i too wouldnt wish them on my worst enemy.. they are literally as painful as childbirth
    Hi, I'm Ashley
    *Love every creature*
    Gear: Canon Rebel XTi 18-55mm & 75-300mm

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Good grief! eek7.gif I hope you're ALL done with that! Only a photographer would think to take some incredible pictures of the culprits. thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Some of you may or may not know, I just went through a recent bout of nasty Kidney Stones. Anyhoo, I had 5 surgeries in less than 2 months. Here are some of the stones I passed.
    These were shot with the reverse 50 setup I use. These Stones are small as a result of Lithotripsy. Lithotripsy is a surgery where they blast the Stones with shock waves while they are still in you.
    You can see by the jagged edges why they cause so much pain! :O
    This bad boy I just passed last weekend, early Saturday morning. From the 0 to the first line on the right is 1/8th of an inch. This image is a stack of 5 images to get the DOF I needed. I wouldn't wish Kidney Stones on my worst enemy.
    Here is a crop of above.
    Those of you that don't get Kidney Stones, count your blessings! :D Those of you that do get them, I feel for you. :(

Ouuuuuuuch, I know that these things can bring anyone to their knees in pain.

I don't know why some people produce them and others don't,
    I'm glad I have never had them.

You sure had a lot of the them Jody, hopefully you won't produce any more.
    Wishing you all the best as you continue to recover.

We missed you thumb.gif ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    I past one about 4 years ago. I feel your pain.