My latest shoot - 3 boys (8 photos)

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited January 10, 2008 in People
Some of you may remember the little boy I did in the woods about 3 months ago.... Well, his mom wanted to have another shoot focusing on his older brothers - mainly the oldest since he was off finishing high school in a town they had recently moved from. The interesting "challenge" for this shoot is that this 16 year old (middle boy) is autistic and I had never had any real experience with autism.

Anyway, the oldest was so easy going and a very nice kid. His interests in drama and the arts made it very easy to shoot him... I also played around and tried a few different things. And since he was the main focus of the shoot, I tried to concentrate on a bunch of different types of photos:

238871188-M.jpg

238871207-M.jpg

238871173-M.jpg

The middle boy was rather reluctant to get his photo done at first. Being autistic, it took me a little while to connect with him. Once I did, though, I felt good about the photos I got!

238871264-M.jpg

238871232-M.jpg

And two quickies of the youngest:
238871298-M.jpg

238871328-M.jpg

And finally, one of the three boys. This was a bonus since they didn't really expect any shots of the three together (the focus isn't perfect, but I love the interaction):
238871363-M-1.jpg

You can see more of the photos and the full story here: http://tippiepics.blogspot.com/2008/01/gil-coop-and-henry.html

Please feel free to make any C&C here rather than on the blog, but I'm always open to all feedback.

Thanks!

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Wonderful photos loved thr PP a lot
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Very good shots!! They have a photojournalistic feel for sure.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Very nice set, but 1,5, and 7 take the cake!!! I especially like the funky treatment you gave to #1. Very coooool!!!

:cool
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Well done!!+ I really like your PP treatment thumb.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    I need some pp lessons, please! :D These have a great look and challenge me to consider some different viewpoints about photos and portraits...I like that. That last one is so sweet! I bet mom and dad will be thrilled with that. I like each one of these for a different reason. Great job, Andi!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008

238871188-M.jpg

238871207-M.jpg

How do you process to get these effects i love the pp style of 1st one a lot but never find the way to acheive results
    if you want to share headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Hey Andi,

Great to see you posting - it seems like it's been forever since I last saw a post from you. clap.gif

I really like the last 4

#5 - Love the almost piercing gaze.
    #6 - The interaction between Dad(?) and the youngest. A very special moment.
    #7 - Love the expression and the PP. I'm guessing he's happy but it looks like he's *that* close to breaking out in tears.
    #8 - The interaction - no question - it really makes the photo. Nice bowdown.gif
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Sorry for the delay! My daughter got croup really bad and ended up having to be transported by ambulance to the hospital... No fun! (She's on the mend now, though.)
    Wonderful photos loved thr PP a lot

Thank you so much!
    Very good shots!! They have a photojournalistic feel for sure.

Thank you, Jan! That's sort of what I was going for! I appreciate it...
    Very nice set, but 1,5, and 7 take the cake!!! I especially like the funky treatment you gave to #1. Very coooool!!!

:cool

Thank you, Jeffreaux! It was so fun working with the oldest boy as he did what I asked him to do - and I was able to push things a bit more than before. I actually pictured (no pun intended!) the shot as it turned out, which is unusual taking photos of small children. Laughing.gif! thanks again!
    Well done!!+ I really like your PP treatment thumb.gif

Thank you so much!!
    I need some pp lessons, please! :D These have a great look and challenge me to consider some different viewpoints about photos and portraits...I like that. That last one is so sweet! I bet mom and dad will be thrilled with that. I like each one of these for a different reason. Great job, Andi!

Thanks so much, Elaine! I am especially glad you like the last one - that's one of my favorites from the shoot. My personal goal was to get a photo of all three boys together that was more candid. It's nothing like I pictured, but I still really like it a lot!

Thanks!
    How do you process to get these effects i love the pp style of 1st one a lot but never find the way to acheive results
    if you want to share headscratch.gif

It's a deep, dark secret I will NEVER share! (Well, not 'til the next post, anyway.... I need to look up the exact process I used. :D)
    Hey Andi,

Great to see you posting - it seems like it's been forever since I last saw a post from you. clap.gif

I really like the last 4

#5 - Love the almost piercing gaze.
    #6 - The interaction between Dad(?) and the youngest. A very special moment.
    #7 - Love the expression and the PP. I'm guessing he's happy but it looks like he's *that* close to breaking out in tears.
    #8 - The interaction - no question - it really makes the photo. Nice bowdown.gif

Hey, Scott! It has been a while. With family in town, a crazy, crazy holiday season and so much going on, I've missed being on here and being able to post. Frustrating!

As always, thanks for the detailed feedback - VERY helpful!

In #6, it was sort of a "find". I just looked over, saw him reading books and grabbed that shot with dad. In #7, I said to his mom, "Wow! Look at those eyes!" and Henry looked at me and pointed to his eyes and said "EYES!!!" Laughing.gif.. It was too cute!

Thanks so much!!

Thanks to all for your comments! (More on the PP in a sec.)
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Really nice set Andi, and I really enjoyed the other shots that you linked to in your blog. I can see a distinctive change in your work...I can't quite put it (the change) into words, but I like it!!! clap.gif
    edited January 10, 2008
    As for the PP in #1, I used the Hanne Cross Process Split Tone from here: http://inside-lightroom.com/st.php. I tweaked it a tad, but not a ton. Mainly to bring back some (but not all, obviously) highlights and adjust some of the toning. It's a tough one to use, but when you find the right photo..... :D

I do all my PP in Lightroom and rarely take photos into PS anymore...

And that second one, Awais, is RAW Bleach Bypass, courtesy of Urbanaries (Lynne). I rarely use that one well, but love it (too!) when it is on the right photo. I tried to google it, but can't find it. If you want it, just email me at andi@tippiepics.com. It may take a few days for me to get to it, though. But I'll send it to you!! :D

Hope that helps!
    edited January 10, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Really nice set Andi, and I really enjoyed the other shots that you linked to in your blog. I can see a distinctive change in your work...I can't quite put it (the change) into words, but I like it!!! clap.gif

Thanks, Susan! One thing I found that sort of "opened" things up for me lately is just doing things inside and in different places other than in the woods. I think often that doing shots outdoors leads to one type of processing as well as a certain type of photos, but doing them inside - especially at a home that's not really set up for photoshoots - leads to some creative edges I hadn't considered. It was a lot of fun pushing myself in a completely different way!

Thanks again! I really appreciate it.
    edited January 10, 2008
    I lied about that being that Hanne process... It's a cross process called "Matt's Cross Process 1", but I'm not sure where I got it. You can find what I think it is here: http://inside-lightroom.com/cp.php But if it's not there, just email me and I'll send it to you. andi@tippiepics.com

Thanks! Sorry!
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Wow, Wow, Wow!!! Wonderful and inspiring.
    edited January 10, 2008
    DavidS wrote:
    Wow, Wow, Wow!!! Wonderful and inspiring.

Thank you so much, David! I really appreciate it!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 10, 2008
    great job, andi-
  • Deanna AlkoDeanna Alko Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Great job! Love 2,4 and the last 3! Your PP treatments are very appealing. Thank you for the link.

Thanks for sharing,
    - Deanna