Options

Windmills

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited March 17, 2005 in Landscapes
They have installed several power generating windmills in a town called Bowling Green which is south of us here in Toledo. They have been a huge success generating more power than they thought they would.

I have wanted to get an interesting shot of these windmills since they built them but never got a chance. Last night I was working third shift and I was in the area around sunrise so I drove by there.

These are what I got.

17565296-M.jpg

17565297-M.jpg

17565298-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    Here is another that gives a better idea of scale...

17565917-L.jpg
  • Options
    lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    nice
    GREAPER wrote:
    Here is another that gives a better idea of scale...

17565917-L.jpg
    nice shots!!! great idea to take them when you did!
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Great shots Greap. Those were deffinatley not there the last time I was in BG. Is the Chi-Chi's still there?
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 15, 2005
    Hey Greap, nice set. I like #2 best.

Next time I'm near Palm Springs I'll snap some pix of the "sea" of these things that line I-10.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    Great shots Greap. Those were deffinatley not there the last time I was in BG. Is the Chi-Chi's still there?

I dont think so. I think they all closed around here.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Hey Greap, nice set. I like #2 best.

Next time I'm near Palm Springs I'll snap some pix of the "sea" of these things that line I-10.

I have seen the ones on the way to yosemite from SF. Hundreds of them. These here are a little different than the ones I saw.

The ones in BG are over 300 feet tall. The generator section on top is the size of a bus.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 15, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    The ones in BG are over 300 feet tall. The generator section on top is the size of a bus.
    Yeah, same as Palm Springs. Imagine a couple hundred that size. When they're spinning, the sound is... gee, beyond scary. Otherworldly?
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Hey Greaper
    It is so bizarre, but on the weekend we were in Lethbridge - a phenominally windy place - and I photographed their wind farms!!!! Not at sunset, and I do not know how well as I still haven't dl'd them ( I have 6 soccer games that I must post, and 2 more sets of photos to order for customers, and a day job, and, and and.......) Anyway, these are lovely, and I find it a funny coincidence that someone else was photographing windmills at the same time I was!

ann
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 17, 2005
    Nice sunset Greaper.

There is a huge facility west of Dodge City Kansas on US 56. This ismage only shows avery small number of the total windmills there. Notice the mills in the distance along the horizon of this shot - the area utilized must cover hundreds and hundres of acres of ground.
    875266-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    I had no idea there were this many. I wonder why they said they were surprised that they were successful?
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hey Greaper
    It is so bizarre, but on the weekend we were in Lethbridge - a phenominally windy place - and I photographed their wind farms!!!! Not at sunset, and I do not know how well as I still haven't dl'd them ( I have 6 soccer games that I must post, and 2 more sets of photos to order for customers, and a day job, and, and and.......) Anyway, these are lovely, and I find it a funny coincidence that someone else was photographing windmills at the same time I was!

ann

When you get a chance, post them up here, I would like to see them.