Options

Criş-Biertan-Şaroş, or the "charm behind next door"

explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited January 9, 2008 in Journeys
exploring your home land can be at least as exciting as traveling the world. other emotions, but similar excitement. like kids discovering another hidden passage behind a seemingly harmless door, in the household - a brandnew gate to adventure.
usually, spots in immediate proximity to home remain fairly unexplored, by the principle - "can be done tomorrow". and "tomorrow" other things come in the way, and you end up knowing far away spots better than your own surroundings.

I found out about the Criş castle long after I had left home.

DSC_1690.JPG

Former headquarters of a Hungarian noble family, Bethlen, it was confiscated by the Communist authorities and used as storage space for agricultural products of the local C.A.P. - state-owned "production community".
After the Revolution in 1989 they started restoring it, but it stopped as soon as a descendant of the Bethlen family claimed the castle. And frozen it is today.

DSC_1669.JPG

In summer there are greater chances to find a ghostly guard, who for 2-3 RON can give a quite educated tour. This time all we saw was a little smoke coming out randomly - we didn't insist.

DSC_1673.JPG

I knew about Biertan, German Saxons had their annual meetings there. But i didnt visit it for years - it was "way too far", as much as anything farther than a 5 minutes walk. Unbelievable how small one's Universe can be. I visited eventually, the imposing church-fortress,

DSC_1696.JPG

UNESCO heritage,

DSC_1716.JPG

fom the big village lost between the hills, carrying signs of fading glory, but not giving up.

DSC_1704.JPG

Landscape is picturesque, the road serpenting through forests and pastures. It is a quality of the Transylvanian highlands - although conceptually the landscape is the same - hills - actually their shape is never the same, after every road curve there is something different waiting. That's how one doesn't get bored. In addition, if you're lucky, you might spot, like we did, wildlife gems on the side of the road: fox, deer, and, above all, the very rare wild cat.
To get to Biertan, there is a side road you have to take from E60, in the middle of the village Şaroş, a.k.a. Şaroşu pe Târnave. It also has a fortified church, quite "substantial",

DSC_1732.JPG

which would probably be known better if it wasn't in the shadow of Big Biertan. The landscape was like taken from a poem (Iarna pe Ulita), with kids thoroughly enjoying sledging on a hill behind the church.

DSC_1740.JPG

- „uncle, give me 2 lei, please!”
- „we don't have money. and we are from Romania”.
- “then take a picture of us!”
- "very well.”

DSC_1743.JPG
The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.

Comments

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    I enjoyed these very much, thanks, explorish, especially #7 & #8. Full of interest. Wonderful compositionally. Most of all, I find in them a lot of sympathy for your subject. And that is a payload which makes looking at them very worthwhile. Many photos impress by gimmickry or wizadry, and that can be stunning, entertaining, new-dimensional and so on. The flashy, popping, extroverted image. All good! More power to the powerful results of powerful imagination, powerful skills and powerful technology. On the other hand there is a fine pleasure in finding and sharing the sympathy which is the real impact of a more introverted kind of image. The visceral glow of a more subtle visual attraction.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Just had a quick look at a couple of your galleries. Will go back for a longer look when I have more time.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    wow. thanks neil...
    The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.