Rookie looking for comments

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited January 8, 2008 in Landscapes
Hi everyone,

Well as the title suggest I am a rookie at photography but I have the bug, but bad. I bought my first Canon SLR 4 years ago (Digital Rebel) when my son was about to be born and have been hooked ever since. I just upgraded to the Canon Rebel XTi and I have some fairly nice pieces of glass (and looking for some more).

I've taken some photos that friends and family say "Hey that looks terrific." and while I value their opinions, I wanted to put my work out for some experienced eyes to critique. Here are a couple of my latest pictures, the first was taken at EPCOT in Novemenber and the second was taken at my brother-n-laws wedding. I look forward to hearing your input.

I couldn't find the recommended size for pictures so I resized these to 800xNNN. Thanks in advance.

I took this at the Chinese Pavilion at EPCOT using my Canon EF 28-135mm. Funny thing was that I didn't realize that there was a frog in my photo until I got home because I snapped the picture quick.
img_2723dgrin.jpg

My son was playing in the trees and I took this with my standard 75x300mm. I prefer to catch people looking natural than having a posed picture most times.
img_6042dgrin.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• David L. MegaheyDavid L. Megahey Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Great shots! I too just came on aboard. Welcome!
    :scratch When in doubt....SHOOT IT!!!
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Well there is not much wrong with the shots for starters. thumb.gif

Something you should start working on is composition. Both of these shots the main subject is almost dead center in the picture. To be a little more creative use the 'rule of thirds'. Here is what I would have done:

First shot: Frame the subject so the flower is in the top right and the frog in the bottom left. You can still do this by cropping this photo. Too bad you don't have more of the frog in the shot though.

Second shot: Looks like this gave your auto focus a little trouble due to the sticks being in front of your sons face. The result is a slightly soft focus. This can be fixed by changing to manual focus or the auto focus points. This is also a shot that would benefit from some good glass f2.8 or lower and get a low an F stop as possible to blur the background and have only your son in focus.

Just a couple ideas for you.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Well there is not much wrong with the shots for starters. thumb.gif

Something you should start working on is composition. Both of these shots the main subject is almost dead center in the picture. To be a little more creative use the 'rule of thirds'. Here is what I would have done:

First shot: Frame the subject so the flower is in the top right and the frog in the bottom left. You can still do this by cropping this photo. Too bad you don't have more of the frog in the shot though.

Second shot: Looks like this gave your auto focus a little trouble due to the sticks being in front of your sons face. The result is a slightly soft focus. This can be fixed by changing to manual focus or the auto focus points. This is also a shot that would benefit from some good glass f2.8 or lower and get a low an F stop as possible to blur the background and have only your son in focus.

Just a couple ideas for you.

Hey anwmn1, thanks for the great ideas. lol on the First Shot, I didn't even know the frog was there....it was like OH DANG...there is a frog in my shot when I got home and looked at it and I was POd that I didn't see it before so I could incorporate it as well....I also got a Scott Kelby book for Christmas that I read that explained the rule of thirds. I'll definitely be sure to incorporate that in my next one though. On the second shot, I almost missed it because I turned and saw my son playing behind the tree and he didn't see me so I snapped a couple of quick pictures and most he was being goofy with his friends but this one turned out pretty good.

I'm practicing the manual focus as well as manual modes so I can set my focus point....

here's an an excample of a picutre I took doing using the manual settings and focal point. It was also before I knew about the "rule of thirds"...lol at least I was consistent. Thanks again for the great feedback. I'm having a blast.wings.gif

img_0594.png
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Hi Randy and welcome! I love seeing newcomers who really have the itch to share and learn. I hope you find what you're looking for here, since there are great folks who are all open to sharing on Dgrin. wave.gif

The frog is adorable and totally makes the shot. I know that you didn't know s/he was there when you took it but it really gives the classic lily shot a little something extra. I agree with Aaron that it's too centered. Perhaps cropping off a bit of the right and bottom sides would draw the frog in a bit more.

Your son is adorable, but the photo is a little soft. I love the daisies, especially as this time of year it's hard to find lovely fresh flowers. Manual is the way to go, especially when learning the ropes! thumb.gif

Hope to see more from ya
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Hi Randy and welcome! I love seeing newcomers who really have the itch to share and learn. I hope you find what you're looking for here, since there are great folks who are all open to sharing on Dgrin. wave.gif

The frog is adorable and totally makes the shot. I know that you didn't know s/he was there when you took it but it really gives the classic lily shot a little something extra. I agree with Aaron that it's too centered. Perhaps cropping off a bit of the right and bottom sides would draw the frog in a bit more.

Your son is adorable, but the photo is a little soft. I love the daisies, especially as this time of year it's hard to find lovely fresh flowers. Manual is the way to go, especially when learning the ropes! thumb.gif

Hope to see more from ya

Thank you for the kind words schmoo. Laughing.gif I guess there are a lot "worse bugs" to have than photography....less expensive maybe but worserolleyes1.gif . I've been in technology for about 23 years and I am absolutely amazed at the limitless possibilites with taking and presenting pictures. I am looking forward to spring so I can go to my local nursery and get some more pictures there...that's where the one above is from. Here's a couple more...

My wife and son walking down a dirt road after apple picking
    img_5102.jpg

This is my other precious one. She has me wrapped!!!
    img_7838.jpg

I thought this one was different..I noticed my son's shadow on the pumpkin so I took the shot
    img_0166.jpg
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com