LPS #20 Help

shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
edited January 10, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Maybe it is just late, but I was working on this photo when all of a sudden, I saw a face. Do I need sleep?
The two lights in the top windows are the pupils, and the large curve of the ceiling inside the lower windows is a huge smile.

241042623-L.jpg

Comments

• ethelethel Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 8, 2008
    wow
    i can totaly see itwings.gif
    i like it

ethel
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    I can see a face of a building - is there another face I am supposed to be able to see? Do I need to get more sleep?

Nice shot by the way.

Cheers/Peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    I can see the "face" that you are talking about. However.....after seeing the level of competition the last few rounds...do you really think this would be a contender for the top ten?

This is the last qualifying round....

It's a neat shot, just not sure it's going to be strong enough with the theme compared to the other images that are sure to be presented.

just my .02
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Well, I can see it, but not sure if I would have if I hadn't read your description. It is there, but it's a bit of a stretch. Nice shot regardless.

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    I saw the face immediately, and yes, you do need sleep. You need to sleep through this whole round so others can get in.. yuk yuk yuk yuk....
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    funny!

shatch you certainly have no lack of imagination rolleyes1.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Maybe it is just late, but I was working on this photo when all of a sudden, I saw a face. Do I need sleep?
    The two lights in the top windows are the pupils, and the large curve of the ceiling inside the lower windows is a huge smile.
    I see the face, but it needs a lot of work..ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    that should have been a "wheres smuggy"?:D but only for those with lack of sleep:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    I read your description before I looked at the image, so I can't say for sure but I think I would have had a hard time seeing it on its own as the image currently is.

I would think it would be more noticable if you made the non-eye lights disappear and maybe reshot it so the smile part was more visible.
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    ethel wrote:
    i can totaly see itwings.gif
    i like it

ethel

Interesting how in life, sometimes something just jumps out at you even though you had looked at it or been around it for years and missed it before. Thanks for you comments.
    edited January 8, 2008
    pemmett wrote:
    I can see a face of a building - is there another face I am supposed to be able to see? Do I need to get more sleep?

Nice shot by the way.

Cheers/Peter

Hi Peter,
    Thanks for the compliment. You were at a disadvantage. I added the hints after you had made your comments. BTW, I think lack of sleep helps in seeing things that don't exist (speaking from experience). Take care!
    edited January 8, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:
    I can see the "face" that you are talking about. However.....after seeing the level of competition the last few rounds...do you really think this would be a contender for the top ten?

This is the last qualifying round....

It's a neat shot, just not sure it's going to be strong enough with the theme compared to the other images that are sure to be presented.

just my .02

Hi Heather!
    I think you hit it right on. Looking at the last SF entries, they keep getting better and better. It was interesting how I had spent a couple of hours on the photo when all of a sudden...POW! There it was stairing at me. Maybe if we can have the judges go on no sleep when they look at the entries, I might have a chance!

Thanks for your comments.
    edited January 8, 2008
    Well, I can see it, but not sure if I would have if I hadn't read your description. It is there, but it's a bit of a stretch. Nice shot regardless.

Emily

Hey Emily,
    A little less sleep and maybe you can see things through my imaginary eyes...rolleyes1.gif
    After I had had a couple of hours of sleep, I still saw the image, but the Wow factor was put in a more realistic perspective. You are right with the "stretch".

Best wishes and congrats on your last entry!
    edited January 8, 2008
    HoofClix wrote:
    I saw the face immediately, and yes, you do need sleep. You need to sleep through this whole round so others can get in.. yuk yuk yuk yuk....

Oh how I would like to take your recommendation and sleep...You don't happen to be a doctor that could issue me a prescription for that do you?

As for being a threat...I don't see that. That last set of photos in the last SF was AMAZING!! There were many that could have been top 10 that weren't as well.

Looking forward to receiving your prescription.

Thanks! Oh...and loved your entry. Fun use of dual theme interpretation. Congrats!
    edited January 8, 2008
    sherstone wrote:
    funny!

shatch you certainly have no lack of imagination rolleyes1.gif

Thanks sherstone. Loved your last entry btw. Oh...and the key to imagination...hang out with children. My kids teach me a lot about creative vision. And I guess lack of sleep opens your eyes to a new world too.rolleyes1.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif

You can do better thumb.gif
    edited January 8, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I see the face, but it needs a lot of work..ne_nau.gif

Is it the acne that bothered you? Or do you recommend a total face lift? I tried to keep the skin texture as realistic as I could...rolleyes1.gif

This would be a "last ditch entry/(token)" which is possible if I can't get a shot scheduled to compete with you. The original nature of this photo was for a real estate project I am working on. It wasn't originally intended to be in this SF.

BTW, liked your final entry and congrats on your finish.
    edited January 8, 2008
    that should have been a "wheres smuggy"?:D but only for those with lack of sleep:D

Great thought. Think they would still accept entries...Naw...couldn't compete with the the tatoo. I think this one is best left on the sideline.

Haven't been in St. George for a while. Is Elim valley near there? I had a friend tell me I needed to buy some ground there.
    edited January 8, 2008
    Pat664422 wrote:
    I read your description before I looked at the image, so I can't say for sure but I think I would have had a hard time seeing it on its own as the image currently is.

I would think it would be more noticable if you made the non-eye lights disappear and maybe reshot it so the smile part was more visible.

Do you think a title of "The Eyes are the Lights in the Top Windows and the Ceiling in the Bottom Windows is a Big Smile" would be ok? ne_nau.gif

If this ends up as my "token entry" I think I'll follow your advice and bring more attention to the facial features. Thanks for the idea!
    edited January 8, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

You can do better thumb.gif

Dang! I hate it when you encourage people to do better! Guess I better get a shot scheduled. Thanks!wings.gif Do you think my wife would care if I didn't finish the bathroom remodel this Saturday?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Is it the acne that bothered you? Or do you recommend a total face lift? I tried to keep the skin texture as realistic as I could...rolleyes1.gif
    lol... facelift, most likely lol3.gif
    shatch wrote:
    BTW, liked your final entry and congrats on your finish.
    Thank you, but IIRC, I "finished" after after all the good spots were already taken mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited January 8, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    lol... facelift, most likely lol3.gif

Thank you, but IIRC, I "finished" after after all the good spots were already taken mwink.gif

I guess that was my list I was looking at.headscratch.gif Well........You did finish above me! (not that that is difficult).
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Great thought. Think they would still accept entries...Naw...couldn't compete with the the tatoo. I think this one is best left on the sideline.

Haven't been in St. George for a while. Is Elim valley near there? I had a friend tell me I needed to buy some ground there.

its about 10 minutes NE of st.george.
    http://www.elimvalley.com/vision_location.php
    the market here right now is near a stand still, so i would guess its a buyers market. but there seems to be no buyers right nowne_nau.gif ...in the last six months two homes close to me have been for sale, they have had 3-4 people look at one, and the other not one tour.(they are asking more than they should i guess)
    also property here 5-10 years ago was affordable...
    general description, property 10 yrs ago valued @ 15,000 was valued one year ago @ 215,000 (crazy, its just dirt), now currently valued @ 190,000.
    so if you buy that property now what will happen? your guess is better than mine....im not rich yeteek7.gif

anyway i live near snow canyon (west side)and i prefer the scenery to a great extend far more around snow canyon than i do on the east side of St.George.(not including Zion ofcoarse)
    st.george has great diversity in everything. so do your home work.

if you ever need any info from me feel free to PM me, if you are ever in st. george feel free to contact me, it would be great to meet you.

thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    I think there's an entire photography book devoted to photographing things in life that have a face. I'll have to do some digging for the title, but I know I've seen it.

Jesse
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Smuggy?

indiegirl, I once owned a book in college about faces in nature, but for the life of me I can't recall the title. It spent a couple chapters on why we see faces, which was fascinating.
    Growing with Dgrin