Breaking into macro

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited January 10, 2008 in Holy Macro
I am looking into getting into shooting some macro because I really like the minute detail that it brings to light that you can't see every day. I'm a bit confused as to what the better gear is to use eg. telephoto vs single distance macro. I'm shooting with a Rebel XTi and am looking for a great piece of glass to get me going. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-Randy
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• Mark EdellMark Edell Registered Users Posts: 672 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Randy,
    I also, have the XTI and bought the Kenko Extension Tube Set (not EF-S lens compatible). I use them with the 24mm -70mm L and the 200mm L. I find, oddly enough, that I use the 200mm the most.

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    I am looking into getting into shooting some macro because I really like the minute detail that it brings to light that you can't see every day. I'm a bit confused as to what the better gear is to use eg. telephoto vs single distance macro. I'm shooting with a Rebel XTi and am looking for a great piece of glass to get me going. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-Randy

Randy ,
    I always recommend a macro lens around 100mm as the best way to start. The Tamron 90, canon 100 and sigma 105 are all great. The canon 60mm is also highly recommended. Not sure what other lenses you have but a cheaper alternative is to get a set of extension tubes. With a 50mm lens a full set of Kenko or pro-optic (from Adorama) ext tubes will allow you to go to just over 1:1 magnification but the focus distance is fairly close. Note most of the Kenko sets will not work with EF-S lenses but will if you get them via EBAY from Hong Kong.
    Lots of tips and info on how I do my shots here http://www.flickr.com/groups/topic/66514/

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:

-Randy

The Canon 100mm (Macro) is a really sweet piece of glass.
    Also as Brian said, the Kenko Ext Tubes are so handy.
    They are light, fairly inexpensive, and can be used on almost any lens.
    I take my Kenko's with me whenever I go out shooting, there is no glass in them, they come in a set of 3, and can be using in any combination.

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Randy ,
    I always recommend a macro lens around 100mm as the best way to start. The Tamron 90, canon 100 and sigma 105 are all great. The canon 60mm is also highly recommended. Not sure what other lenses you have but a cheaper alternative is to get a set of extension tubes. With a 50mm lens a full set of Kenko or pro-optic (from Adorama) ext tubes will allow you to go to just over 1:1 magnification but the focus distance is fairly close. Note most of the Kenko sets will not work with EF-S lenses but will if you get them via EBAY from Hong Kong.
    Lots of tips and info on how I do my shots here http://www.flickr.com/groups/topic/66514/

Brian V.

Thank you Brian. I really appreciate the information and love your work btw. I will compile a list of options and then dive in :)...quietly so my wife doesn't hear me!....lol j/k she thiniks it's a great hobby...expensive but great none the less. Here's the equipment I currently have:

Rebel XTi
    Canon 28-135mm IS USM
    Canon EFS 18-55mm
    Canon EF 75-300mm
    Canon Speedlite 430EX
    SLIK II 9000 Tripod (want a new one with a ball mount)

It's very rudamentary but I think I've gotten some pretty good shots so far. I'm looking forward to getting my first L series glass so I can see the difference.

Thanks again for you great input.

-Randy
    Sigma 28-300mm
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited January 9, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Thank you Brian. I really appreciate the information and love your work btw. I will compile a list of options and then dive in :)...quietly so my wife doesn't hear me!....lol j/k she thiniks it's a great hobby...expensive but great none the less. Here's the equipment I currently have:

Rebel XTi
    Canon 28-135mm IS USM
    Canon EFS 18-55mm
    Canon EF 75-300mm
    Canon Speedlite 430EX
    SLIK II 9000 Tripod (want a new one with a ball mount)

It's very rudamentary but I think I've gotten some pretty good shots so far. I'm looking forward to getting my first L series glass so I can see the difference.

Thanks again for you great input.

-Randy
    Sigma 28-300mm

Just ordered the Kenko Tubes from B&H....can't wait to get them. clap.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    A Good Deal On A Great Macro Lens...
    IMO a dedicated macro lens is the most enjoyable way to shoot macro photography up to a 1:1 image ratio. What puts many photographers off about dedicated macro lenses is their rather high cost.

The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP Macro Lens is the lens that was offered by Tamron previous to the present DI Macro model. The DI is supposed to be optimized for digital but, I cannot believe that they can get the image quality much sharper than my SP model. IMO the image quality of my Tamron SP Macro ranks right up there with some of my best Canon lenses such as the 70-200mm f/4L IS and the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. That means the Tamron SP Macro is in some pretty heady company.

You will "occasionally" find one of these lenses offered on ebay for between $100 and $200. If you do, I would advise you to snap it up. You will never regret the purchase. I was lucky enough to get my 90mm f/2.8 Tamron SP Macro in super condition for less than $125 including shipping.

The image quality competes very well with the great Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens. It will focus down to a 1:1 image ratio. The auto focus is said not to be as fast as the Canon Macro but, I and many other photographers most often use manual focus when shooting macro.

An additional advantage of the Tamron SP Macro is that it produces creamy smooth bokeh. This is nice when shooting Macro because much of your frame is usually out of focus. Because of the Tamron's 90mm focal length, its f/2.8 aperture and its outstanding bokeh - the Tammy is also a great portrait lens for head and shoulders portraits. In fact; it is often called the "Macro-Portrait Lens".

Finding one of these great lenses on eBay or fred Miranda will take patience. There are just not that many out there for several to be offered at any one time. However, if you do have the patience to locate one, especially for under $200; you will have a wonderful lens at a bargain price.

One warning however; Tamron once produced a 90mm f/2.5 Adaptall Macro lens. This lens, apparently does not offer the quality of the 90mm f/2.8 SP Macro or the DI Macro. Don't be confused and purchase an f/2.5 Adaptall lens by mistake.

I know that the Tamron SP Macro lens was produced with Canon and Nikon mounts and may have been offered with other mounts.
    edited January 10, 2008
    get's sum toys
    rpcrowe wrote:
    IMO a dedicated macro lens is the most enjoyable way to shoot macro photography up to a 1:1 image ratio. What puts many photographers off about dedicated macro lenses is their rather high cost.

The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP Macro Lens is the lens that was offered by Tamron previous to the present DI Macro model. The DI is supposed to be optimized for digital but, I cannot believe that they can get the image quality much sharper than my SP model. IMO the image quality of my Tamron SP Macro ranks right up there with some of my best Canon lenses such as the 70-200mm f/4L IS and the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. That means the Tamron SP Macro is in some pretty heady company.

You will "occasionally" find one of these lenses offered on ebay for between $100 and $200. If you do, I would advise you to snap it up. You will never regret the purchase. I was lucky enough to get my 90mm f/2.8 Tamron SP Macro in super condition for less than $125 including shipping.

The image quality competes very well with the great Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens. It will focus down to a 1:1 image ratio. The auto focus is said not to be as fast as the Canon Macro but, I and many other photographers most often use manual focus when shooting macro.

An additional advantage of the Tamron SP Macro is that it produces creamy smooth bokeh. This is nice when shooting Macro because much of your frame is usually out of focus. Because of the Tamron's 90mm focal length, its f/2.8 aperture and its outstanding bokeh - the Tammy is also a great portrait lens for head and shoulders portraits. In fact; it is often called the "Macro-Portrait Lens".

Finding one of these great lenses on eBay or fred Miranda will take patience. There are just not that many out there for several to be offered at any one time. However, if you do have the patience to locate one, especially for under $200; you will have a wonderful lens at a bargain price.

One warning however; Tamron once produced a 90mm f/2.5 Adaptall Macro lens. This lens, apparently does not offer the quality of the 90mm f/2.8 SP Macro or the DI Macro. Don't be confused and purchase an f/2.5 Adaptall lens by mistake.

I know that the Tamron SP Macro lens was produced with Canon and Nikon mounts and may have been offered with other mounts.

Some excellent info thanks. I ordered the Kenko ext tubes and the battery grip. Waiting for the Canon 100mm Macro to be in stock on Newegg.com and I'll snap that up as well. wooooohhooooo clap.gif this is fun.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com