Options

Creeeeepy.

ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
edited March 16, 2005 in Holy Macro
Wondering around in the mountians can bring you to some odd locations.....:uhoh

17535733-L.jpg

Kidding aside, it was creepy. Light conditions were exactly as they appear. Brighter exposure just washed out. Get this, I was in the middle of freaking no where, hadn't seen a side road off of the one I was on (a side-side road to begin with) in miles. I see this, get out of the truck, and walk up the hill towards the cemetary. I was looking for cool photos, you know how it is. I follow the little double track road up around the hill you see in this picture, and about 50 feet further then where I was standing I begin hearing a hammer banging something. I walk further up and it continues. I turn around and head down, and it stops. Not gets quieter, stops. I went back up to *test* this, and you guessed it, the sound of a hammer returned. It was not a busied, rushed "bangbang bang" you get from someone building a house, it was a lazed, slow "bang..............bang.................bang." You better believe I left.

Looked up the name of the cemetary later (detailed map of area), it's called Mcalls Cemetary.

Creepy.
"There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg

Comments

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Creepy is right. Looks ominous.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    TristanP wrote:
    Creepy is right. Looks ominous.
    It was quite ominous. If I was less freaked out, and actually thinking clearly, I would have climbed the hill and got a better angle.

Reshoot isn't an option. :nono :D
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    That's pretty cool. Go back and do it at night. Here's a suggested process:

Set up the camera on a tripod w/ a very long exposure...30 seconds or more...then walk around and illuminate some of the headstones with a flashlight. Keep moving and you won't show up in the image. I've done a few of those (not in cemetaries, and they come out way cool looking). Here's a sample:

2031738-L.jpg

and processed more...

2032077-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    fish wrote:
    That's pretty cool. Go back and do it at night. Here's a suggested process:

Set up the camera on a tripod w/ a very long exposure...30 seconds or more...then walk around and illuminate some of the headstones with a flashlight. Keep moving and you won't show up in the image. I've done a few of those (not in cemetaries, and they come out way cool looking). Here's a sample:

2031738-L.jpg

and processed more...

2032077-L.jpg
    Very, very nice fish. Why would you give me such a suggestion, knowing fully that'd I'd run out and try it? rolleyes1.gif
    Cool idea man, thanks.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Very, very nice fish. Why would you give me such a suggestion, knowing fully that'd I'd run out and try it? rolleyes1.gif
    Cool idea man, thanks.

EFZ. Let's see it! nod.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    fish wrote:
    EFZ. Let's see it! nod.gif
    You shall, but only once I recover. (what's 'efz?')

I've spent my last two days off tramping about outside taking pictures and riding around, and it's left me with a great case of the headcold. Damn it. umph.gif
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    17535733-S.jpg

Even if it is/was a bit creeepy it is still a very nice shot. Thanks for sharing it.

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Eerie photo for sure, good story too thumb.gif
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    I love this stuff...
    Very cool shot. The story just adds to the gooseflesh on my arms-lol.

If I lived close enough, I'd gladly take a run up there with you. I could hold the baseball bat and you could shoot pictures :D

On a related note...

My sister and I were in a local graveyard (is that politically correct?) and she was taking pictures of headstones and whatnot. When she had them developed one shot had a clear ghostlike image hovering over the headstone. Really freaked us out. This was no chemical blemish either-just a phantom looking thing rising up. I wish I had it to scan and post but it was like 20 years ago.

Nice shot, great story...
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...