Options

20D what would you do

John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
edited March 17, 2005 in Cameras
I received a new Canon 20D last Thursday 3/10/05
The view screen is extremely filthy.Also It seems like some dust is under the lcd as well.
This is the 5th Canon I have owned and the 2nd 20D.So I know what I see.It would be nice to have a clean view for at least a 1000 clicks.:dunno
I called Canon and they said send it to their repair facility.Mine dime with shipping and insurance.
Or should I contact the retailer and have them replace it?
John

Comments

• Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    The view screen is extremely filthy.Also It seems like some dust is under the lcd as well.
    This is the 5th Canon I have owned and the 2nd 20D.So I know what I see.It would be nice to have a clean view for at least a 1000 clicks.ne_nau.gif
    I called Canon and they said send it to their repair facility.Mine dime with shipping and insurance.
    John

First port of call must be to the vendor, in the UK 'Goods fit for the purpose' it must be the same there...
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 15, 2005
    John,

Rather than shelling out more money, I'd see if the retailer could swap it. If so, hopefully you'll wind up with what you expected. If not, you haven't cost yourself any more $ and you'll still have to send it in to Canon service anyway.

Just my opinion,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Yeah, take it back to the seller and get a new one since it hasn't been over X amount of days.

Then get a Nikon. thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Yeah, take it back to the seller and get a new one since it hasn't been over X amount of days.

nod.gif excellent reason to shop at retailer like b&h, onecall.com and many others.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    This is the 5th Canon I have owned and the 2nd 20D.So I know what I see.It would be nice to have a clean view for at least a 1000 clicks.ne_nau.gif
    John

Have the dealer replace it, preferably with a Nikon. You deserve the best John.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    I bought it through CC.com and I gave them a call.They said to take it to a local store,have them credit my account and reorder.No local stores have them in stock..
    Oh,I dont think they know what a nikon isne_nau.gifrofl
    Thank,John
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Retailer. That's BS. Brand new camera should be flawless.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    I bought it through CC.com and I gave them a call.They said to take it to a local store,have them credit my account and reorder.No local stores have them in stock..
    Oh,I dont think they know what a nikon isne_nau.gifrofl
    Thank,John
    I guess I'm lost here. I checked out CC.com and it seems to be some sort of ticket sales outlet. Next, why would a local retailer take the camera you didn't buy there, and give you a credit or exchange? Am I missing something here?

I just recently bought a 70-200 L 2.8 lens from a local store, Keeble & shuchat. I took the lens home did a few quick test shots, all seemed ok. the following week I went on vacation, and the second time I put the lens on the camera the auto focus died. When I got back, I called and they said bring it back and we will exchange it. That is one big reason I like to buy locally from a good store. I know Andy and others have had good service from B&H, but I would have had to pack it up ship etc. The small premium to buy locally was well worth it to me.

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I guess I'm lost here. I checked out CC.com and it seems to be some sort of ticket sales outlet. Next, why would a local retailer take the camera you didn't buy there, and give you a credit or exchange? Am I missing something here?

I just recently bought a 70-200 L 2.8 lens from a local store, Keeble & shuchat. I took the lens home did a few quick test shots, all seemed ok. the following week I went on vacation, and the second time I put the lens on the camera the auto focus died. When I got back, I called and they said bring it back and we will exchange it. That is one big reason I like to buy locally from a good store. I know Andy and others have had good service from B&H, but I would have had to pack it up ship etc. The small premium to buy locally was well worth it to me.

Sam
    Sorry CC= Circuit City
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    Sorry CC= Circuit City
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sam

Sam

Sorry CC= Circuit City

OK, now the post makes sense. :D

Sam
    I was able to return it. They had to order another from their warehouse.They couldnt tell me when I would get itne_nau.gif