How will this print look from smuggy ?

gusgus Major grinsPosts: 16,209Registered Users Major grins
edited January 15, 2008 in Finishing School
.

Comments

  • SamSam San Jose CA Posts: 7,418Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Hi Gus,

    The short answer is "who knows"?

    Getting your print to match what you see on your monitor can be a real can of worms.

    The long answer is you need a calibrated monitor, soft proof with ICC profiles, and run some test prints. Even with all the right stuff, I would recommend test prints.

    If you not ready to jump into the world of color management, and I were you, I would still soft proof with the Smugmug / EZ Print ICC profile to get the image as close as you can with your equipment. Then order a test / proof print in a smaller size. Compare this with what you want, and if its not to far off, just make a visual adjustment and go for it.

    Oh, and one other thing, if your not used to printing a little larger, make sure your image file is as clean as possible. As an example, sensor dust spots, cloning, or other processes that aren't readily visible on a smaller print can jump right off a larger print.

    While I am no expert, and will make no guarantees, I do have a calibrated monitor, and I will offer to look at your image (full res) on my monitor, and give you my thoughts.

    Sam
  • jfriendjfriend Scripting dude-volunteer Posts: 24,828Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    That's an impossible question for us to answer for you because we don't know what you think is "too dark". I have a calibrated and profiled screen. I can look at your image in Photoshop while soft proofing with EZPrints profile to see a simulation of what should print. But, unless you were looking over my shoulder, there's no way for me to share that view with you. What I can tell you is that Smugmug's printer is capable of printing the colors in your image so you shouldn't have that problem.

    My suggestion for this particular project is to order a test print (an 8x10 on the same paper) through Smugmug and see if it looks the way you want it before ordering the enlargement.

    My suggestion for the long run is to calibrate and profile your screen and, if you use a fully color-managed workflow, your prints should look pretty close to your screen when done by a decent printer.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Major grins Posts: 2,788Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Hey Gus,

    Are you color calibrated.. blah blah blah????

    If not. Let me know and we'll get this sorted out for you on my machine. It'll be a bit of an offline conversation to get what you want dialed in. But we'll get it there. thumb.gif

    Cheers,
    -Jon
  • gusgus Major grins Posts: 16,209Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Is the mac colour (man i wish this thing would stop telling me that colour is spelt incorrectly !) calibration method on a site ?
  • SamSam San Jose CA Posts: 7,418Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Is the mac colour (man i wish this thing would stop telling me that colour is spelt incorrectly !) calibration method on a site ?

    I don't know nothing bout mac's except they have too many calories, but on PC one can add a new word to the spell check. :D

    Oh, and let us know what you are doing, and how it works out for you.

    Sam
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Major grins Posts: 2,788Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Is the mac colour (man i wish this thing would stop telling me that colour is spelt incorrectly !) calibration method on a site ?
    In that case. Your not really calibrated.

    Shoot me a PM and I'll take a look at it w/ the EZprints prfile and se if we can get you the results you need the first time.

    This way you'll also have a benchmark image for things like this as well.
    NOTE:
    I'm driving back to Bend, OR tonight so I won't reply till tomorrow at earliest if you take me up on the offer.
  • SamSam San Jose CA Posts: 7,418Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Gus,

    I gots an idea.....................send a full res, RAW file, if-in you got it, to both Sloyerrol, and myself. When you get them back, compare both images, and see if they look similar on your monitor. If both of ours are consistent, then you will have an idea of whet one would see on a calibrated monitor, and have an idea of how far off your monitor is.

    If they are different then use mine. :D

    Sam
  • gusgus Major grins Posts: 16,209Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Gus,

    I gots an idea.....................send a full res, RAW file, if-in you got it, to both Sloyerrol, and myself. When you get them back, compare both images, and see if they look similar on your monitor. If both of ours are consistent, then you will have an idea of whet one would see on a calibrated monitor, and have an idea of how far off your monitor is.

    If they are different then use mine. :D

    Sam
    .
  • SamSam San Jose CA Posts: 7,418Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Be patient...im up to something.

    You mean your down to something? After all you live on the bottom half of the world, with your seasons being reversed. :D

    Sam
  • gusgus Major grins Posts: 16,209Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    You mean your down to something? After all you live on the bottom half of the world, with your seasons being reversed. :D

    Sam

    .
  • jdryan3jdryan3 tao te grin Posts: 1,353Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Is the mac colour (man i wish this thing would stop telling me that colour is spelt incorrectly !) calibration method on a site ?

    Gus, you still need to get a hardware based calibration tool. I use a Spyder 2 Pro. Others like the Huey.

    One very important thing related to Macs is the gamma they use. This post is early in the Andy's Unsolicited Mac Advise Sticky at the top of the forum. Even ignoring the browser color space issues, you need to make sure you set the gamma correctly (2.2 not 1.8). Even Apple's website says you need to do this
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • gusgus Major grins Posts: 16,209Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Gus, you still need to get a hardware based calibration tool. I use a Spyder 2 Pro. Others like the Huey.

    One very important thing related to Macs is the gamma they use. This post is early in the Andy's Unsolicited Mac Advise Sticky at the top of the forum. Even ignoring the browser color space issues, you need to make sure you set the gamma correctly (2.2 not 1.8). Even Apple's website says you need to do this
    .
  • jdryan3jdryan3 tao te grin Posts: 1,353Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    gus wrote:
    So i did this (put it on 2.2.... it was 1.8 btw) & now my screen looks sort of 'tea stained' .. its got a light sepia to it.

    Is that correct ?

    Well if you just changed it without (re)calibrating it is probably using a profile that expects 1.8.

    I'm not sure what the result would look like, but sepia sounds kind of familiar. I calibrated my MacBook Pro monitor, changed the gamma, the whole bit. Then I did it for my 24" FPW and forgot to change it for the DVI output - and got a nice brownish/yellow tone in my grays. More tungsten than sepia in my case.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Glory2Jesus4PhotographyGlory2Jesus4Photography Major grins Posts: 310Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Well if you just changed it without (re)calibrating it is probably using a profile that expects 1.8.

    I'm not sure what the result would look like, but sepia sounds kind of familiar. I calibrated my MacBook Pro monitor, changed the gamma, the whole bit. Then I did it for my 24" FPW and forgot to change it for the DVI output - and got a nice brownish/yellow tone in my grays. More tungsten than sepia in my case.
    I have Macs and if you are trying to calibrate by eye well good luck you better be better then great with color and be able to tell the difference between thousands of colors by the way that is how your Mac thinks you need to spell color and you can just control click over colour and hit learn spelling and it will never say it is miss spelled again. Now Back to what you can do for your color for now. Click your blue apple right top corner of your screen, click system preferences, click Display, (I know you are probably saying I have already done this but bare with me you may have over looked a extra step that will get you closer with out a external calibrator and allow you to use 2.2 gamma) click color, click calibrate, Now there is a box in the window at the bottom with Expert mode, Put a check in this box. Follow the instructions and sit a little ways back from your screen it will make it easer.
    This by no means will replace a external calibrator but it will give you a little more control and get you a little closer unless you have already done all of this and I just wasted a whole lot of typing. Oh well hopefully it can help some one.
    I know my spelling and grammar are poor some times my spell check says "I got nothing
    for you" and there/ their is no grammar check yet so please forgive me Jesus did.
    My Web site:
    http://Glory2Jesus4Photography.smugmug.com/
    My blog: http://glory2jesus4photography.blogspot.com/
  • gusgus Major grins Posts: 16,209Registered Users Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    .
Sign In or Register to comment.