LPS#20 Is it worthy?

tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited January 11, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've already posted this image. C&C are welcome.

In the Spotlight

241451431-L.jpg

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
----Ruth Ann Schubacker

Comments

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Like the composition and the b/w, FWIW My 2 pennies are that the focus on hand needs to be stronger and more detailed, as the positioning of her hand is the focal point. I also would like to see a touch more b/g lighting, at it appears now, to me it seems a bit flat, the subject just melds into the b/g.

Good Luck and Awesome Wishes.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    I like it, though it looks like it has the same problem as my first attempts at lps 19. It's kinda floating in the air (though that maybe the desired effect).

I'd like to see a little more definition in the whole photo (I'm having trouble describing what I mean). Maybe see a little beit more of the face and not have the fedora blend into the darkness.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Funny that when I first looked, I didn't think of the hand, but of the "face" that couldn't be seen. I'm one who is often trying for a dual interpretation of the theme, so I'm careful what to suggest here. If I were just trying to take this photo without the theme in mind, I'd be trying to have a bit of the mouth showing, but I don't know who to direct you.

As for the background, I'm one who is always trying to achieve this "floating" effect, so I have no problem with that, but another take in this could be to do some backlighting to dramatize it a bit. To do that so that the backgound stays black, I wait until dark, open a window in my studio, and use the pitch black as the backgound so there's no background cloth to pick up any light, no reflection to get rid of in processing..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Thanks for the C&C's. Much of what you mentioned, I was thinking as well.

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    I too thought of the hidden face first, then noticed the interesting pose of the hand. I really like this picture - it's got style!
  • Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    I also thought of the hidden face first and really like the idea. As mentioned above i would like to see the hand either more in focus or even maybe more out of focus. Also I think if the positioning of the hand could be a little more relaxed it might add to the picture.

Good luck!
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    I like the lines.
    Growing with Dgrin

• shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    The composition, lines, and mystery are engaging. Would like to see separation from the background though. Good luck!
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Thanks for the comments. I think that what I really like about the image are the lines/composition. I agree the hand needs something--better focus, diffrent shadowing, etc--not sure. I've got some diffrent photos that would fit the theme(s), that are maybe technically better, but I still like this one. What to do....ne_nau.gif

thanks again!!

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker