Options

keywording help, please

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited January 11, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
could some folks post examples of how they have keyworded thier images? I'm having issues with some keywords not showing up. I think it may be due to me having too many keywords for the images...:dunno
A limit was added, correct?

Comments

• Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 9, 2008
    could some folks post examples of how they have keyworded thier images? I'm having issues with some keywords not showing up. I think it may be due to me having too many keywords for the images...ne_nau.gif
    A limit was added, correct?

Only the first fifteen keywords for each photo will be functional. It wasn't an easy decision, but we had to make a cut-off in order to keep keyword searches relevant (especially as stock photography is on its way and will be heavily dependent upon them).
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2008
    Sheaf wrote:
    Only the first fifteen keywords for each photo will be functional. It wasn't an easy decision, but we had to make a cut-off in order to keep keyword searches relevant (especially as stock photography is on its way and will be heavily dependent upon them).

Thanks... I'm also looking for examples of say how someone might keyword a basketball image from a girls game let's say... what keywords would YOU use?
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Format of the keywords?
    I don't want to assume so....
    should each keyword have a comma AND a space after it or, does it matter if I leave a space or not. In other words.....

jo, java, coffee

or

jo,java,coffee

thank you in advance for your help!

markjay

Sheaf wrote:
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Thanks... I'm also looking for examples of say how someone might keyword a basketball image from a girls game let's say... what keywords would YOU use?
    Some great reference material here

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=322569#post322569
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2008
    Thanks!
    Andy...... you are SO helpful! Thank you very much for doing what you do.

Markjay

Andy wrote:
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2008
    How about image signatures?
    Can you embed a digital signature into photos at the same time as key word and captioning them, Andy? In PS CS2 ?

Andy wrote:
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2008
    Markjay wrote:
    Can you embed a digital signature into photos at the same time as key word and captioning them, Andy? In PS CS2 ?
    http://www.digimarc.com/mypicturemarc/
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    yes great reference, but not really what I want... I'm looking for some foks to post actual keyword list(s) for example images... I need to limit mine since I think I have some not showing since SM takes the 1st 15...
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2008
    her's an example of what I started with...

"brandolino imaging" basketball "sophomore basketball" "team sports" event "high school" brandolino frankfort "frankfort illinois" lwn "lincoln-way" "lincoln-way north" vikings "homewood flossmore" "homewood flossmore vikings" "yearbook photography" team sports "lincoln-way north phoenix" "lwn phoenix" "event photography" "sports photography " "girls basketball" "lincoln-way sophomore basketball" "lincoln-way north sophomore basketball" "lincoln-way north phoenix sophomore basketball" "lwn phoenix sophomore basketball" "lincoln-way sophomore gilrs basketball" "lincoln-way north sophomore girls basketball" "lincoln-way north phoenix sophomore girls basketball" "lwn phoenix sophomore girls basketball" "phoenix"

A bit long...
    do the phrases make a difference in terms of an outside SM search? I would not think so... but I'm not sure...
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2008
    I have an idea for you.......
    Not sure where you're going to find keyword lists from smugmuggers but...

why don't you go to one of the microstock sites like:
    http://bigstockphoto.com

There, you can
    QUICKLY search for a term or photo
    Click on the photo that you think is related to one you have
    And simply copy and paste the keywords shown there.

I would do it on the photos that have been downloaded the most if possible... their keywords worked well or, the photo is just so great! :-)

Try it or any other stock photo site who's images show their related keywords and...... good luck!

Markjay
    yes great reference, but not really what I want... I'm looking for some foks to post actual keyword list(s) for example images... I need to limit mine since I think I have some not showing since SM takes the 1st 15...
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2008
    Markjay wrote:
    Not sure where you're going to find keyword lists from smugmuggers but...

why don't you go to one of the microstock sites like:
    http://bigstockphoto.com

There, you can
    QUICKLY search for a term or photo
    Click on the photo that you think is related to one you have
    And simply copy and paste the keywords shown there.

I would do it on the photos that have been downloaded the most if possible... their keywords worked well or, the photo is just so great! :-)

Try it or any other stock photo site who's images show their related keywords and...... good luck!

Markjay

Thanks for the info... As far as where I would find lists... I was hoping that if I asked some kind folks might reply and post their lists...
  • Options
    gulfcoastshootergulfcoastshooter Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Still 15 keywords? Andy says 30
    Sheaf wrote:

According to Andy, the limit has been raised to 30, and the help files are just a bit out of date. Sheaf, can you comment or confirm for those who might come across this thread?

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    Bump!
    I'm REALLY interested in knowing if this is true or not... can someone at smugmug reply so we can be up to date on keyword limitations?

TIA
    According to Andy, the limit has been raised to 30, and the help files are just a bit out of date. Sheaf, can you comment or confirm for those who might come across this thread?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009

Thanks,
    Kevin
    It's 30 - we'll have the keywords help page updated soon.

In the meantime, the wiki page is updated :D
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1572960