today with my boy

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited January 10, 2008 in People
I'm trying to get more comfortable with the photo-journalistic style of portraits. (Seeing Andi's shots always challenges me!) Though I like getting a successful posed shot, I'd like to be successful at capturing real moments. I'm also not really sure how to direct (or not direct) a shoot in order to capture real moments, especially with folks who seem to need and/or expect direction. Anyway, I decided it would be good practice to just try and follow my son around a bit today. Here are three shots that I liked.

#1 - A boy's work is never done... The angle may be a bit much for some, but I'm kinda liking it, actually.
241726693-L-1.jpg

#2 - Happy Camper. (He has a mug of hot cocoa sitting on the table in front of him!) I have a difficult time capturing him looking straight at the camera, so I was pleased with this.
241732867-L.jpg

#3 - Drink up! The mug is a bit distracting, but he chose it because it is "Daddy's coffee mug." I liked seeing his mouth full and his cocoa mustache.
241728496-L-1.jpg

I'm also attempting to get a bit bolder with my processing. Any feedback is appreciated!
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Classics! Well done to these eyes.
    Growing with Dgrin

• DNagataDNagata Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    I really love the first one -- the variety of color and texture is just beautiful! And I do like the angle, it makes it a great composition. thumb.gif
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    "Real life" shots don't ask for direction in my opinion. Depending...
    I think it was a good thing to follow your son in what he was doing, without directing him. The minute you direct, it becomes usually posed again.
    We need to control the camera, not the people we shoot if we want to go to a journalistic way... How do other people see this? Would be interesting to know...
  • javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    photocat wrote:
    I think it was a good thing to follow your son in what he was doing, without directing him. The minute you direct, it becomes usually posed again.
    We need to control the camera, not the people we shoot if we want to go to a journalistic way... How do other people see this? Would be interesting to know...

Very nice. Wonderful color.
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Elaine, these are wonderful. I love #1. He's a handsome kid!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    Classics! Well done to these eyes.
    Thank you!

DNagata wrote:
    I really love the first one -- the variety of color and texture is just beautiful! And I do like the angle, it makes it a great composition.
    Thank you very much! I appreciate the comments.

photocat wrote:
    In this setting, and because it was my son, it wasn't too difficult to just follow him and do some clicking. But in a family photo shoot setting, I've experienced some families who seem to just be waiting around for directions, which makes it difficult to capture moments of interaction.

Very nice. Wonderful color.
    Thanks for looking and commenting!

hamster wrote:
    Elaine, these are wonderful. I love #1. He's a handsome kid!
    Thanks much! Yes, we think he's a rather good looking kid!
    Elaine

• DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    I love them! You always get great photos of your son.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Hey Elaine !!! Awesome candids!!!

#1 is a pretty neat capture. I think it could benifit from some LR vignettes.

#2 is really nice. Excellent sharpness on him, and I really like the blue and orange that is going on in his shirt and in the BG.

Super nice.

I think that if you do ANY directing of these types of shots, you are best off to limit that directing to having them in the position that the light is best.....as long as it doesn't spoil the moment. The light looks fine in these, I am only saying that if you had a nice low sun, you could have him turn in one direction or the other to help you get some backlit shots, or to get the sun at a 45degree angle.

These are real neat!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    edited January 10, 2008
    Thanks, David! How nice of you to say that. :D

Thank you very much, Jeff! I had LR vignettes in mind with the first one too, but LR sill freaks me out! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I did apply some regular vignetting to it.

Your thoughts on direction are similar to what I've thought before. I figure if I could just position myself the best for the light, then that would require the least amount of direction. I still get so frozen in the moment, though. Practice, practice, practice, I guess. thumb.gif
    Elaine

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Wonderful candid captures of your son Elaine - my kind of work for sure. I'm assuming no flash was used on the second and third shots - so what ISO setting was used and what shutter speeds were you getting? Did you process those for noise at all?

Great stuff........
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
    edited January 10, 2008
    bauerman wrote:
    Wonderful candid captures of your son Elaine - my kind of work for sure. I'm assuming no flash was used on the second and third shots - so what ISO setting was used and what shutter speeds were you getting? Did you process those for noise at all?

Great stuff........

Thank you! You're right, no flash. 2 and 3 were ISO 1000, 2.8 and 1/60. I did do a little bit of noise reduction - used a layer set to no more than 50% opacity, I think...even less on the 3rd one, if I remember right. Hope that helps, and thanks for the look!
    Elaine

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Oh, Elaine. He's just so handsome.
    He looks so much like his mom!!!

Nicely done. I like the first one.