E-3 Popular Photo Review

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited January 15, 2008 in Cameras
The review on Popular Photography of the E-3 came out recently and it was extremely positive. Horay for Oly! Here is the link:
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4924/camera-test-olympus-e-3.html

To pull a quote from the review:
"Any photographer will fall for the E-3's amazing image quality in RAW mode (even at high ISOs), sophisticated yet easy-to-master controls, and body built to handle pro challenges without concern for the safety of its LCD. Olympus, this looks like true love."
:barb
OK, now I need a kind-hearted donor to buy me one:wink Any takers?

Comments

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Good for Olympus! The bar is really being raised with new releases from all the manufacturers.

The price point suprises me a bit. The quality may be there but with a lot of photographers purchasing their 2nd and 3rd generation Dslrs, I might guess that Oly needs to be ultra-competetive with price to buy some market share back. But that's just a guess.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Good for Olympus! The bar is really being raised with new releases from all the manufacturers.

The price point suprises me a bit. The quality may be there but with a lot of photographers purchasing their 2nd and 3rd generation Dslrs, I might guess that Oly needs to be ultra-competetive with price to buy some market share back. But that's just a guess.

Part of the problem is people percieve if things cost more they must be better. If it was closer to a $1000 range camera no one would take it seriously. Its features compete with the D300 just fine, so why shortchange it?
    For example: The E-510 blows all the other "budget" SLR's out of the water in terms of features, yet, people don't perceive it to be any better because (in my opinion) it is priced lower than cameras such as the XTI and the D80.

Anyway - I am just excited the E-3 looks so great!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 10, 2008
    One thing they don't mention in the review is the new "commander" type wireless flash control system with 4 channels and 3 groups. I am not clear if this is "light" based or radio based, but it is still a very nice upgrade to previous Olympus models. To complete the wireless capability you would also have to use one of the new "R" suffixed Olympus flashes, but it still remarkable.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    I haven't read the article yet, but I plan to. Harjtt did a post a while back with his thoughts. I remember thinking after I read it that I was glad that I didn't pick one up, cause I would have left the store with it.

Wish it was that simple. It was just eating away at me anyway. So, I bought one a couple of weeks ago and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.

I wrote to Harj and told him I would add my thoughts to his post, but I just haven't had the time yet. I will mention what I like the most so far: 1) Image quality at high ISOs; 2) Shutter speed; 3) Controls (more function buttons so less need to use the LCD menu; 4 nice bright viewfinder.

I also did trade in my FL50 for the FL50R. It seems to use pulses of light to control it. I was expecting it to be really slow, but it seems to be as responsive as a radio controlled. I haven't done any significant testing with it yet. I am considering picking up another. A lot lighter than my Hensels AND it supports super FP (high shutter speed).

So, Hooray for Olympus! clap.gif
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    One thing they don't mention in the review is the new "commander" type wireless flash control system with 4 channels and 3 groups. I am not clear if this is "light" based or radio based, but it is still a very nice upgrade to previous Olympus models. To complete the wireless capability you would also have to use one of the new "R" suffixed Olympus flashes, but it still remarkable.

Ziggy, Olympus only describes it as "RC". Now that could mean radio control or remote control ... I personally don't know and have not investigated.

I have an E3 and it is a very impressive camera. The learning curve is steep as this is not an "interchangable lens P&S" as I like to refer to some consumer DSLRs. It is aimed at the advanced enthusiast market and I think that certain types of "Pro" could make good use of it too.

In all fairness to potential buyers I must point out that there have been some QC issues with some bodies and the new SWD lenses from the first batch. So far it seems to be a firmware issue and Oly has already addressed most of it. I have extensive experience with Olympus products and I must say that QC issues are almost unheard of and so I find these recent problems with the E3 and lens firmware to be a little unsettling. My camera is fine and has no issues of any nature but as I understand it the copies that had problems were centered around the AF system. I strongly suspect that at least some of these problems were due to user ignorance. As I said the learning curve is steep and that certainly applies to the AF system as well. AF has several user selectable parameters and modes (more and different than any other camera I've used) and it is not initially clear which is best for which given types of shooting. Also, AF is lighting fast.

As a 35mm photographer transitioning to digital, I found the original E1 exceeded my expectations and I quite happily used that camera to produce better work than I ever did with 35mm film, but the E3 now represents a quantum improvement over the E1 and I am very, very happy.

Cheers
    Bob
    See with your Heart
    edited January 11, 2008
    For those of you that have an E-3 (envy is boiling inside me), would you be willing to post some pics?
    edited January 11, 2008
    For those of you that have an E-3 (envy is boiling inside me), would you be willing to post some pics?

I have some on my web site that I'll link here when I get this old printing press up and running and behaving itself. But to be perfectly honest, you will not see any difference between the E3 and the E1 at web size and resolution. Except for improved dynamic range (the E3 is better than a 35mm transparency) and good high ISO performance (actually useable at 3200) the look of the E3 images is very close to the E1. Olympus has succeeded in retaining that old E1 magic even without the Kodak FFT sensor. The 10mp resolution begins to show as an advantage only in enlargements beyond 16x20 inches. This is NOT to say that the E3 is not spectacular but rather to point out how good the E1 actually was.

In terms of Dynamic Range the E3 offers some very nice in camera processing functions that will render a high conrast scene as good as a color negative film!!! One of these works on both jpeg and raw and the other works on jpeg only. However, raws can be converted to jpeg in camera. I have found these proceedures to be easier than HDR processing on computer and the results are as good or better. As with all Olympus cameras, jpeg compression at the top quality setting is only 1:2.7 which can hardly even be called lossy.

Stay tuned, I'll link some photos soon.

Bob
    See with your Heart
    edited January 11, 2008
    OK, her are some photos from the E3. You will, of course, bear in mind that it's winter here and good photo opps are rare:

2807591350102113014S600x600Q85.jpg

2204076040102113014S600x600Q85.jpg

2862249210102113014S600x600Q85.jpg

2569459830102113014S600x600Q85.jpg

2141832250102113014S600x600Q85.jpg

2640544010102113014S600x600Q85.jpg

2116484280102113014S600x600Q85.jpg

2467838890102113014S600x600Q85.jpg

Hope this helps.

Bob
    See with your Heart
    edited January 11, 2008

I really don't have any shots yet that really flaunt the prowess of the E-3. Here is a link to HarjTT's gallery of E-3 test shots http://harjtt.smugmug.com/gallery/3985943 which I got from his thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=78634 (just in case you haven't seen it yet).

Not to come in empty handed, here are a couple of shots from my only real playtime with it so far:

http://aktpics.smugmug.com/gallery/3641467#237959293
    237959293-L.jpg

And, my god-daughter Tyra:
    http://aktpics.smugmug.com/gallery/3659245#237965613
    237965613-L.jpg

I plan on doing something similar to what HarjTT did this weekend...
    edited January 11, 2008
    OK, her are some photos from the E3. You will, of course, bear in mind that it's winter here and good photo opps are rare:
    Hope this helps.

Bob

Those are some sweet shots, Bob. I love the range and detail on the doe...
    edited January 11, 2008
    Thanks Bob,
    The dynamic range on the snow image is impressive.
  • shutterdadshutterdad Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 12, 2008
    Oly envy
    Hi people, My name is Phil. I bought a e-500 2 yrs ago and just love it. I did a fair amount of research before the purchase and I feel I made the right choice. As was mentioned earlier, I must agree that a lot of the dslr cameras are glorified p&s. When I graduate my o&g land admin course this spring my grad present will be the e3.
    I've found I can go from shot to print w/o much or any adjustment at all. I have a couple friends with expensive Nikons and Cannon dslrs and 90% of the time I can outshoot them. They have many years of photog experience over me. Yes Olympus is a great product, but it is like a "Best kept secret". Could one of you oly pros start a "main group" here. It seems a product of this calibre needs to be a headliner instead of 'those other guys'
    www.shutterdad.smugmug.com
    I'm not the best, I'm not the worst, I'm still learning.
    Bob your shots are amazing.
    Phil Twin - Shutterdad
    edited January 12, 2008
    shutterdad wrote:
    When I graduate my o&g land admin course this spring my grad present will be the e3.
    That's a pretty sweet present!
    edited January 13, 2008
    shutterdad wrote:
    Hi people, My name is Phil. I bought a e-500 2 yrs ago and just love it. I did a fair amount of research before the purchase and I feel I made the right choice. As was mentioned earlier, I must agree that a lot of the dslr cameras are glorified p&s. When I graduate my o&g land admin course this spring my grad present will be the e3.
    I've found I can go from shot to print w/o much or any adjustment at all. I have a couple friends with expensive Nikons and Cannon dslrs and 90% of the time I can outshoot them. They have many years of photog experience over me. Yes Olympus is a great product, but it is like a "Best kept secret". Could one of you oly pros start a "main group" here. It seems a product of this calibre needs to be a headliner instead of 'those other guys'
    www.shutterdad.smugmug.com
    I'm not the best, I'm not the worst, I'm still learning.
    Bob your shots are amazing.
    Phil Twin - Shutterdad

Phil, with all due respect to DGrin and Smugmug a dedicated Olympus group wouldn't fly here - too much prejudice. If you want to hang out with 4/3rds crowd try http://fourthirdsphoto.com or http://egroup.uk.net/forum/index.php

But really, a camera is a camera these days. I know that wars can get started over brand loyalty but when you boil it all down none of them can do anything without the photographer. I know I've gone on at length here about the E3 and, of course it's my tool of choice for reasons which are largely subjective, but it's still only a tool --- I am the photographer. I make the photographs and all the informed decisions that go into making good photographs. I'm really much more interested in photographs than in cameras. Thanks for the nod on my pictures.

Bob
    See with your Heart
  • harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Phil, with all due respect to DGrin and Smugmug a dedicated Olympus group wouldn't fly here - too much prejudice. If you want to hang out with 4/3rds crowd try http://fourthirdsphoto.com or http://egroup.uk.net/forum/index.php

But really, a camera is a camera these days. I know that wars can get started over brand loyalty but when you boil it all down none of them can do anything without the photographer. I know I've gone on at length here about the E3 and, of course it's my tool of choice for reasons which are largely subjective, but it's still only a tool --- I am the photographer. I make the photographs and all the informed decisions that go into making good photographs. I'm really much more interested in photographs than in cameras. Thanks for the nod on my pictures.

Bob

Hi Bob and the rest of the guys and Gal's

Nice to see people shooting with the E3 and whats even better is that your posting pics at dgrin as well thumb.gif:D. Personally, I really like the open nature of the camera forum here at dgrin - its really cool to have the likes of ziggy and the others who shoot with Canon or Nikon add some of their thoughts and comments too. I've yet to see any real negativity aimed at any Oly/Panaleica user.

Atkins - glad you liked the E3, its a very tempting beatsie when you see it in the flesh. In the pics it can look pretty ugly but up close its a different ball game. I've not got the E3 just yet, although with my E1 not behaving recently I may end up getting one sooner than later. Everything that I've seen from the camera so far I've been happy with, esp the high ISO which to my eyes after my wee play with the E3 seems to be very good upto ISO1250. My only negatives are (1) increase in size and weight, although with my 35-100F2 the setup seemed a lot more balanced (2) No PASM dial and the power switch location - I think the E1 had that just right.

With the current batch of camera's from any of the manufacturers you can;t really go wrong, as theyre all pretty impressive in regards to IQ, feature setsetc, all you just need is good glass and time to shoot.

Cheers

HarjTT

thumb.gif:D
    edited January 14, 2008
    harjtt wrote:
    Hi Bob and the rest of the guys and Gal's

Nice to see people shooting with the E3 and whats even better is that your posting pics at dgrin as well thumb.gif:D. Personally, I really like the open nature of the camera forum here at dgrin - its really cool to have the likes of ziggy and the others who shoot with Canon or Nikon add some of their thoughts and comments too. I've yet to see any real negativity aimed at any Oly/Panaleica user.

Atkins - glad you liked the E3, its a very tempting beatsie when you see it in the flesh. In the pics it can look pretty ugly but up close its a different ball game. I've not got the E3 just yet, although with my E1 not behaving recently I may end up getting one sooner than later. Everything that I've seen from the camera so far I've been happy with, esp the high ISO which to my eyes after my wee play with the E3 seems to be very good upto ISO1250. My only negatives are (1) increase in size and weight, although with my 35-100F2 the setup seemed a lot more balanced (2) No PASM dial and the power switch location - I think the E1 had that just right.

With the current batch of camera's from any of the manufacturers you can;t really go wrong, as theyre all pretty impressive in regards to IQ, feature setsetc, all you just need is good glass and time to shoot.

Cheers

HarjTT

thumb.gif:D

Thanks for the thoughts HarjTT!
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Thanks for all the information and the photos. I would like to see more photos taken with the E-3 so keep em' coming.deal.gif

I ran into an Olympus sales rep the other day while in the camera shop and he had the E-3 with the 12-60 SWD. He let me play with it for 20 minutes and I really like the feel of the camera and how easy it was to make adjustments. I was most impressed and had a small internal debate whether to get it or some other gear.

I am going to hold out for a little while and instead get my hands on the 7-14, ec-20, and a new tripod head. Tough decision, I am sure I will jump to the E-3 as soon as I have the money to do so.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 15, 2008
    harjtt wrote:
    ... Personally, I really like the open nature of the camera forum here at dgrin - its really cool to have the likes of ziggy and the others who shoot with Canon or Nikon add some of their thoughts and comments too. I've yet to see any real negativity aimed at any Oly/Panaleica user. ...

Thanks for your kind comments. clap.gif

I personally want to say thanks to all of the users who share their photos and experiences here and are the people who have made this site one of the best resources of photography that has ever been. clap.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums