Not Watching Disney

shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
edited January 14, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Had a nice little snow storm last night with wind. Have a wonderful 3' snow drift in the front yard. Taking a partial snow day. Soooo, had time to put this together. Better than the building?

Possible Titles
"Not Watching Disney"
"Self Censorship"
"Modified Sensory Input"
"Protection"

241854043-L.jpg

241854759-L.jpg

Thanks for looking! Snow plow just came by, better go finish digging out the driveway and get to work.

Comments

• Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Suhweet! Really nice concept and processing.

Like the first one because its easer to tell they are all her hands...

I prefer "Self Censorship" because of the combination of her age and one eye uncovered...

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    I like the second one better. Seemed more impactful to me. Focuses attention immediately on the face and hands. The first one causes my eyes to look around.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Had a nice little snow storm last night with wind. Have a wonderful 3' snow drift in the front yard. Taking a partial snow day. Soooo, had time to put this together. Better than the building?

Possible Titles
    "Not Watching Disney"
    "Self Censorship"
    "Modified Sensory Input"
    "Protection"

Thanks for looking! Snow plow just came by, better go finish digging out the driveway and get to work.

I like every single aspect: the light, technique and the concept, but something bothers me enough to NOT like it as whole ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    I like the tight crop and think it's a great candidate.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    I prefer the first (looser crop), and I think this is a very neat idea. My eyes keep getting drawn to her wrists on the hands over her ears, though, as they are the brightest spot in the photo. They are the part that most looks PS'd in as it feels like they should have more shadows from the hands over her eyes obscuring them somehow. ne_nau.gif

On the closer cropped version, the mask is a bit visible on the lower part of the left hand (our right) over her ear, where it overlaps the hand over her eye.

I really like all the title choices, but the geek in me is drawn most to "Modified Sensory Input." :D With "Not Watching Disney" a very close contender.

BTW, your children should really consider going into theatre. They emote wonderfully in front of your lens!
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Well, you are the compomaster...

I like the looser crop as an image the best, but the tighter crop may fit the theme better..

I keep staring at it to try to find the seems. What I keep looking at are her mouth and cheeks, at how the nose-line doesn't match up with the mouth, but I can't tell if it's the psing or if it's the pressure from all those handsrolleyes1.gif ?
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Thank you everyone for your input and comments. Hopefully I'll have some time before the end of the week to do some tweaking. Thanks again to each of you.
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    That's a really cool concept and well executed. I see merits to both the tight and loose crops, so I can't offer an opinion there. I like the title "Not Watching Disney" best.

I doubt you want to reshoot/composite and I think it is really strong as it is, but if for some reason you did shoot again, you could carry the title one step further and light the subject with a TV (or make her appear to be lit by a TV). The current lighting is very good, but in some sense generic. On the other hand, going for the effect I'm thinking of might be more of a challenge than its worth!

Great shot!

Ken
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Thanks for your thoughts kwalsh. It made me think of a new idea.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    OMG, you've added "reagan tears" rolleyes1.gif
    Cool! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Laughing.gif Cool Tears and New Title!!

Looking at the actual entry, I would like to see it w/o the hands on the ears...I think that the focal point is so strong on the front of the face especially with the addition of the tears, that the hands on the ears are just "extra". But I might suggest some more blending on the hands/wrist of the hands on the ears.

Nice composition.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • cbsnetcbsnet Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    shatch wrote:

Really like the changes except the tears....the tv relection in the eye is great!!

-carl
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    I like the 2nd too. clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Very Cool!

I bet she is thrilled to be your main subject for once, instead of her brother :D
    (I am assuming much here but...)
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Oooooo.... I like the new direction you've taken!

Ken