Youth Basketball

photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited January 18, 2008 in Sports
I started shooting sports mainly due to my Girlfriends two kid and all the sporting events they managed to get into. So far, in the year since I started shooting digital images of his and her teams, I have shot soccer (my favorite), football, cheerleading and basketball. The challenge I have been facing lately is getting a tack sharp image that I like of the action. Here are some of my shots from this past weekend, C & C welcome and desired!

1. Wow I can dribble!!! I pick on him beacuse he gets excited and forget to dribble sometimes.
240596317-S.jpg

2. The squeeze play.
240535566-S.jpg

3. He breaks from the pack... (to much flash in this oen need to reprocess)
240559883-S.jpg

4. Being taller than the boys pays off.
240624942-S.jpg

The rest of the gallery is here: http://www.photoj.biz/gallery/4122658/8/240624942

I hope you enjoy them and please let me know what you think and ways to make improvements. I had a dickens of a time in this gym, it was much darker than our normal location and I only had a single flash with me. I really want to get the flash off the camera soon, so I can cut down on the red eye and get some diffrent lighting.

Photoj
"Make it don't take it!"

Jason

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Some nice action here.
    But you really need to tone down that flash. The last one has a good exposure but the rest are all flash burned. It's especially important with pale skin not to overdo it. It's another reason I prefer to use a fast prime rather than flash. Flash sports photography can be done but it's very difficult to do well. Still nice action and timing. Just tone down the flash a bit and you'll have some real keepers.
  • photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Thanks...Comments
    johng wrote:
    Some nice action here.
    But you really need to tone down that flash. The last one has a good exposure but the rest are all flash burned. It's especially important with pale skin not to overdo it. It's another reason I prefer to use a fast prime rather than flash. Flash sports photography can be done but it's very difficult to do well. Still nice action and timing. Just tone down the flash a bit and you'll have some real keepers.

johng,
    :D Thanks for the comment s, I agree on the 9496500-Ti.gifflash burn. The gym was poorly lit. I didn't realize just how bad I had burnt them until I pulled them up at home. We go back there this weekend, I am going to reduce the flash exposue and try for a better result.

photoj
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    photoj wrote:
    johng,
    :D Thanks for the comment s, I agree on the 9496500-Ti.gifflash burn. The gym was poorly lit. I didn't realize just how bad I had burnt them until I pulled them up at home. We go back there this weekend, I am going to reduce the flash exposue and try for a better result.

photoj

You could try bouncing the flash as well. Here is what I did to help with my flash problem.

flashcard.jpg

I just used a 3x5 recipe card and cut 1.5" off the side.

*Edit* Forgot to say that you should leave the side that the flash bounces off of white. I'm going to be making another one that isn't all black, it soaks up a little too much light.
  • photojphotoj Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Good idea
    Matt336 wrote:
    You could try bouncing the flash as well. Here is what I did to help with my flash problem.

flashcard.jpg

I just used a 3x5 recipe card and cut 1.5" off the side.

*Edit* Forgot to say that you should leave the side that the flash bounces off of white. I'm going to be making another one that isn't all black, it soaks up a little too much light.

Geat idea, I'll try it. I took soem shots last weekend but have not processed them due to computer problems. I should have them up by the first of the week. I have the last basketball shoot this weekend and then we switch back to Soccer. I am looking forward to the switch.
    "Make it don't take it!"

Jason