new to Canon...used 20D or new XTi?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited January 11, 2008 in Cameras
I have a friend who's wanting to really dig into photography and he's basically starting from the ground up in the equipment department as he'd like to switch to Canon (from Pentax). He's also on a limited budget and considering a used 20D or a new XTi kit. The Rebel has 2-years-newer technology, but I know the 20D is a much loved camera as well. Any thoughts or pointers?
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Thats a tough one..the XTi has the focus inards from the 20/30/40D, and one could argue a newer sensor...not going to say better.

I think it would come down to how the 20D vs XTi feels for him, many prefer the larger body on the 20D. On the other hand, the bigger screen on the XTi is cool.

If cost is an issue, he may want to consider a used XT as well, esp if he is new...he can save $$ for lenses.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    I would go for a used or refurb 30D. May be able to find a new one for a great price due to the release of the 40D. It's a newer camera than the 20D, and has some noticeable improvements over the 20D, and, is MUCH better built than the XTi. I say go for the 30D.
    Also, why is your friend switching from Pentax? The K10D is an AMAZING price right now (pentax has $100 rebates till the end of the month) - and its features and build compete with the 30D, but much less expensive. Also the K100D super is as inexpensive an SLR as you will find - but more feature packed than the XTi.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Thanks for the quick feedback. I did point out the size difference...I personally didn't like the feel of the XT a couple years ago but didn't have the money to get the 20D then (so I bought KM 5D). I forgot about the LCD size difference.

My friend has the Pentax K110D right now, and because he's really wanting to make a go of it with photography, I think he feels a bit limited at the thought of being able to purchase their top of the line product for $700. Where to grow from there? I'm not very familiar with Pentax, but I'm guessing that a 20/30D or XTi would be a step up from his current rig, yes?
    Elaine

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 10, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    ... If cost is an issue, he may want to consider a used XT as well, esp if he is new...he can save $$ for lenses.

I would second the XT. I still use mine for a travel kit and it is still great, especially if you shoot RAW with it.

You can get the XT plus "kit" lens from B&H for $460USD, brand new. Add the Canon EF 50mm, f1.8 for low light and portraits and you have a good basic kit, capable of covering many shooting situations.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/371191-REG/Canon_0209B003_EOS_Digital_Rebel_XT.html

I would also suggest a basic flash like the Sunpak 383 and some home made light modifiers for a more complete system.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    If he is thinking seriously about photography and can live with a 1.8 inch LCD, I'd go with the 20D mainly for the greater number of features and perhaps more importantly a more robust build.

The XTi has a better AF system, slightly, and a larger LCD, but I would not have it as my main body (I have it as a back up) as it's not the robust and doesn't feel as nice to use.

I agree with another poster here who suggested a used/refurb 30D. It has a bit more features, larger buffer and LCD, and a nicer AF system.
    edited January 10, 2008
    Thanks for the continued feedback folks!

I got some more specific info tonight. He said that the XTi is "almost exactly the same size as the K110D" that he's currently using, so he doesn't think that the size would be a deterrent for him. He currently has 6mps and I think he likes the idea of 10mps in the XTi, but he's asked if the mps are not as important as some of the other features, of say a 20/30D. In short, I would say "no," but I guess it depends on what you're after. What would be some of the features of the 20 or 30D that may outweigh the 10mps of the XTI?

He's also trying to stay under $600 for starting out (that needs to include a lens).

Thanks for the help!
    Elaine

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    30D vs XTi (I have both)
    30D has a better viewfinder, Magnesium body, 100K vs 50K shutter life, longer battery life, ISO in 1/3 steps to 3200 vs one stops only to 1600, less noise than the XTi, spot metering, 5 fps vs 3 fps, 11 vs 9 RAW image buffer (IIRC), ability to press the button and see/change ISO in the viewfinder, better ergonomics.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 10, 2008
    Elaine,

If your friend were to purchase the system I described they would be:

In budget
    Brand new
    2 lenses
    1 versatile flash

A fairly complete system.

Describe to your friend that a good lens (the EF 50mm, f1.8 is a very good lens) and good light (the Supak flash can be used for both fill and main light source, especially with a couple of cheap modifiers) will make much more difference and improvement than the camera alone.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 11, 2008
    Thanks for all the pointers, everyone! I've shared this info with him and we'll see what he decides. thumb.gif
    Elaine