found on Wichita, KS craigslist - new 5D with...

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited January 12, 2008 in Cameras
A brand new 5D WITH 24-105 L, for $1300!!??

http://wichita.craigslist.org/pho/531253162.html
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    This HAS to be a scam...
    Lens alone is worth at least $900. Be wary of the seller trying to get any information from you/sending you to another website. If the seller is local, meet somewhere public and bring someone with you. There have been cases on craigslist of people selling cars way below market cost only to mug the seller on arrival to an out-of-the-way location.
    Be very careful Elaine.
    E
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    This HAS to be a scam...
    Lens alone is worth at least $900. Be wary of the seller trying to get any information from you/sending you to another website. If the seller is local, meet somewhere public and bring someone with you. There have been cases on craigslist of people selling cars way below market cost only to mug the seller on arrival to an out-of-the-way location.
    Be very careful Elaine.
    E

Thanks! I live in Oregon and am in no way going to pursue this. I was looking at the Kansas listings on a whim for friend, though. It does have an air of "too good to be true" around it, doesn't it? It could also be a case of someone selling something they have no clue about.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Looks like a scam to sell a new body that can be sold for almost $2000 for only $1300. I'd bet if you search other craiglist, the same ads will pop up.

Usually, the seller states that they just moved to Europe and if yo send a camera via a fake website mimicing a EU delivery service that shows that an item is being sent and asks you to send a money gram. You send cash and noting arrives.
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    It's a SCAM. Note no location at the bottom. These pop all around the country and I've comm'd with some of the scammers. The ones I've dealt with are either out of Florida or Ontairo Canada.

Once again, if it sounds to good to be true......................................
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    now I am curious, so going to send email and ask to come by and see it in person as I do live in almost downtown Wichita so the whole city is almost equal distance....gotta have a go at this if for nothing else I am home from work with a congested chest............I'll let ya know what what I find mwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    now I am curious, so going to send email and ask to come by and see it in person as I do live in almost downtown Wichita so the whole city is almost equal distance....gotta have a go at this if for nothing else I am home from work with a congested chest............I'll let ya know what what I find mwink.gif

Art-
    Just make sure you meet somewhere public. Not to keep scaring people but this could easily turn into a very quick loss of $1300.
    E
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Art looks pretty tough in his avitar. And he handles bridezillas all the time. I'll bet you he's not worried about no stinkin crooks!
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Keep us posted Art... thumb.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Art looks pretty tough in his avitar. And he handles bridezillas all the time. I'll bet you he's not worried about no stinkin crooks!

:D:D:D not tough at all.....bridezillasiloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif just gotta love 'emrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Update.....I fired of an email after posting here stating I would bring check book and wanted to meet at (my fav Asian Resturant) Cafe Asia or at any cafe that the sellar wanted but I wanted to see camera in person before purchasing and that I figured this was a good way to be introducted to digital photograhy and moive away from film as I was still using and old film AE1 and it was time to move up....also stated that if the sellar did not want to take a check I would bring 13 - 100 dollar bills or even a money order....I want that camera.

That was at like 3:48 am .....absolutely no repply,,,,none ......notta.....Oh well.... will see if I happen to get any replies tomorrow.........rolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    If someone says they'll bring cold hard cash and doesn't reply.. rolleyes1.gif
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    You know, you could always send him an email about that several million dollars that you have...if only you could get it into the country. I mean in exchange for the seller helping you by allowing you to transfer money into their account until you get to the country, I am sure you would be happy to pay them equal to the price of the 5D....

Oh wait...did you say you were from Kansas or Kenya?
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    You know, you could always send him an email about that several million dollars that you have...if only you could get it into the country. I mean in exchange for the seller helping you by allowing you to transfer money into their account until you get to the country, I am sure you would be happy to pay them equal to the price of the 5D....

Oh wait...did you say you were from Kansas or Kenya?

To be fair, is not usually Kenya, but Nigeria... www.scamorama.com wings.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    To be fair, is not usually Kenya, but Nigeria... www.scamorama.com wings.gif

yeah but Nigeria wouldn't be easily confused with Kansas rolleyes1.gif

(I don't think it would...last time I drove thru Kansas it was just me and the corn.)