Options

Banana Slug

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited January 12, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Not a great shot, but it was quite large.

Comments

• Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    I've seen some of those things about 9" long. When I was a kid my aunt hated those things and would pay me 25 cents for each one I would shoot with my bb gun. I would go out and shot 10-12 make sure they were dead then go get her to show her. After a while she didn't want to see them so she would say here's five bucks go kill some slugs. I was one big bad hunterrolleyes1.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    I was one big bad hunterrolleyes1.gif Eric

:eat

Hopefully you saved that cash for camera gear!!
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    So like baby pigeons...has any one ever really seen a baby banana slug?
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Ewww.. I'm not sure what I was expecting from the title! I saw banana.. not the 'slug' part lol. Lovely photo from the brief moment I looked at it.. until I realized it was a little slimy creature! I just can't bring myself to look at him too closely! lol I'm such a girl!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    What a great find
    Aren't they fun? It's a mascot of one of our schools out here in California (no nasty comments, please!) :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_California,_Santa_Cruz

I finally found one when I was shooting fall leaves. I took a few photos of the slug among the leaves on the ground, then found a branch and kind of got it on the branch and had poor hubby hold it in the air for me so I could get more shots of it.

A few weeks later we saw some smaller skinnier ones not too far from the edge of the road.

I must admit they sure are strange looking critters. I have no idea what they feel like because I didn't touch the slug.

At least they don't move very fast, so they make great subjects. I understand you can see them along the coast into the Pacific Northwest. They are various colors too.

You need a small f-stop to get it in focus. I think now I'd use my telephoto, but at the time I didn't have one.

I saw a mailbox on the side of the road with the slug featured. Only if you ask nicely will I try to find the photo and post it for you :D
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Not a great shot, but it was quite large.

What a beast! I've never seen one of these before David.
    It doesn't look ugly though, love the under part of the body we can just see as it glides along.

Interesting shot thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Oh yes...these are quite prevelant here in Oregon! They can wreak havoc in a garden. My brother was quite the slug hunter, growing up, too! This one doesn't seem to have spots...maybe that's a maturity thing?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Did you know banana slugs can hang from trees on their own slime trail? Yum!
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    In the tree's? My gosh, northwest wolverines! Can you imagine a slug jumping. Those two words (slug/jump) just don't go together. What an oxymoron!
    Growing with Dgrin