Choice: Nikon D40 or Canon 350D

BluzBluz Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited January 14, 2008 in Cameras
Hello Guys.

I'm new here and have a doubt... I want to upgrade my camera, at now I have the Konica Minolta Z5, nice camera, but not SLR and very poor to inside shots (to much noise when without flash).

Which the best choice, Nikon D40 or Canon 350D? Any suggestion is welcome.:thumb

Thanks.

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    I don't actually have either camera, however, when I was looking in that price range I played with both and found that the Nikon felt better.

The Canon XT/XTi just feels cheap and plasticy (because it is), the Nikon felt more solid and was a little bit bigger. I would definately suggest the 40x over the XTi.

One other thing to consider is this: what is your "ultimate" camera? If you want (but dont have money for) a Canon 1DsMK111 - then go with the XT/XTi so you can use the same lenses. However, if you love the highend Nikon and this is a starter first step - go with the 40x.

In the end I decided to skip this step and saved up enough to get the Canon 40D which felt better then either the XTi or the 40x.

Hope this helps a little.
    ~ Lisa
  • bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    They are both great cameras. Go play with the cameras and see which one you like the feel of. Play with the menus and controls - which does a better job for you.

Think about your future plans - the good news is that either will grow with whatever lenses you decide to purchase. It is a matter of preference and you will see people passionate on both sides of the issue - some will tell you Canon is better and some will tell you Nikon is better. (I am a Nikon owner BTW)

I think you can't go wrong with either as long as you go out and use them. Take pictures and never look back.wings.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    But if you are coming from point n shoot world you may find 350D a lot talking about feels headscratch.gif
    I chose canon xti because of nifty fifty lens and few other features which nikon don't offer.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Bluz wrote:
    Hello Guys.

I'm new here and have a doubt... I want to upgrade my camera, at now I have the Konica Minolta Z5, nice camera, but not SLR and very poor to inside shots (to much noise when without flash).

Which the best choice, Nikon D40 or Canon 350D? Any suggestion is welcome.thumb.gif

Thanks.

I don't have either, and am still using a P&S myself with no immediate plans to upgrade. But, I have been following the DSLRs for when I am ready to buy. I really don't like the Nikon D40, although I haven't played with either. In fact, it looks so limiting to me that i has turned me off to Nikon completly. The big problem is that it only supports lenses with built in focusing motors, and only a small number of Nikon lenses have them. I think (but could be wrong) that a number of current Nikon lenses don't have these motors. Now, the other lenses will work it you focus manually, but the viewfinder on entry level SLRs (going back to film days even, I have experience there) tend to be poor for manually focusing. If you only want the kit lens, or think that all lenses you will buy work with the body, then go for it. But the Rebel series from Canon has much better compatability.

Have you considered Pentax, Olympus, or even Sony? They can be excellent values.
  • BluzBluz Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 11, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    I don't actually have either camera, however, when I was looking in that price range I played with both and found that the Nikon felt better.

The Canon XT/XTi just feels cheap and plasticy (because it is), the Nikon felt more solid and was a little bit bigger. I would definately suggest the 40x over the XTi.

One other thing to consider is this: what is your "ultimate" camera? If you want (but dont have money for) a Canon 1DsMK111 - then go with the XT/XTi so you can use the same lenses. However, if you love the highend Nikon and this is a starter first step - go with the 40x.

In the end I decided to skip this step and saved up enough to get the Canon 40D which felt better then either the XTi or the 40x.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for all reply!

My first doubt is about this lenses compatibility problem... I finding to a camera to take great shots indoors, but need to have a nice option about lenses.... I'll purchase to start a 80-300mm tele lense too... I think that will be nice to take shots from big distances...

I already played with Nikon 40D and found nice option... until today when I play with 20D of my work friend... But the 20D is too expensive here in Brazil... double than USA by Walmart site..

I had a EOS 5 (not digital) long time ago, but needed to sell (my regret)... was a complete and perfect camera....

So, I have to purchase one nice camera with long lifetime and nice results... I like to fell the camera... not point and shot...

Other point, up to now, I don't have any lens to take advantage...

Thanks again! thumb.gif
    edited January 11, 2008
    jziegler wrote:
    Have you considered Pentax, Olympus, or even Sony? They can be excellent values.

I have a point and shot Olympus, but don't like.... Pentax have a poor aftermarket support in Brazil and Sony Alpha cost the same at Nikon 40D or Canon XT..

Thanks...
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    I've shot with the Nikon D50, handled the D40, and had the Rebel XT/350D.

My personal thought and observations.
    Nikon feels nicer in the hand and seems to have more vibrant colors, when I was shooting in RAW.

However, Nikon is not compatible with Nikon lenses that do not have it's own AF motor b/c it lacks that screw AF drive from the body. It's 6MP and compared to 8MP, the difference is somewhat significant. Canon lets you expand the body more with a grip, which Nikon doesn't. The Canon does feel worse than the Nikon though.

If it was me, I'd pick based on the system. If Nikon offers lenses and flashes that seem to fit your needs better, get that, if Canon does get that. In all honesty, neither is a bad choice.
  • guillermovilasguillermovilas Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Bluz wrote:
    Hello Guys.

Which the best choice, Nikon D40 or Canon 350D? Any suggestion is welcome.thumb.gif

Thanks.

Why not a Pentax K10d , you can get it at a very nice rebate because the K20d should come out soon clap.gif

For the price it`s the best camera around , it`s got so many outstanding features like , image stabilisation , anti-dust system , weather proof body , beautifull bright viewfinder .
    Go to a shop and take all Nikon Canon Olympus Sony and Pentax cameras in your hand and go for the one with the best ergonomics , camera feel is so important , it makes you want to shoot more rolleyes1.gif.
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX
    Tamron 90mm SP AF DI f/2.8 Macro

SB-800
    SanDisk Extreme IV 4Gb
    Manfrotto 714SHB digi
    Lowepro Bag
    Archos 500
    Corel Paint Shop Pro XI
    edited January 12, 2008
    Go to a shop and take all Nikon Canon Olympus Sony and Pentax cameras in your hand and go for the one with the best ergonomics , camera feel is so important , it makes you want to shoot more rolleyes1.gif.

That would be the best way.. but in my city I don't have any great shop to purchase... I'll find these cameras only in e-shops... headscratch.gif All the cameras that I tried belonged to my friends.
    Tee Why wrote:
    If Nikon offers lenses and flashes that seem to fit your needs better, get that, if Canon does get that. In all honesty, neither is a bad choice.

Thanks for your orientations... I'll take some care about the accessories offer... thumb.gif
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Pentax and Olympus make good products too, but they are often too small that third party accessories are harder to find and they don't have the lens offereing that a larger company like a Nikon or a Caonn will have.

Another thing is that they don't have the range of bodies to move up into if you desire it. For example, Canon offers the following choices available right now to the market, two entry level dslr's (Rebel XT and XTi for Canon), two mid level dslr (30D/40D), a serious amateur dsl (5D), a pro grade body for sports and birding and Photojournalists (1DMIII), and a prograde body for fine arts/editorial/fashion type of work (1DsMIII). This allows you to not change lens and accessory system if you desire to change your shooting styles. Only Nikon offers something similar. Hence they then to dominate about 80% of the market.

To me, a camera is just a tool and not much more, so it just has to let me take photos I want, and more options you have, better the chance it'll make the task of making a photo easier.
    edited January 13, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Pentax and Olympus make good products too, but they are often too small that third party accessories are harder to find and they don't have the lens offereing that a larger company like a Nikon or a Caonn will have.

Another thing is that they don't have the range of bodies to move up into if you desire it. For example, Canon offers the following choices available right now to the market, two entry level dslr's (Rebel XT and XTi for Canon), two mid level dslr (30D/40D), a serious amateur dsl (5D), a pro grade body for sports and birding and Photojournalists (1DMIII), and a prograde body for fine arts/editorial/fashion type of work (1DsMIII). This allows you to not change lens and accessory system if you desire to change your shooting styles. Only Nikon offers something similar. Hence they then to dominate about 80% of the market.

To me, a camera is just a tool and not much more, so it just has to let me take photos I want, and more options you have, better the chance it'll make the task of making a photo easier.

That's important for me... I want to invest a nice equipment, whose I will can upgrade in the future, that's why I choose Nikon or Canon... So, when I buy a better camera, I'll use the same lenses than I will have.

Off course I'm not a pro, but I like to take pictures.

Thanks again!
  • guillermovilasguillermovilas Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Bluz wrote:
    That's important for me... I want to invest a nice equipment, whose I will can upgrade in the future, that's why I choose Nikon or Canon... So, when I buy a better camera, I'll use the same lenses than I will have.

Off course I'm not a pro, but I like to take pictures.

Thanks again!

Yep , for lenses to keep , Canon & Nikon are the only way to go :ivar
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX
    Tamron 90mm SP AF DI f/2.8 Macro

SB-800
    SanDisk Extreme IV 4Gb
    Manfrotto 714SHB digi
    Lowepro Bag
    Archos 500
    Corel Paint Shop Pro XI