Casio Exilim Pro EX-F1

lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
edited July 10, 2009 in Cameras
Casio says its $1,000 EX-F1 can shoot up to 60 6-megapixel images in one second.

Interesting!!!

Here is the link:
http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9840785-39.html

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited January 11, 2008
    Good to see this come to market:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=71565

I do wonder how much market they will find?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Sorry, didn't see the previous post!
    edited January 11, 2008
    lr1811 wrote:
    Sorry, didn't see the previous post!

Don't misunderstand, I'm glad it was developed into a production camera. So many of these "prototypes" make the headlines and then just disappear.

This is worthy of a new thread because it now has a model number and a price tag.

Good find! thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    From the article: "a photographer can set the camera to take 60 shots in 1 second or 5 shots per second for 12 seconds"

I read the other thread and saw some interesting points.

I think about the times when I think I have the correct settings on my D200 but still take multi-photos just to pick the best one. I'd love if my 200 could take about 20/second! I realize that's more memory and
    more post time, but the right photos would make it worth while.
    edited January 12, 2008
    lr1811 wrote:
    From the article: "a photographer can set the camera to take 60 shots in 1 second or 5 shots per second for 12 seconds"

I read the other thread and saw some interesting points.

I think about the times when I think I have the correct settings on my D200 but still take multi-photos just to pick the best one. I'd love if my 200 could take about 20/second! I realize that's more memory and
    more post time, but the right photos would make it worth while.

In a "traditional" dSLR there are three major impediments to high frame rates:

1) The mirror and shutter mechanisms which have to physically move during the process.
    2) The image buffer which has to store the accumulated images.
    3) The rate at which taken images can be transferred from the imager chip to the buffer, usually affected by the number of "channels" the imager has to connect to the buffer.

Understand also that as the frame rate goes up, the effective shutter speed must also increase, assuming a single imager.

There exists a reasonably priced camera that is capable of shooting fairly high frame rates, at the expense of resolution.

The Olympus SP-550UZ is an SLR-type design (shaped like an SLR), capable of frame rates to 15 fps up to 20 frames deep, but at only 1.2 MP. It will also do 7 fps up to 15 frames deep at 3 MP.

It also has up to ISO 5000 (hype), at reduced resolution, and an "Optical" zoom of 18x with imager based IS.

Capable of 7 MP in standard operating mode, it's a fairly versatile shooting machine which includes a Movie Mode (try to find a dSLR with that feature mwink.gif) and software that can automatically stitch 10 frames together for a very wide panoramic.

All for under $300USD.

If all this seems too good to be true, it's because this is a highly compromised camera, trying to do everything, but only doing a few things very well.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1289
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/sp550uz-review/
    http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3873/camera-test-olympus-sp-550uz.html
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympussp550uz/
    ziggy53
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Is anybody here using this camera?

I'm looking at this for the convergence factor, still and video in one, and to me it's looking pretty good. The whole 2 brazillion shots per second doesn't really do anything for me but if it's got good HD video and stills this might be the camera for me.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Malte
    edited October 30, 2008
    Malte,

If you mean the Casio, be sure to read the user comments at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=553672&is=REG&si=rev#anchorToReadReviews

Particularly, the camera is not good in low light and the lens is rated at 36mm equivalent FOV at the widest, except when shooting video when it becomes about 45mm equivalent FOV. Unless you use a WA conversion lens, which might degrade quality and reduce effective aperture, you will probably not like this camera for indoor shooting.

RAW capture is, well, sad at best.

That said, it still sounds like a lot of fun and I wish I had some extra money just to try it. Of course, these features could be pretty standard in a few years if the manufacturers feel that there is a market need.
    ziggy53
    edited October 30, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Malte,

If you mean the Casio, be sure to read the user comments at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=553672&is=REG&si=rev#anchorToReadReviews

Particularly, the camera is not good in low light and the lens is rated at 36mm equivalent FOV at the widest, except when shooting video when it becomes about 45mm equivalent FOV. Unless you use a WA conversion lens, which might degrade quality and reduce effective aperture, you will probably not like this camera for indoor shooting.

RAW capture is, well, sad at best.

That said, it still sounds like a lot of fun and I wish I had some extra money just to try it. Of course, these features could be pretty standard in a few years if the manufacturers feel that there is a market need.

Thanks Ziggy!

Well I'm after something more than fun, and maybe the Casio is jack of both trades...

Whats your verdict on the Canon Powershot SX1 IS?

Malte
    edited October 30, 2008
    Malte wrote:

Whats your verdict on the Canon Powershot SX1 IS?

Malte

New camera, CMOS and Digic 4. I'm expecting good reviews but I haven't seen anything formal yet. Extremely nice zoom range but no idea about quality.

Video section looks pretty strong and I like the M-JPG recording for editing. Stereo audio, but no real samples of quality yet. I do not see mention of audio input ports so you may be stuck with whatever the camera provides.
    ziggy53
    edited October 30, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    New camera, CMOS and Digic 4. I'm expecting good reviews but I haven't seen anything formal yet. Extremely nice zoom range but no idea about quality.

Video section looks pretty strong and I like the M-JPG recording for editing. Stereo audio, but no real samples of quality yet. I do not see mention of audio input ports so you may be stuck with whatever the camera provides.

Ah yes, I see now that this is not for sale yet, starts in December. Looking very close to what I want and a whole lot for the money. Doesn't seem to have RAW though. ne_nau.gif

When it comes to movie recording I'm getting mixed information, I think. headscratch.gif The M-JPG you mention I've read on Dpreview where it says "Movie: AVI (Motion JPEG compression)" but on Canon's Swedish site it says "Videoscener MOV [H.264 + linjär PCM (stereo)]". These two are conflicting no? H.264 and Motion JPEG are both codecs right?

Thanks again for your help Ziggy. iloveyou.gif

Malte
    edited October 30, 2008
    Malte wrote:
    Ah yes, I see now that this is not for sale yet, starts in December. Looking very close to what I want and a whole lot for the money. Doesn't seem to have RAW though. ne_nau.gif

When it comes to movie recording I'm getting mixed information, I think. headscratch.gif The M-JPG you mention I've read on Dpreview where it says "Movie: AVI (Motion JPEG compression)" but on Canon's Swedish site it says "Videoscener MOV [H.264 + linjär PCM (stereo)]". These two are conflicting no? H.264 and Motion JPEG are both codecs right?

Thanks again for your help Ziggy. iloveyou.gif

Malte

Rats, according to the Canon site (Japan):

http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/dcp/pssx1is/specifications.html

"Movies: MOV (Image data: H.264; Audio data: Linear PCM (stereo))
    Sound Memo and Sound Recorder: WAVE (stereo)
    "

Unfortunately that means that the video is compressed at an unknown rate and may be good or not-so-good and may be hard to edit as well.

SmuMug uses H.264 and can support a high data rate, so obviously the codec itself can be pretty good, but many small cameras use too low a data rate for really good quality.

It would be best to look at samples before purchase.
    ziggy53
    edited November 1, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Rats, according to the Canon site (Japan):

http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/dcp/pssx1is/specifications.html

"Movies: MOV (Image data: H.264; Audio data: Linear PCM (stereo))
    Sound Memo and Sound Recorder: WAVE (stereo)
    "

Unfortunately that means that the video is compressed at an unknown rate and may be good or not-so-good and may be hard to edit as well.

SmuMug uses H.264 and can support a high data rate, so obviously the codec itself can be pretty good, but many small cameras use too low a data rate for really good quality.

It would be best to look at samples before purchase.

Oh I recognise this... I read somewhere that the Canon would have a "lower" datarate of... I want to say 8 or 9, and competing offerings would have atleast in double digits. In that discussion the Panasonic DMC-FZ28 was mentioned but from what I can see that one only goes to 720 lines. So which would be better higher bitrate or more resolution?

I guess only real world tests will tell but I really appreciate your input Ziggy.

Malte

Malte
    edited November 1, 2008
    Malte wrote:
    Oh I recognise this... I read somewhere that the Canon would have a "lower" datarate of... I want to say 8 or 9, and competing offerings would have atleast in double digits. In that discussion the Panasonic DMC-FZ28 was mentioned but from what I can see that one only goes to 720 lines. So which would be better higher bitrate or more resolution?

I guess only real world tests will tell but I really appreciate your input Ziggy.

Malte

Malte

Lower data rates "and" higher resolution almost always mean less quality overall. Think of data rates as the size of the video container. Less resolution will requires less data per unit time than more resolution.

The video would probably suffer most noticeably when the scene changes rapidly as in rapid motion subjects or zooming or panning.
    ziggy53
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    New3 Casio High Speed entry
    Hey Zig,

Former "Forehead" here, with a news flash:

I just learned in the last few days that there is now a Casio EX-FH20 (the EX-F1 has been out over a year now). Comparing that with the Casio EX-F1...

EX-F1 (EX-FH20)
    Resolution: 6MP (9.1MP)
    Imager: CMOS (CMOS)
    Optical Zoom: 12X (20X)
    Pre-shot burst
    mode (full rez): 60fps (40fps)
    High speed vids: 300-1200fps (300-1000fps)

*NOTE: the higher the frame rate, the smaller the image--down to about a large postage stamp size at the highest rates

PRICE $1,000 ($475-700)

Other tidbits of info can be found at www.casiohighspeed.com

Steve-o
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Good to see this come to market:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=71565

I do wonder how much market they will find?
  • Chris_NDChris_ND Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    Is anybody here using this camera?

I'm looking at this for the convergence factor, still and video in one, and to me it's looking pretty good. The whole 2 brazillion shots per second doesn't really do anything for me but if it's got good HD video and stills this might be the camera for me.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Malte

I do have this camera, Since I am not able to sell it, I used it for a few times, and whoaa, The HD is amazing. But the catch is, you probably want a decent computer to edit and render the video if you are into short films like i am. I should have bought a d90 just because i have quite a few Nikon Lenses. I still would love to pick up a d90, but who knows.

Camera is pretty solid backup to my d300, I do enjoy the Slowmotion as it adds to certain short movies. I wish the 300fps had better resolution, but what can you do. The 1080 HD feature is pretty tight. One huge draw back is the manual. I pretty much said screw the manual and played with the camera, I couldn't figure out why the manual focus wouldn't ever work, then I realized I had the camera on 1-60fps Speed shot, that is for taking exposures. lol. After i figured out that kink It was short film history, I'm currently on vacation, so I will try to get a bit of video and what not and put a full review from my POV on dgrin and throw the videos on my smugmug.