Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Thanks guys. Now I have a definitave answerthumb.gif
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    I am thinking about adding LR to my workflow (and deleting iPhoto, despite the fact that it can handle "over 250,000 images..." rolleyes1.gif ). I use Nikon Capture NX for editing.

Q1: If I edit a photo in Capture NX, will the changes be reflected in the LR browser?

Q2: how big of a database can LR manage before I have to up my DAM to the next level?

Many thx. thumb.gif

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:
    Q1: If I edit a photo in Capture NX, will the changes be reflected in the LR browser?

If you are using Capture NX as a RAW converter, you will need to save converted files in TIFF or JPEG and import them into the Lighroom catalog.

Life is simpler if you use Lightroom for your RAW conversions. In that case you can configure Capture NX as an external editor and Lighroom will automatically create the TIFFs for you, add them to the database and open them in Capture NX.

In either case, if you another application to edit a file in the Lightroom database, Lightroom will notice the changed mod date and automatically refresh its previews.
    Van Isle wrote:
    Q2: how big of a database can LR manage before I have to up my DAM to the next level?

I have about 15,000 images in one catalog with no problem. I don't have any idea how big the catalog has to get before you break your collection into multiple catalogs.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    FINALLY! Converted over to LR
    Thanks cmason, LiquidAir, jfriend and all the rest of you. Starting last week I read thru the Adobe LightRoom_gettingstarted PDF, the entire online help and everythread I could find.

And yesterday I brought over all my old 300D jpegs and CRW files, and my 5D CR2 files. Updated all the Copyright info, and renamed all 11,000 images. LR looks like the winner I want it to be over Bridge's file folder system.

Most amazing is the speed. Rendering previews, renaming (<3 minutes for 6200+ files, everything.

I even figured out all my options on this question (which I got no feedback on from here or FM).
    jdryan3 wrote:
    As part of the converison/transition, how did most of you handle your old XMP sidecar files? I store mine in the same folder as the RAW file. Once I Import the RAW and XMP data in LR, did you backup, delete or what the 'old' XMP data?
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac