LPS #20 - Looking for some help

Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited January 19, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's my reshoot. I think these definetly came out better.

Well I've taken some shots over the last couple days of my favorite new subject - our new baby girl. Obviously I should be able to work somthing from this with the whole hands - face theme. I tried shooting some shots of her hands and our hands the other day and this is what i got. Not sure if any of these 4 are good enough quality wise / theme wise. Any feedback or suggestions would be great. I'm already thinking about reshooting with some better light... just have to figure out how I want to try it.

1. Little Sleeping Hands
244764952-L.jpg

2. Daddy Comforter
244764710-L.jpg

244756872-L.jpg

244745117-L.jpg

Thanks for checking out my thread. A little help is always appreciated, especially with all the talent running around here. Sometimes I feel a little overmatched. :dgrin But there's no better way to improve then surround yourself by talented individuals - even if it's a little intimidating at first. :bow

Comments

• shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Congratulations on your new baby girl!!!

I think you are on the right track, but a reshoot is a good idea so you can capture an image with better light. I personally like the image of your baby girl holding mom's finger. A close-up of that may be a worthy consideration. Good luck and congrats again!!!
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    These are adorable shots, I'm sure they are ones that you will treasure for many years to come.

My main C&C would be that they have a yellow cast to them. I calibrated my monitors today....maybe someone else would double check on a calibrated monitor as well.

How lucky you are to have such an adorable subject to shoot.
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Very nice images. I think window light is fantastic for these types of images. Just have Mom and baby sit in front of a bright window (not direct sunlight).

Congrats...every single shot you take here is SO worth it, regardless of LPS.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• pankajasundipankajasundi Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    I like #2, and #3. Maybe convert them to b/w to get rid of the yellow cast.

Best

Pankaj
  • Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Thank you Shatch, Heather, Emily, and and Pankaj for your comments and suggestions. I will definetly enjoy these pictures regardless of how I do. I just love that this contest gives me added incentive to go out shoot, practice, and learn. Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to try and reshoot with more natural light in the next day or so. Right now in Alaska we're only getting about 6hrs or so but I'll get it.

Thanks again,
    mike
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Not sure which I like, but IMO the fourth is the strongest to me anyways....

Although I might suggest correcting your color to get rid of the yellow hue that is prominent in alot of your photos....

Caucuasian's tend to have more Cyan, and Magnenta Tones in their skin...yellow is more prominent in latins, black americans, orientals. etc.

I would try doing a selective coloring and playing with your sliders...Make a "duplicate Layer" (background copy) so that you can play with the opacity.

Good Luck with whichever you choose.
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Last two are amazing retry for improved light etc
    clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited January 15, 2008
    Thank you Donna and Awais for your comments. I'm going to have to double check my monitor calibration cause I'm not sure I see the yellow hue as much. Which could be my monitor or the fact I'm colorblind. So sometimes it's not uncommon for me to screw up my color. I am going to reshoot hopefully soon to try and get some better light. When I do I'll repost... if I'm still having color issues please let me know.

Thank you alot,
    mike
  • DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    I think number four would get my vote. The first one would be my second vote, maybe first if it were a little sharper.

And congratulations on the new baby! clap.gif
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
    edited January 19, 2008
    Thanks for the comments Debbie! Sorry about the slow reply been real busy with relatives and such.