Options

What do you use?

kuzzykuzzy Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited January 14, 2008 in Finishing School
I shot high school sports for my kids school and I am just wondering what some of you use to process large quantitys of images quickly. For example, at this time of year I may be shooting 6-7 games a week 150-250 shots per game and i am trying to put them up on the website in a reasonable period of time. This is not my job so I do not have all day to do this.

Right now i use Picassa which is adequate and quick. Generally I do a quick crop, contrast, sharpen, possibly a quick white balance adjust. I shoot natural light in gyms and ice rinks and would like to do a little noise reduction as well which is not available in picassa.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    I am using...
    kuzzy wrote:
    I shot high school sports for my kids school and I am just wondering what some of you use to process large quantitys of images quickly. For example, at this time of year I may be shooting 6-7 games a week 150-250 shots per game and i am trying to put them up on the website in a reasonable period of time. This is not my job so I do not have all day to do this.

Right now i use Picassa which is adequate and quick. Generally I do a quick crop, contrast, sharpen, possibly a quick white balance adjust. I shoot natural light in gyms and ice rinks and would like to do a little noise reduction as well which is not available in picassa.

Any other suggestions?
    I just shoot jpeg an use the images out of the camera, just croping using smugmug engine. This is the fastest, most efficient way imho. Look at my formula 1 shots, all directly out of the camera. I will shoot raw only if I want to process a few images and apply more serious tweaks. In this case, I was using Bibble Pro (it also very good to process large batches) but now moving towards Raw Therapee (Under rated, outstanding and free) and Picture Window Pro (Under rated, outstanding and cheap). If noise reduction in camera is not enough, you may want to use Neat Image; it had a very good batch process as well. --JY
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    kuzzy wrote:

Any other suggestions?

I shoot a lot of soccer games and end up with several hundred shots per game. I shoot RAW, then use Adobe Bridge and Adobe Camera RAW to make a pass through the images, set ratings, delete bad ones, tweak exposure, white balance and contrast, adjust crop and set any keywords required. I then generate JPEGs and put them on the web. I find a non-destructive editor (like Camera RAW or Lightroom) improves efficiency a lot because it's easy to make changes to a lot of images quickly and it's really easy to take a setting from one (like white balance or contrast or noise reduction) and quickly apply to a whole sequence of images.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    I also shoot Raw when I cover a marching band event, play or concert because I will shoot 200-400 photos. Like John I use Lightroom to process my photos (and to catalog them) as I can quickly cull the ones I don't like and then process the rest.
  • Options
    kuzzykuzzy Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Thanks for your replys. I will have to look into lightroom at the very least. Any input on how long it takes you to go through 200 or so pictures.
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    kuzzy wrote:
    Thanks for your replys. I will have to look into lightroom at the very least. Any input on how long it takes you to go through 200 or so pictures.

That will depend on how many changes you need to make to them. I'd probably spend 20-30 minutes reviewing and tweaking then exporting them would take around 10-15 minutes on my PC.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    I use Bibble Pro. It's strong batching capability is part of why I chose it; I can go through a large number of files quickly with it.