Options

Lense filter question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grinsBournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
edited January 13, 2008 in Technique
I bought a circular polarising filter today, but I was supprised to find a little handle on the filter that you use to twist the filter round with . Now there is very little instruction with the filter (read none) so what do I do with it on the camera.

I tried it outside on the camera but it very cloud and dull here today and as I turned the filter the image through the view finder darken and lighten, so where do I start with it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question :scratch

Tim

Comments

• Options
    TheMightyZogTheMightyZog Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Assuming they have aligned the handle correctly - point it in the direction of the sun for maximumn effect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Thats my problem, where do I align the handles, is it when pointed at the sun do I adjust to the maximum darkness or until the view is acceptable??

The paper work says "best shooting angle is between 30 and 40 degrees" based on what starting angle?? (thats the only instruction\suggestion it makes)

Tim
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    draggin wrote:
    I bought a circular polarising filter today, but I was supprised to find a little handle on the filter that you use to twist the filter round with . Now there is very little instruction with the filter (read none) so what do I do with it on the camera.

I tried it outside on the camera but it very cloud and dull here today and as I turned the filter the image through the view finder darken and lighten, so where do I start with it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question headscratch.gif

Tim
    Tim,

May I respectfully suggest you do a little google searching? This page (link) might be a good place to start in gaining an understanding of a CP filter.
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Without a sunny day, you won't see much with a CPL.

Wait for a sunny day, point the camera 90 degrees to the sun's rays (with the sun on either your left or right shoulder), and rotate the filter. You will have a "eureka" moment, and understand everything clearly.

Some other comments:

1. A CPL removes glare from non-metallic surfaces.

2. When you use a lens wider than about 17 mm, only the central portion of the sky in your images will be affected - this often results in a darker area - a telltale sign that a CPL was used. There is no way around this. Period.

3. Corallary to 3. If the axis of the lens is not perpendicular to the sun's rays, the dark area in the sky will not be centered.

4. Heavy cloud essentially acts like a polarizer.

5. If you're looking to enhance the colours of foliage with a CPL - in particular for flowers - a cloudy/rainy day will produce the best saturation and the least amount of saturation-robbing reflections. In other words, leave the CPL off.

6. A CPL can require up to two stops more exposure (but the camera's metering system can adjust for this).
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900