ISO1600 Saturday Night

bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
edited January 14, 2008 in People
Capturing the kids filling their Saturday evening with some self-selected activities.

My daughter with her favorite red licorice and a movie on mom and dad's bed - her favorite spot for sure in the house. She loves the body pillow that mommy sleeps with. This was one of about 30 frames where she was actually looking at me, like all two year olds, she is a million miles an hour when awake.

p211700625.jpg

My son with his Nintendo DS game system and the Spyro game.......just before this shot he was almost in tears as he had almost made it to the next level he had worked so hard to achieve but come up a little bit short. We try to limit his playing time - but when he has a choice like tonight - this usually is picked.

p483695352.jpg

Both shots taken at ISO1600 so the flash could stay off. Love being able to get acceptable results without flash indoors. They are more pleasing photos because of the lack of flash to me. I don't think even at ISO1600 you get noise that detracts from the subject matter. Cameras have come a long way since digital first game along.

Thanks for taking a look.
Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw

Comments

• ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    I agree--flash sucks. Love the light reflecting from the game in #2! Your kids are adorable.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    I agree--flash sucks. Love the light reflecting from the game in #2! Your kids are adorable.
    Not always.mwink.gif In these photos (which are wonderful), it would have completely ruined the shot.

But, flash is a good thing when you need it and can figure out the right way to us it (still working on that last part :D).
  • bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    ~Jan~ wrote:

Thanks for the comments Jan - much appreciated. At home with my kids I live at ISO 400/800/1600 so as to only use flash when completely needed. (And even then try to use diffused and bounced flash.)

I like that light from the game as well - you don't see that light as much when you are just watching him play - but it shows up in photographs pretty well.

Have a good one.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
    edited January 13, 2008
    Not always.mwink.gif In these photos (which are wonderful), it would have completely ruined the shot.

But, flash is a good thing when you need it and can figure out the right way to us it (still working on that last part :D).

You are very correct Scott - flash does not always 'suck'.....just most of the time. Thanks for taking a look and I agree that both of these shots would have taken on a whole new look and feel with even the slightest amount of flash.

I'm not a big fan of shiny foreheads and dark rooms behind them! :D
  • neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    what settings did u use besides 1600... i have the d40 and would like to try and use the same settings in M mode if possible...
    edited January 14, 2008
    neastguy wrote:
    what settings did u use besides 1600... i have the d40 and would like to try and use the same settings in M mode if possible...

Hey - thanks for taking a look.

I generally use AV mode (and these were shot in AV mode) as aperture value generally is more important to shots that I am taking and it’s a little quicker to use than M mode. You can easily just re-create these setting in manual mode though.

Here are the EXIF values for each shot above – even at ISO1600 I was only getting 1/15 or 1/20 shutter speeds since I was zoomed on most of these to 50mm on an 18-50mm zoom lens.

Daughter:

50 mm
    Exposure: 1/15 at f/5.6
    0 EV
    Exposure program: Aperture priority
    ISO speed: ISO 1600
    Metering mode: Pattern

Son:

18 mm
    Exposure
    1/10 at f/3.5
    Exposure bias: 0 EV
    ISO speed: ISO 800

Looks like I fibbed a bit in the title of my post as well – the second shot of my son was actually “ISO800 Saturday Night”! With these slow shutter speeds I was propping the camera on a bed pillow to help steady my hand as I normally cannot hand hold shots of anything much less than 1/60.

These shutter speeds make shooting like this a bit more difficult than turning on the flash and shooting at 1/250 every time, but its worth it to me.
  • neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    bauerman wrote:
    Hey - thanks for taking a look.

I generally use AV mode (and these were shot in AV mode) as aperture value generally is more important to shots that I am taking and it’s a little quicker to use than M mode. You can easily just re-create these setting in manual mode though.

Here are the EXIF values for each shot above – even at ISO1600 I was only getting 1/15 or 1/20 shutter speeds since I was zoomed on most of these to 50mm on an 18-50mm zoom lens.

Daughter:

50 mm
    Exposure: 1/15 at f/5.6
    0 EV
    ISO speed: ISO 1600

Son:

18 mm
    Exposure
    1/10 at f/3.5
    Exposure bias: 0 EV
    ISO speed: ISO 800

Looks like I fibbed a bit in the title of my post as well – the second shot of my son was actually “ISO800 Saturday Night”! With these slow shutter speeds I was propping the camera on a bed pillow to help steady my hand as I normally cannot hand hold shots of anything much less than 1/60.

These shutter speeds make shooting like this a bit more difficult than turning on the flash and shooting at 1/250 every time, but its worth it to me.

i was wondering at such a slow shutter speed how you didnt get more blur.. nice job