Infrared Camera Questions

cb4photocb4photo Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
edited January 13, 2008 in Cameras
Hello
I was planning on converting a 10D or 20D into a full time infrared camera. I was looking at using Life Pixel to do the conversion, two questions.
Has anyone used them, and are you happy with the end result?
Second, they speak of calibrating the camera focus to a 50mm 1.8 lens with the standard service, but for $150 more they will calibrate to any lens you want. You just send the lens in with the camera. I want to use an 16-35mm with the body.
Has anyone done the normal service and used a diferant lens with it?
Thanks
Carl
www.cb4photo.com

Comments

• rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    D60 Being Converted Right Now
    I just sent a Canon D60 off for conversion at http://www.irdigital.net/

I was impressed by some of the photographers who have used the IR conversions by David Sparer. Among these are Monte Zucker, George Lepp, Hanson Fong, Ken Sklute.

Additionally, David was the only one of four IR Conversion sites who had the courtesy to return my email.

David emailed me: "Conversion for the D60 costs $350 plus $35 return FedEx and insurance. Any lens will work except ultra wide angles. Some lenses produce a hot spot in the center of the image. This is easily rectified with a simple photoshop action."

David's email address is: irguy@irdigital.net]

David will receive the camera on Monday 1/14/08. I emailed him that I had sent it off UPS ground and he told me that he will keep a lookout for it and let me know when it arrives.

Send me an email to rpcrowe@sbcglobal.net and I will let you know what I think of the conversion. I am looking forward to shooting dedicated IR.

I almost had a Nikon P&S converted since that might have been easier to carry with me when I am shooting with my standard DSLR gear. However, I decided to pick up a D60 on eBay and to have that converted.

Richard
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Carl,

I recently (last week) had my Canon Powershot G6 converted to IR by Life Pixel. They are responsive to my email inquiries. The conversion took a week. I'm happy with their service and price. Converting a compact camera to IR has its advantages compared to a dslr: no need for exposure compensation and you see exactly what the camera sees in IR on the LCD. The drawback is no interchangeable lens. I like what my modified G6 can do. This doesn't match your equipment exactly, but I hope it helps.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips