Options

Ice Storm

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited January 27, 2008 in Journeys
Well, this journey didn't take me very far, but, it certainly was a journey! Last month an ice storm paralyzed our town (Manhattan, Kansas), and we were out of power for a week. To put it simply - I hate ice storms:bash. So, when I was freezing and bored (and my camera batteries still had some juice) I went to document it a little. These images are not meant to be aesthetically pleasing or anything, just to show what happened after the storm. I have personally never seen an ice storm till this one, so it was a new experience.

Here are some plants that took a beating:
242698521-M.jpg

242699019-M.jpg

242699265-M.jpg

242700434-M.jpg

I thought this was crazy - these are some weeds growing through the cracks on the sidewalk. They stayed standing and ice grew around them. They were kind of like reverse icycles.
242698782-M.jpg

This image demonstrates why we lost power as a result of the storm. Tree branches broke everywhere and took powerlines with them.
242699573-M.jpg

Here is a pic in front of my studio - you can see a powerline dangling on the left side of the image.
242699862-M.jpg

And some poor soul had a tree fall on their car down the road.
242700134-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    madiggmadigg Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Ditto For Springfield, Mo. 1 Year Ago Today....123595104-L.jpg
  • Options
    LouwPhotographyLouwPhotography Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    These are all great, but this one is definitely my favorite! I like the lines in the composition punctuated with the red buds. The ice texture is great too.
    Here are some plants that took a beating:
    242698521-M.jpg
  • Options
    HaryHary Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Heh :) I came to the us (MO) and i just couldn't believe my father saying that it gets so cold that the trees freeze well until i saw the exact same thing as on your photos with my own eyes :) Everything looks beautiful and so do your photos :)
    Maybe there will still be some ice this year :) (hope not though)

cheers
  • Options
    bostevebosteve Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    These are all great, but this one is definitely my favorite! I like the lines in the composition punctuated with the red buds. The ice texture is great too.

Great post! kudos on making art out of Mother Nature's pitch!thumb.gif
    Steve Lambert
    Boston Ma
    www.Memorablepics.com