Megan (1 img)

LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited January 13, 2008 in People
So it seems that in the last 2 days, i've done 2 shoots for people who needed "a nice picture for their online dating profile" hahaha...

This is Megan. She is a really good friend of my wife and wanted something nice to put on her profile to hopefully snag a new guy :)

so... it was an overcast day, but how'd I do?

242738120-L.jpg

Steven
Wandering Through Life Photography
MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Steven, here's what I see and there's no way to sugar-coat it (I'm sorry for that):

The Good:
    • Shot from a higher than normal perspective.
    • Her body is turned a bit from the camera, thus helping to visually minimize her size.

The Not-So-Good:
    • Vignette is much too dark.
    • Line through her head.
    • Even with the dark vignette, the background is distracting from her face
    • I think, turning her face a bit from the camera and using off-camera short lighting would have been very helpful.
    • Placing her hands as you have is all bad: (1) the bright against dark draws one's eyes to her hands and away from her face, (2) broad-side of her hands is not flattering, (3) the placement makes it appear that she can barely get her hands around her abdomen - not flattering at all.
    • Bright colors in her clothing distracts the viewer from her face.

Now for some suggestions:
    • Off-camera lighting - using short lighting on her face. If you don't have the equipment for that, shoot at either sunrise or sunset with her facing away from the sun so that the sun is a hair-light. Use your flash, either on- or off-camera, as fill.
    • Tone down the brightness of her outfit.
    • Head and shoulders. She has a very pretty face. I would think engaging the attention of a gentleman will be much more successful if she were to have an open smile and/or a gentle laugh.
    • Think about your background a bit. A wood privacy fence, especially if it's weathered is good. Some shrubbery maybe. Anything that can be easily reconginized when OOF and thus more easily discounted by the viewer - this will help bring attention (back to) her face where it belongs.
      *]The vignette is a good idea, but I think a little more subtle would be better.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Hi Steven! I think Scott nailed it with his suggestions and comments. When I look at this portrait (as an intended dating photo) I see nothing warm and friendly. Her expression is uncomfortable, the way her hands are posed makes her look timid and accentuates her chest, and the lighting is cold. (We all know about the light!!!) There is no getting around the fact that she is a large woman, but she can look better. Her blouse color completely overtakes the photo and distracts from her face. I would definitely do 2 things, move up higher and move in closer, but mostly higher. Improve the lighting along with those and you should have a great portrait.

I took these shots for a friend who was also in the dating mode. We need to get back together and do another set as this was unplanned and hurried. She is not as large as your friend, but has weight issues and wears clothing that is very uncomplimentary. I had her change blouses........which is another thing you might consider. Another option would be to have a long scarf on hand to disguise inappropriate clothing.

Here are my attempts at dating photos. (I hope you don't mind me posting these for reference. If you do, just IM me and I'll gladly remove.)

#1 Hated this blouse, so I had her change. Straight on (height-wise not flattering...) Also the sofa was distracting.
    155461076-S.jpg

#2 Clearly not a flattering angle....background not good!
    151258822-S.jpg

#3 Moving in closer helped.
    151258847-S.jpg

#4 I had her sit on the floor and I got myself up on a step ladder. Now we're getting somewhere...she has very narrow eyes like your friend...notice how they open up here.
    151258809-S.jpg

#5 Also converted to B&W
    160325965-S.jpg
  • rwdfresnorwdfresno Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    I agree with some of the comments. I think the hands definitely need to be repositioned. I think resting your hands in that position is unflattering to anyone. I think that she needs a nice big smile. I'm not bothered by the color of the dress at all, I think it is a nice color on her if there was a darker background to sort of balance it out.

I think if we are talking specifically about dating I would avoid cropping in tight and avoiding her body. I don't think she has anything to hide. She is sexy, has a large chest, is curvy, beautiful fair skin. I think there are enough men that appreciate a curvy, larger women that we want to find the man who can appreciate that. If he isn't attracted to that body type than quite frankly lets just let him move along to another candidate.

Sure lets make it as flattering as possible (ie lets get her hands better positioned, and smiling) but lets show her off for the beauty she is and let the men decide if they love it or don't, and if they don't great, we dodged a bullet of someone who won't appreciate her for who she is.

Ryan
    Ryan Davis
    my flickr