An Aspiring Singer - Part II (C&C Welcome)

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited January 16, 2008 in People
Here are the final few from a shoot on 1 Jan 2008 (link for those that missed it), this time we see some of those taken outdoors.

1. I found a old tire repair/replacement garage with south facing wooden garage doors (hence the degraded/peeling paint). With the setting sun as the key light, got this one and the next.
242896212-L.jpg

242895484-L.jpg

3. Same one in B&W - I'm thinking I like this one quite a bit more...
242895576-L.jpg

4. Taken against the support of a bridge over a rail yard. Did you know that a rail yard is private property? Anyway, we only had time to get this one before we were run off the place. So unfriendly!!
242895789-L.jpg

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Hey Scott!

I think I actually prefer the color versions. The B&Ws are a little too cold for my taste with this subject. I really like the brick/old garage door backgrounds.

My critique of the first one may be something you couldn't do much about, but her clothing and the way she is standing make her legs appear kinda short and bowed, which I find distracting. Save for the hot spot on her cheek, I'm really digging the lighting here though.

I also like the lighting on #2. I do wish her left hand was not quite so fisted, but that's a detail that I would surely overlook during shooting.

Thanks for sharing!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    I agree--her legs do look bowed in the first shot (not your fault). My favorite is the 2nd shot. You are brave to use sunset light!
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    #2&3 are my faves, too! I think you could crop a bit from the right since I don't think it ads a lot to the shot, but those are really nice!

The last one looks as though her face was burned in or too much flash used. It's such a contrasty photo that it make the shot look off. I *almost* like it, but can't put my finger on why I don't.

#1 - her legs are a bit off - I agree. But otherwise it's a really nice shot!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    I agree--her legs do look bowed in the first shot (not your fault). My favorite is the 2nd shot. You are brave to use sunset light!
    Maybe I'm too stupid to know the difference, but I don't understand why sunset light should be so difficult. At the risk of asking for something I really don't want to know, why should one be afraid of using sunset/sunrise light?
    edited January 13, 2008
    #2&3 are my faves, too! I think you could crop a bit from the right since I don't think it ads a lot to the shot, but those are really nice!

The last one looks as though her face was burned in or too much flash used. It's such a contrasty photo that it make the shot look off. I *almost* like it, but can't put my finger on why I don't.

#1 - her legs are a bit off - I agree. But otherwise it's a really nice shot!
    I'll re-work that last one and see what I get from it.

I might try re-cropping #2/#3, but I need to retain the 8x10 ratio as that is what the client will be printing.

As for her legs in #1, if I had seen it then, I would have instructed her to point her right foot more toward the camera. That would have helped a bit. Oh well...
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Scott...I love that first one...however, is there any way you can HEAL that sun spot on her face?
    edited January 14, 2008
    Maybe I'm too stupid to know the difference, but I don't understand why sunset light should be so difficult. At the risk of asking for something I really don't want to know, why should one be afraid of using sunset/sunrise light?

Scott, I did a boyscout photoshoot today and it was probably the worst of my photo career. It was a beautiful day here in SE Texas, but my client wanted me to shoot at 1:00 and not 5ish like I suggested. The sun was harsh...I felt like I wasn't going to produce good images. Coming home, I didn't even want to see my camera...I just put it on the table, and went to a neighbors house to have a glass of wine. I came home and realize that the sun was harsh. AGH! I'm depressed now. :cry
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    The model looks very short in the first shot. She looks much longer in the sitting down shot ( I like the B/W conversion bestest) . Your young model looks like a natural.
    Growing with Dgrin

edited January 14, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    Scott, I did a boyscout photoshoot today and it was probably the worst of my photo career. It was a beautiful day here in SE Texas, but my client wanted me to shoot at 1:00 and not 5ish like I suggested. The sun was harsh...I felt like I wasn't going to produce good images. Coming home, I didn't even want to see my camera...I just put it on the table, and went to a neighbors house to have a glass of wine. I came home and realize that the sun was harsh. AGH! I'm depressed now. :cry
    I know the feeling. Last spring I had a similar experience. All I can say is "Fill-flash, baby!"
    edited January 14, 2008
    I warmed this one up a touch and dialed back the exposure as I had failed to look at the levels after I had done my work on it and before I saved the file.
    243448646-L.jpg

and, per Andi's advice, I also re-cropped the second one above - you can see the difference between it and the corresponding B&W version. Now you know why I want to be like her when I grow up! bowdown.gif).
    edited January 14, 2008
    "Fill-flash, baby!"

Ain't that the truth! rolleyes1.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Scott, i think these are fantastic!!! I love the grittiness in the first one, and of course, the yummy light. I might have tried a few with her back to the brick wall and a foot up. I've tried to mix posing up a bit more with single subjects, when you get a good context and good light, have them move their body a few ways so you have options later on.

I like the one in color sitting down over the BW. They are both nice though!

The last one, just doesn't do much for me at all. I do prefer your edit over the original you posted, the light is just too spotty and her expression isn't saying anything to me.

All in all this is an awesome effort combined with the first series, your client should be very very pleased!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Scott's my hero!!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
    edited January 16, 2008
    Karrie McD wrote:
    Scott's my hero!!
    This is a little embarrassing :D Do me a favor and rip the photos a bit!