Options

Doin' the Baylands with Daniella

Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
edited March 17, 2005 in Wildlife
Hello All,
Well after viewing all these great bird/animal shots, I had to get out and shoot some before I went crazy (not a long trip at all ;-)

So I left work early (about 3pm) and headed off to one of the best places to shoot waterfowl in the state. The Palo Alto Baylands Wildlife Preserve. I pulled into the small parking lot, by the duck pond, and figured I'd go check out the rookery first. Before I could even get my camera out of the trunk, I see this pair walk past me. One guy had a D70 with a long black lens (80-400VR??) and the other one was carrying a tripod with a DReb mounted and a 600mm F4.0L attached cool_shades.gif Geeze, even though I had my Bigma attached to my 20D, I felt so inadequate lol3.gif As many of you know, besides being a consumate wise ass, I am very outgoing and I talk to anyone and everyone with a camera....lol So, I asked them if they had been shooting the Egrets and Herons and they said, "yeah the light is really good". After last week's "mixed lighting" shoot, I was stoked icon10.gif But, I figured I'd attach the 580EX for some fill anyway.

Let me digress for a minute. Sunday before last, Ian408 and I got together to shoot at another good waterfowl site. Based mainly on some pics we saw that were posted on the DPR Canon Forum. Excellent Osprey shots and some Waxwing shots to boot. These shots were taken by someone I had admired (especially for her IR work) for a long time.

Anyhow, as I'm walking towards the rookery, I see this slight young woman carrying a DReb, on a monopod, with a 400mm F5.6L attached. Again, being the shy guy I am, I say hello and she says "ullo". I think to myself, wow, this might be that same young woman who is mentioned above. So I asked her if her name was Daniella? She said yes clap.gifclap.gif OH BOY!! Now I'm really getting excited. Not only had I wanted to talk to this woman and trade tips with her, for years, now I actually might get to shoot a few frames with her biggrinbounce2.gif

Sure enough, after introducing myself and telling her how impressed I've been with her work, we wandered over towards the rookery. I had the 580EX attached and she asked me if I had ever used the Better Beamer. I said yeah, I have one and it's in the car. So I attached it and she gave me some instruction on how to properly use it. We walked back to the rookery and started shooting. Not great results, but the fill helped reduce the contrast from the mixed lighting.

Pick up sticks, or Nest Buliding 101
17607089-L.jpg
While some of the Egrets were building nests, others were still looking for mates and so they were "Stuttin their Stuff"
17607091-L.jpg

After firing off maybe 50 shots each at the rookery, we wandered down towards the marshes to see if we could get a few shots of the Northern Harriers we had seen circling. Well, we didn't get any raptor shots, but we did get some shorebirds.

American Avocets
17607092-L.jpg

Clapper Rail
17607093-L.jpg

The lighting was getting tough, as evidenced by the pic above, and the wind was kicking up, so we headed back towards the parking lot. We saw quite a few Night Herons roosting in the trees so we shot a few of those ruby eyed beauties.

Punk look Black Crowned Night Heron lol8.gif
17608757-L.jpg

Well, despite it not being a banner day (like not getting the shots we wanted of a mated/mating pair of Harriers :-( I had a blast talking and shooting with Daniella.

I guess the moral of my story isn't about the pics. It's about opening up to other photographers, you see when out shooting, and adding to your enjoyment by having someone to talk and shoot with.

Have a great day and thanks for looking,
Steve
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif :jawdrop

Tim

I am at a loss for words.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    nice work, steve.

daniella's work is top shelf.

where's the obligatory daniella pic ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Hey Steve,

Outstanding pics and , be still my foolish heart, a couple of egret shots too. thumb.gif And they are just in time for Egret Fest.

I've been enjoying Daniella's work for a while now, it must have been great to shoot with her. I'm glad she gave you some tips on the better beamer because I expect I'll be picking your brains on that one very soon. :D
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Steve. I just wrote a long descriptive post of how great your shots are. My brower redirected me to ...........AOL's google thing. Saying no dgrin. that is the third or fourth time this week, so this is short here.

Great shots, I would be proud of them.

I would love to see a photo of Daniella.

No, I don't have spyware.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Great stuff Stevethumb.gif , I'd love to hear the tips on the better beamer.

Ed
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 16, 2005
    Those avocets are soo cool! I've never seen a bird like that!

Great set of shots. Someday soon we'll have birds other than robins around here. Till then, I'm glad I have yours to look at!
    thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    Shakey wrote:
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif :jawdrop

Tim

I am at a loss for words.
    Thanks Tim :D

Well I did mention that this is a target rich enviornment. So rich, the hard part isn't getting a decent shot, it's deciding which of the many nice subjects to shoot :): I'll post another thread later that better illustrates what I'm talking about (there are like 4-8 Egrets/Herons in each tree :oogle )

I just love Spring iloveyou.gif

Thanks again for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    andy wrote:
    nice work, steve.

daniella's work is top shelf.

where's the obligatory daniella pic ne_nau.gif
    Thanks Andy :D

And thanks for posting the link to her Pbase galleries. I posted this from work and I only had her gallery bookmarked on my home PC. So I wasn't able to include it in this post thumb.gif

I'll be posting another thread later, and unless I hear from her to the contrary, I'll post a pic of her in it mwink.gif

Thanks again for the comments and I'll see ya next week,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    daniella's work is top shelf
    Holy mess, you're not kidding. Oh, yeah, nice pics, Steve! :D
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Steve,

Outstanding pics and , be still my foolish heart, a couple of egret shots too. thumb.gif And they are just in time for Egret Fest.

I've been enjoying Daniella's work for a while now, it must have been great to shoot with her. I'm glad she gave you some tips on the better beamer because I expect I'll be picking your brains on that one very soon. :D
    Thanks Harry :D

Hey, are your Egrets getting ready for nesting too? I am seeing so much nesting/mating activity going on, it's making me want to duck out early every day.....lol I am also seeing redtails flying over the highways, in pairs and dancing (or whatever it is they are doing) in mid air with legs and talons extended. Rolling upside down and everything (maybe it's like their version of the Mile High Club :lol ) I am going to get into an accident soon, I'm sure....lol Out here, driving while looking up in the air, is akin to a deathwish rolleyes1.gif Anyhow, the Egrets and Herons are all staking out territory, gathering sticks for nests and fighting off unwanted suitors/nesters. I would think you're seeing the same sort of activity there. Although I'm wondering if Florida even has Spring? ....lol

Yep, I really enjoyed shooting with Daniella. She can come off a bit strong in some of her posts, but I think it's due more to her limited grasp of the nuances of the English language than it is her personality. She was extremely nice and we shared lots of laughs.

Well, if you're gonna pick my brain, you better hurry. Not only are the pickins slim, but I have a really bad short term memory. What'd you say your name was again? :lol4 Just kiddin, when you're ready, ask away.

Thanks again for the comments and I'm glad I could contribute to the Egret Orgy......er......Fest,

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Steve. I just wrote a long descriptive post of how great your shots are. My brower redirected me to ...........AOL's google thing. Saying no dgrin. that is the third or fourth time this week, so this is short here.

Great shots, I would be proud of them.

I would love to see a photo of Daniella.

No, I don't have spyware.

ginger
    Awwwww Ginger,
    I have the same problem sometimes. It only happens with my keyboard at home too headscratch.gif I'll type a wordy reply and one of my fat fingers will hit a wrong key and BANG I'm out of the reply window and back to the Forums. My post lost forever into the blackhole of the internet :cry It's happened to me numerous times ne_nau.gif I just wanted to let you know that, for whatever reason, it happens to others too rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for your kind words :D

Yes, I am happy with my results and with where I am photographically. I take lots of nice pics, but I'll probably never take any great ones, and I'm pretty much OK with that thumb.gif Not that I won't keep trying to get at least one "great" pic, before I leave this life......Laughing.gif

As I mentioned in my reply to Andy, I'll be posting another thread later and I will include a pic of Daniella :):

Thanks for taking the time to type that long response, even though we didn't get to see it. I do appreciate it :-)

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited March 16, 2005
    What time did you call?

Ian

P.S. Nice Pictures!!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    thollawathollawa Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Great pictures Steve...I wish we had great birds like that running around Dallas...I hope my pictures turn out 1/2 as great as yours....thumb.gif

-Todd
    Canon 50D | 24-70 2.8L USM | 70-200 2.8L IS USM
    ToodHollawayPhotography.com
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Excellent Stevethumb.gif and Daniells work aint so bad either:D

I been following her work for sometime now.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Wow, Steve, these are great! I love the feather detail! Super - de - duper!

I am also an admirer of Daniella's work! How very cool!

This past weekend at soccer provincials, I saw a fellow with a Canon digital (not sure if it was the 10d or 20d, or maybe the 300) and a long looking lens. I went to chat with him, pointing to my camera...well, he really wasn't interested! We spoke a bit about his lens choice - the 70 - 300, which he was finding too long and too slow. But that was it! I will remember your luck next time, and not mine, and strike up another conversation when I next come across another photog.

And before you share the better beamer tips, could you tell me what it is, please?

Ann
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited March 16, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:

This past weekend at soccer provincials, I saw a fellow with a Canon digital (not sure if it was the 10d or 20d, or maybe the 300) and a long looking lens. I went to chat with him, pointing to my camera...well, he really wasn't interested! We spoke a bit about his lens choice - the 70 - 300, which he was finding too long and too slow. But that was it! I will remember your luck next time, and not mine, and strike up another conversation when I next come across another photog.

And before you share the better beamer tips, could you tell me what it is, please?

Ann

Luminous landscape has a review on the better beamer.

The short version is an attachment for a flash that extends the reach
    of a flash unit to about 100 feet. Allowing the use of fill flash to nicely
    light your birdies.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Hello All,
    Well after viewing all these great bird/animal shots, I had to get out and shoot some before I went crazy (not a long trip at all ;-)

asked her if her name was Daniella? She said yes clap.gifclap.gif OH BOY!! Now I'm really getting excited. Not only had I wanted to talk to this woman and trade tips with her, for years, now I actually might get to shoot a few frames with her biggrinbounce2.gif

Steve, your shots just keep getting better and better. Who's Daniella? Is she a dgrinner?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 16, 2005
    steve, these are awesome shots :wow and all with the bigma eh? clap.gif
    great work, looking forward to another thread! been admiring daniella's work too, truly amazing... must have been a fun shoot!

cheers,
    sash
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    You are spoiling us Steve! Thnxs for sharing. You always tell a great story to go along with your pictures..
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Who's Daniella? Is she a dgrinner?

www.pbase.com/zylen

no, she hangs on the canon fora on dpr.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    ehughes wrote:
    Great stuff Stevethumb.gif , I'd love to hear the tips on the better beamer.

Ed
    Thanks Ed :D

I'm going to practice with it a bit more then I'll post what I've come up with. FWIW, yesterday I was shooting in Av @ F8-F10, ISO800 with -2/3 EV comp. I had the 580EX set to ETTL, 50mm zoom, disable 1/250 sync and -2/3 FEC. When I switched over to flying birds against the sky, I changed the EV comp to +2/3 (still wasn't enough) and left the flash as is.

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Great pics, Steve.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Those avocets are soo cool! I've never seen a bird like that!

Great set of shots. Someday soon we'll have birds other than robins around here. Till then, I'm glad I have yours to look at!
    thumb.gif
    Thanks Doc :D

There are so many different kinds of shorebirds there it's really hard to remember all their names. Daniella was saying "oh man I got a Sora earlier and then a Golden Eye". I said "Wow, good work", to cover my ignorance of not knowing what she was talking about :lol

Hey, you might not have the exotic birds, but you have Fall color clap.gif I love to do landscapes almost as much as birds and you live in a landscape shooters paradise thumb.gif

Thanks for taking the time to comment,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    TristanP wrote:
    Holy mess, you're not kidding. Oh, yeah, nice pics, Steve! :D
    Thanks Tristan :D

Yeah, now you see why I wanted to shoot with her.......lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    What time did you call?

Ian

P.S. Nice Pictures!!
    Thanks Ian :D

You know I was thinking of calling you and I remembered that you said you didn't like to ditch work to shoot. I can dig that. If you'd rather work than shoot, I understand. Wait a minute! No I don't understand at all......Laughing.gif If you're serious, I'll call you next time thumb.gif

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    thollawa wrote:
    Great pictures Steve...I wish we had great birds like that running around Dallas...I hope my pictures turn out 1/2 as great as yours....thumb.gif

-Todd
    Thank you Todd for that very nice compliment :D:D

I'm not too familiar with Dallas, but I'm sure there are lots of nice subjects to shoot. Just off the top of my head, the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders come to mind :lol4

Thanks again and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Not great results
    Steve wrote "Not great results".

Steve.....when you get great results....tell me. I can then not open the post and view photos that make me feel even more clutsy. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Steve wrote "Not great results".

Steve.....when you get great results....tell me. I can then not open the post and view photos that make me feel even more clutsy. :D

Sam

nod.gif

he is a bit self-effacing, eh? get *over* it steve, your stuff is definitely da bomb
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    Excellent Stevethumb.gif and Daniells work aint so bad either:D

I been following her work for sometime now.
    Thanks John :D

I'm going to post a couple later that reminded me of the one you posted earlier. Yes I really enjoy looking at Daniella's work too. Over the years I've been conversing with her over at the DPR Forums. I was interested in how she colored her IR's and have followed her work since. She gets some awesome results from the 400mm F5.6 and the Canon 1.4X TC with taped pins thumb.gifthumb.gif Plus, she's working with the handicap of the Drebs relatively slow AF. I don't know which I like more now days, her IR's or her birds....lol

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to comment,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:

Ann
    Hiya Ann :D

Sorry your last encounter didn't go well. I usually find other photographers to be extremely talkative. Especially about their gear and takin' pitchas. On the off chance that they won't talk, I follow them around until they do lol3.gif I agree with giving it at least one more try. You've got nothing to be shy about, especially in a sports shooting venue. You are a Pro mwink.gif

Looks like Ian has pointed you in the right direction regarding the Better Beamer.

Thanks for taking the time to comment,

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero