Fly Eye Practice

garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited January 14, 2008 in Holy Macro
This half frozen fly landed in the sun on the picnic table and was barely able to move. Haven't seen one in quite some time now, so I took the opportunity to practice keeping sharp eyes. I find it's much easier when you can rest the lens on something (and having a half frozen fly doesn't hurt either), and am going to give Brian's bean pole a try this spring and see if it increases the keeper rate. Not sure where the fly's left wing disappeared to in the second shot, but it is visible in the first. Only wish I had caught the tip of it in the first shot.

Click for larger images.

2191001134_107d00b375.jpg

2190212603_c2bc11f9f5.jpg
Gary
Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Excellent shots of a cluster fly Gary.
    Brian V.
  • job3210job3210 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Nice sharp close ups - It is indeed a mystery as to where the fly wing went in the second
    Glenn
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    garyt wrote:
    This half frozen fly landed in the sun on the picnic table and was barely able to move. Haven't seen one in quite some time now, so I took the opportunity to practice keeping sharp eyes. I find it's much easier when you can rest the lens on something (and having a half frozen fly doesn't hurt either), and am going to give Brian's bean pole a try this spring and see if it increases the keeper rate. Not sure where the fly's left wing disappeared to in the second shot, but it is visible in the first. Only wish I had caught the tip of it in the first shot.

Click for larger images.

Hi Gary, you were lucky that this fly liked your lunch and decided to drop in.
    You got those eyes very very sharp indeed clap.gif

Good luck with the pole, let us know how you go with it wont you.

Well done Gary thumb.gif .. Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin