LPS #20 ideas

jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
edited January 18, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have a few initial shots for #20, I'd like to get some feedback on them.

1) Rainy day safari

243059480-L.jpg

2) Rainy day safari #2

243059585-L.jpg

3) Many little faces
243059484-L.jpg

Thanks for looking and your input.

Edit: see #9 for my latest.

Comments

• ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Feedback
    The composition is pretty busy with no clear subject in my opinion. Also, it could be a stretch as far as respecting the theme, not sure, let see what others think.
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    ifocus wrote:
    The composition is pretty busy with no clear subject in my opinion. Also, it could be a stretch as far as respecting the theme, not sure, let see what others think.

Thanks for the input. Since there haven't been any other comments and plenty of views, looks like no one thinks anything better of it. I have a couple other ideas to try (although there is at least one other entry similar to one idea I had) I'll see what I get.

This round and the previous one have been tough for me, I don't normally shoot portraiture, and don't terribly enjoy doing so. Makes it a bit harder with these subjects.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    James-
    I'll add my agreement with iFocus. All of these are very busy without a focal point. I see faces but nothing that pushes me to think 'face' when I look at the photos.
    Hope that helps.
    E
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    James,

I agree with the others, theme is a stretch and composition confusing. And like you noted, not many comments usually means not connecting with anyone.

You say you aren't big in to portraiture (me neither) so you might try going a little more abstract on this with nature or still-life shots (e.g. tree branches that look like hands, a pattern in the landscape that looks like a face, made a bold abstract face or hand out of household objects). Maybe that will play more to your experience and strengths and let you be creative at the same time.

Ken
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Hey, don't think that just because there are lots of views with few comments, that there aren't any opinions. Sometimes folks just get busy, or don't know how to work things.

I like the third image the best, "many little faces," in practically all aspects. Lighting, color, and that "warm coziness" that would be expected from the subjects as a whole.

I don't know that it meets the theme, but we all know that "theme" is rather subjective. With the right judging panel it might be seen as the "one."
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited January 14, 2008
    kwalsh wrote:
    James,

I agree with the others, theme is a stretch and composition confusing. And like you noted, not many comments usually means not connecting with anyone.

You say you aren't big in to portraiture (me neither) so you might try going a little more abstract on this with nature or still-life shots (e.g. tree branches that look like hands, a pattern in the landscape that looks like a face, made a bold abstract face or hand out of household objects). Maybe that will play more to your experience and strengths and let you be creative at the same time.

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the response.

You have some good ideas there, I'll have to keep my eye on the landscapes. I've also been thinking a little bit about finding some sculpture to work with. Or, there's always trying for the dogs again (although I don't seem to get quite the shots that I need with them either).

As I type this, another idea came to me. More tonight, I hope.
    edited January 14, 2008
    HoofClix wrote:
    Hey, don't think that just because there are lots of views with few comments, that there aren't any opinions. Sometimes folks just get busy, or don't know how to work things.

I like the third image the best, "many little faces," in practically all aspects. Lighting, color, and that "warm coziness" that would be expected from the subjects as a whole.

I don't know that it meets the theme, but we all know that "theme" is rather subjective. With the right judging panel it might be seen as the "one."

Thanks for the input. The third image is the animals in their normal display location. Lighting was easier than the stairs, as the stairs are not too well lit.

I do understand what you're saying about the theme. It is very subjective, and in past rounds I have not felt a strong theme connection to some photos that have done very well. I've got a few more things to shoot that should be stronger on the theme, I'll give it a try.
    edited January 17, 2008
    Well, I managed to get what I feel is an interesting shot of one of my dogs. Is it an improvement?

244524204-L-0.jpg

Thanks for looking and your comments.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    The dog doesn't scream "face" to me, it screams "scary toothy dog" instead.....

Sorry! it's a fun shot, but not a contender IMHO.
    edited January 18, 2008
    The dog doesn't scream "face" to me, it screams "scary toothy dog" instead.....

Sorry! it's a fun shot, but not a contender IMHO.

Thanks! Had to try, it is something different. I guess I went a little too over the top for you. I did get another (slightly less fun) shot that might work better, with that input in mind:

244539714-L.jpg

Any better?

Still have one or two more things I'd like to try...