Options

Postprocessing help

rbrugmanrbrugman Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited January 15, 2008 in Finishing School
I think that I finally may be one with my D80. After taking hundreds of terrible pictures, I had one portrait turn out good. I was just looking for any suggestions for taking this picture from good to great. I have the raw file, but I actually like the JPEG that came out of the camera better. Any input is appriciated!

Thanks fellow dgriners!

Robert

Comments

• Options
    ChrisKraftPhotoChrisKraftPhoto Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    ??? I'd hesitate to do anything with the colors as the red against the white ice is kinda striking:

243345618-L.jpg
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    rbrugman wrote:
    I think that I finally may be one with my D80. After taking hundreds of terrible pictures, I had one portrait turn out good. I was just looking for any suggestions for taking this picture from good to great. I have the raw file, but I actually like the JPEG that came out of the camera better. Any input is appriciated!

Thanks fellow dgriners!

Robert
    Reduce the grey of the ice. Lighten the eyes. Remove some of the red tone on the face.
    243350311-L.jpg
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    rbrugman wrote:
    I have the raw file, but I actually like the JPEG that came out of the camera better. Any input is appriciated!

Thanks fellow dgriners!

Robert

Just to be clear, are you saying that the default rendering of the raw file was less pleasing than the jpeg, or that you were not able to to tweak your raw to get the same pleasing image as your jpeg?

Also, what raw converter are you using?

EDIT: It is a heck of a nice picture! thumb.gif
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Can't help with PP, but I like it!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    rbrugmanrbrugman Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Just to be clear, are you saying that the default rendering of the raw file was less pleasing than the jpeg, or that you were not able to to tweak your raw to get the same pleasing image as your jpeg?

Also, what raw converter are you using?

EDIT: It is a heck of a nice picture! thumb.gif

I'm using photoshop CS2 with the lastest ACR that's available for CS2. When I open the RAW I just don't get the color that I have with the JPEG. I think the problem is that I don't know how to use photoshop to do things such as reduce the gray of the ice, lighten the eyes, etc as recommended. My photoshop book should be here this week though and then maybe I can figure it out.

I really do like the red against the ice. The saturdation of the red came out great. Having absolutely no eye for art (I'm a Finance major for a reason mwink.gif), I don't just know what makes for good portrait composition, color or style.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    rbrugman wrote:
    I'm using photoshop CS2 with the lastest ACR that's available for CS2. When I open the RAW I just don't get the color that I have with the JPEG. I think the problem is that I don't know how to use photoshop to do things such as reduce the gray of the ice, lighten the eyes, etc as recommended. My photoshop book should be here this week though and then maybe I can figure it out.

I really do like the red against the ice. The saturdation of the red came out great. Having absolutely no eye for art (I'm a Finance major for a reason mwink.gif), I don't just know what makes for good portrait composition, color or style.

I think that your camera adds a fairly strong contrast curve when it renders its jpegs. ACR 3.x is probably showing you a linear curve --no contrast applied. You might try going to the "Curves" tab in ACR and trying some of the drop-down curve menus to see if that gets the image closer to (or even better than) the jpeg.