"disk space used" stat

shgshg Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited January 15, 2008 in SmugMug Support
If I add up the contents of every directory full of photos I've uploaded to Smugmug in the past week, the total size of all those photos is about TEN TIMES the figure that my Smugmug control panel reports under "disk space used".

Just wondering... why the difference?

Comments

• SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 14, 2008
    shg wrote:
    If I add up the contents of every directory full of photos I've uploaded to Smugmug in the past week, the total size of all those photos is about TEN TIMES the figure that my Smugmug control panel reports under "disk space used".

Just wondering... why the difference?

Frankly, we simply haven't been updating that number properly since we offer unlimited storage.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • shgshg Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Sheaf wrote:
    Frankly, we simply haven't been updating that number properly since we offer unlimited storage.

That's the sort of reason I can understand. Thanks Sheaf!
  • afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Hmmm...no biggie, but I would be interested to know the true amount of disc space I have been using. I figured the number was accurate, so I never quesitoned it.

Why list that statistic if it's known to be innacurate. Would it not be better to remove it entirely?
  • madeingermanymadeingermany Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Bulk Backup
    Is the number in the Bulk Backup accurate?

I have
    Bulk Backup - Size of this Backup request: 1928 MB
    Control Panel Stats- disk space used: 2.23 GB

Pretty close :p
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 15, 2008
    Is the number in the Bulk Backup accurate?

I have
    Bulk Backup - Size of this Backup request: 1928 MB
    Control Panel Stats- disk space used: 2.23 GB

Pretty close :p

That number will be far below the actual disk space used because it only takes into account originals. We store the originals and up to 8 additional sizes (X3, X2, XL, L, M, S, Th, Ti). And, of course, we store multiple copies of the originals.

I'll see about getting one of the Sorcerers to update the number or remove it entirely from the Control Panel.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • madeingermanymadeingermany Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Ah, good to know.

As far as I am concerned, I'm happy with just the total size of my originals and wouldn't mind shoowing that in stats (as an addition or replacement, if the old way doesn't work any more).
  • afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Agreed. I think the only real valuable number is the size of all the originals. It's good to know how much I would need to download should something terrible happen to my own home backup.