Oh no----tiny dot on CP

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited January 14, 2008 in Cameras
I just bought a Hoya CP Filter and noticed when I took it out of the box it had a tiny---very tiny dot at the edge of the glass by the rim. No bigger then the point of a pin. You can notice it when you tilt it as a clear tiny dot.

Is this a problem and should I send it back for another one?

I took some photos using it to see if it would be noticeable...haven't looked at them yet....but I'm thinking it wouldn't even show up on a photo. But when you spend over $100 bucks you want it purrrr-fect :D

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 14, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    I just bought a Hoya CP Filter and noticed when I took it out of the box it had a tiny---very tiny dot at the edge of the glass by the rim. No bigger then the point of a pin. You can notice it when you tilt it as a clear tiny dot.

Is this a problem and should I send it back for another one?

I took some photos using it to see if it would be noticeable...haven't looked at them yet....but I'm thinking it wouldn't even show up on a photo. But when you spend over $100 bucks you want it purrrr-fect :D

While your perception of a "tiny tiny dot" might be different from mine, if it is causing you concern you should send it back. You might not trust it as a tool and then not use it, which would be worse than not having it at all.

If it is right at the edge of the filter there is a good chance that it won't cause a visible problem, but if it is the start of a crack (just a remote possibility) then it could lead to substantive problems in the future.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Since you got XTi - don't worry and sleep well and sweet mwink.gif

Your camera don't even see area near the rim, not even close.
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    While your perception of a "tiny tiny dot" might be different from mine, if it is causing you concern you should send it back. You might not trust it as a tool and then not use it, which would be worse than not having it at all.

If it is right at the edge of the filter there is a good chance that it won't cause a visible problem, but if it is the start of a crack (just a remote possibility) then it could lead to substantive problems in the future.

Oh my...I never thought about it cracking -- its going back for another one. I don't want the worry of it cracking -- even if its a remote chance.

Thank-you for the help.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    z_28 wrote:
    Since you got XTi - don't worry and sleep well and sweet mwink.gif

Your camera don't even see area near the rim, not even close.

It's to be used on my 24-105 and my 10-22. You don't think that it might pose a problem on those as I don't have a clue as to how close to the rim the camera can see.