Options

CS3 assistance

gail9180gail9180 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited January 15, 2008 in Finishing School
When I create a vignette, using the curves and then put a gaussian blur to the max, it places rings of pixelations in my images. Does anyone know how to remove or fix that? I like the vignetting effect, just not the extra pixelation. Can't notice it as much on screen, but looks really bad in prints. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    First off, which CS3 app are you using?

There are very easy ways to create vignette's in ACR, Ps & Lr w/o digging into the curves dialog. I usually think setting gaussian blur at 30 is hardcore. I haven't heard much reason to max this tool out.

Pleasae try to be a bit more detailed so the ppl in here can help out!thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    First off, which CS3 app are you using?

There are very easy ways to create vignette's in ACR, Ps & Lr w/o digging into the curves dialog. I usually think setting gaussian blur at 30 is hardcore. I haven't heard much reason to max this tool out.

Pleasae try to be a bit more detailed so the ppl in here can help out!thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -Jon

Sorry, Using CS3 Extended. I use the elliptical marquee tool the select the area, then inverse the selection, use the curves to darken the image background and then blur it to blend in. I would be glad to hear other suggestions. Thanks.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    So by saying extended, you mean your using Photoshop. :D

If you have Ps CS3 then you also have Bridge and ACR (Adobe Camera Raw).

Open up your image in ACR.
    Go to this link (it's a 6MB PDF):
    http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/pscs3/download/sample-02.pdf
    and go to page 22.

This entire PDF is pure gold but page 22 is relevant for you now so we'll just stick w/ that.

After you have an image open in ACR and have read this page. You should know how to vignette to hour hearts content by only adjusting two sliders!

I've been a bit brief in the reply. But it's not hard to grasp once you read the page I mentioned. Let me know if you have questions after you do thisthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    Thanks for that information, but if you could give me another example for situations for which I may have to use an older version of photoshop? Thanks again. I appreciate your time.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 15, 2008
    Vignettes can be added several ways.

CTRL-J for a new layer. Select with the elliptical lasso or the marquee tool for a more rectangular selection. Select>Modify>Feather -- try 200 to 250 pixels for a feather. Invert your selection with Select>Inverse.

Now you can darken this selected area with Brightness/Contrast found by clicking on the black/white circle at the bottom of the layer palette ( which is to bring up a new fill or adjustment layer) Adjust the Brightness/Contrast sliders as desired and refine by using the Opacity slider on the layer palette.

OR - you can use a radial gradient - Type D for black ink, and then type G - and click on the second tool from the left in the gradient toolbar for the radial gradient tool. It looks like a black square with a white circle in the center. Click on the Black to transparent gradient, and click in the center of your image and drag to a corner. If the center gets dark, reverse the direction of the gradient where is says "reverse"

I have used both of these techniques for some time. I tend to prefer the Brightness/Contrast sliders. The gradient tool offers the option of different colors for your gradient and hence for your vignette.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    One more simple way for older versions:

Ctrl-J for new layer. Rectangular marquee around the entire image. Edit stroke - I usually find that 3-5 pixels works best. Gaussian blur until desired effect is achieved, adjust opacity to taste.