Options

Advice on 20D Compare these photos

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited March 17, 2005 in Cameras
Ok I got the 20D this week and I must say that I'm OVERLY impressed.... HOWEVER, I got the 18-55 lens with it and I need some opinions. My best guess is that the 20D is awesome and this default lens is crap. I have posted some photos at the link below. Now keep in mind that I'm speeking from the "automatic" mode so I'm not displaying any artwork. My concern is the accuracy of focus. All of the photos in this gallery http://kc7dji.smugmug.com/gallery/438680
are taken in Automatic - Auto Focus EXEPT this one.
[url="javascript:self.close()"]17645145-S.jpg[/url]
This one was taken in Automatic mode with manual focus. That is if you can focus this lens with that tiny ring on the end.

The auto focus seems very fast and looks accurate through the view finder but I think the photos either look soft or a tiny bit blurry.

Please give feedback. There are other galleries on the smugmug site as well and the 20D photos are listed in 20D galleries. The rest were all G3.

Thanks in Advance.
kc7dji

Comments

• Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Are you trying to take close up pictues? If so, then you'll need a macro lens for that. The 18-55 doesn't really have macro, so the pictures will come out out of focus. This is just what I'm guessing....I'm sure other people have better advice.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    They dont look soft to me, depending on what you were focusing on.

You have managed to pick up at least 8 dust specs already.....
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    dust?
    GREAPER wrote:

Where do you see the dust... I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Thanks though
    kc7dji
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:

I have heard a lot about having to send off Digital SLR's to be cleaned, it there any cleaning that can be done your self? like with canned air or some such?

James.

P.S. Also what is the best way to test for dust? A shot of a plain white surface?

James.
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    I have heard a lot about having to send off Digital SLR's to be cleaned, it there any cleaning that can be done your self? like with canned air or some such?

James.

P.S. Also what is the best way to test for dust? A shot of a plain white surface?

James.

from what i understand, the best way to check for dust is to use a small aperature, a long exposure, and shoot at the blue/overcast sky.

as for the kit lens...
    it's not an "L", but its not crap either. i'm not big on it as a walk around lens as i prefer my thrifty 50 for that until i can step up to a 28-135 IS. the kit lens is pretty sharp stepped down and is ok as long as long as you know its role.

for me the role is as cheap wide angle. its hard to find anything with that coverage for that price. if you have a larger budget to fit the big dogs in, then by all means upgrade. i love my 50mm mk II. since its a prime it forces me to think about where i am vs. zooming in and out. its dirt cheap and great optically for the price.

hope this helps...i'm sure others with experience with the 17-40L, 16-35L, and 28-135 IS will chime in too. there are plenty of options out there thats for sure.

enjoy the new camera!

jeff