Options

I will kill my PC

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Not spyware in the BIOS, BUT spyware can get installed in the MBR, whch is effectively the 'boot loader' for PCs...in effect, the spyware runs BEFORE Windows, and thus, your spyware tool can not see it.

The only way to fix this is to do a full fdisk, and create all new partitions. Not a bad thing to do anyway, and your windows PC will likely be faster afterwards. I have no idea whether this has happened to you at all.

For later, you may want to consider a free tool like DriveImage XML, which is a free 'Ghost' product. Once you get Windows freshly installed, and your critical software, take an image, tuck it away on a DVD or spare harddrive, and then whenever there is a problem again, simply wipe your drive and reload the image.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Ok i did everything ran all type of antivirus/spayware etc but no change looks like have to delete all partitions
    Need to sleep 5 AM wasted 2 days otherwise i was out to shoot fort far away from my houserolleyes1.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Does anyone have links to documentation for awais to reference when doing this process? I remember the first time i used fdisk. While it's not hard. It's pretty intimidating not knowing if your doing it correctly.

I did the same thing. I had a friend just tell me, "Oh, all you do is fdisk, reload blah blah.." Yea it wasn't as easy as he made it sound. eek7.gif
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    He shouldn't need to use fdisk. If he's backed everything up he can format the drive and create the new partitions with the XP disc.

A better idea is to just install XP on the whole drive and repartition after the install using something like partition magic.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    Thanks for the help
    Moving to Vista could be a solution without re partition whole PC ?
    As i have to write everything on DVDs that will take time eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    Well, moving to Vista could solve the problem (unless the spyware is located on one of the other partitions anyway), but it will likely introduce several more. Unless your machine is relatively new and has at least 1GB (better 2GB) of RAM, I don't recommend it.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 17, 2008
    Thanks for the help
    Moving to Vista could be a solution without re partition whole PC ?
    As i have to write everything on DVDs that will take time eek7.gif

I think it's a really bad idea to even think about Vista until you have eliminated the problems you have with your current setup. That would be like using a lighter to see whether there's any gas in your car tank.

Why do you need so many partitions?

Regards,
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I think it's a really bad idea to even think about Vista until you have eliminated the problems you have with your current setup. That would be like using a lighter to see whether there's any gas in your car tank.

Why do you need so many partitions?

Regards,
    rolleyes1.gif

One contains Windows other personal documents and one for games and last one for Photos :D

Pupator i have 2 GB ram and Intel core Duo processor rolleyes1.gif

My Gallery
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    go to the "Hijack this" website, join the forum and use the scanner... they will most likly find yer problem!
    good luck!

My old Laptop has got some nasty bugs... AVG found over 200 trojans and virus's...lol good thing i just use it to surf.. thats all..
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif

One contains Windows other personal documents and one for games and last one for Photos :D

Pupator i have 2 GB ram and Intel core Duo processor rolleyes1.gif

Then all those partitions are totally unnecessary. I understand the idea behind having your windows installtion/programs on one partition and your documents and photos on another (though it too is unnecessary). But there's really no reason to have all that on different partitions.

Back it up, format (not quick) the whole drive, install the OS of your choice (XP or Vista) on ONE partition. Then once you have it running you can make a second partition for your data if you really want to. You'll be up and running in no time! thumb.gif
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    "It's not spyware in the BIOS."

OK maybe spyware is the wrong term, but a virus CAN get into the BIOS.

Try resetting the BIOS. If you have the MB manual it should tell you how to configure the jumpers.

Can't hurt at this point.

Gene
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    kini62 wrote:
    OK maybe spyware is the wrong term, but a virus CAN get into the BIOS.
    Gene, with all due respect, it's improbable. It's very much to a point that taking a certain picture can purposefully change your camera's firmware. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Reinstall?
    Why?
    I think you need to give your PC a little time. One full day cleanup session
    1. Remove everything what you don't need. That includes data and software
    2. download ad-aware anti spyware, and AVG anti virus, update the definitions online
    3. Run a full test with both.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Gene, with all due respect, it's improbable. It's very much to a point that taking a certain picture can purposefully change your camera's firmware. ne_nau.gif

I did a little digging out of curiosity. It is possible to infect the BIOS, but sightings in the wild appear to be anecdotal so far. Systems programmers can see how it could be done here and here. It's arcane stuff, but the interesting part is that the same method of attack would work on Linux as well Windows. Don't know about OS-X.

I am still doubtful that Awais has an infected BIOS. Medical school students are taught that when you see hoof prints you should look for a horse, not a zebra. The same applies here. I wouldn't rule out an infected Master Boot Record, as that is more common. Most current anti-virus software can detect and clean MBR problems.

I would first try to rule out hardware issues by running diagnostics. Then do complete (MBR, registry, memory, all files and programs on all partitions) system scans using several AV products--no single one detects everything. If that doesn't work, then backup all the data, wipe the hard drive, and reinstall Windows. Don't restore the data until you verify that the system is working properly. If it's not, then it might be time to re-flash the BIOS.

Regards,
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    kini62 wrote:

Try resetting the BIOS. If you have the MB manual it should tell you how to configure the jumpers.

Can't hurt at this point.

Actually it can. Depending on the level of a user's computer saavy resetting the BIOS can cause all sorts of challenges. If that version of the BIOS, when reset, defaults to booting to HDD first rather than CD - they'll find that they can't reinstall Windows without making a change they may or may not know how to do.

Also, resetting the bios requires opening the case and putting your fingers on some very small jumpers that are usually very close to easily-broken resistors. Break one of those things and you've really made a mess.

There are things I believe in that I've never seen with my own eyes - the day I find someone whose problems were actually (and not on purpose) cause by some sort of malware in the BIOS - well that's a day I'll do something crazy (like buy a Mac!). rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I did a little digging out of curiosity. It is possible to infect the BIOS, but sightings in the wild appear to be anecdotal so far. ...
    Regards,
    Hey, Richard, that's why I said improbable, no impossible. mwink.gif
    I understand that it's all bits and bytes, yet, as you've mentioned, thus far it's been an anecdotal possibility, not a real life threat... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I understand that it's all bits and bytes, yet, as you've mentioned, thus far it's been an anecdotal possibility, not a real life threat... ne_nau.gif

I sure hope it stays that way. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    ...the day I find someone whose problems were actually (and not on purpose) cause by some sort of malware in the BIOS - well that's a day I'll do something crazy (like buy a Mac!). rolleyes1.gif
    Laughing.gif my line of thoughts exactly rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    :D

I have burnned all photos on DVD. Now experimenting different things.

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Good job Awais!

I vote to follow pupators instruction about the install and partitions. THis has always been a sucess for me. But as I said before. I've been really lucky w/ computers and not had any major issues w/ them.

Hope it works out. And even if your tests don't work to plan. You still have all your data backed up and you can start over!

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Jon nothing happened to my PC too this is very 1st time apart from lighting bolt that fried cable modem eek7.gif still Pc was working.
    This is some realy cool worm made from heart clap.gifeek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    A lightning bolt fried your modem and your PC lived through it?
    Dude you need to contact the manufacturer of that Computer and sell them that story!

Good luck w/ your project!

-Jon
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    A lightning bolt fried your modem and your PC lived through it?
    Dude you need to contact the manufacturer of that Computer and sell them that story!

Good luck w/ your project!

-Jon

Well this is what he told me because i remember the sound of that bolt and my PC went black. In the end i had to replace Modem and Power supply.
    He told in heavy storm don't use internet eek7.gif
    Same happened with my new PC but it started to work just after that.

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Well this is what he told me because i remember the sound of that bolt and my PC went black. In the end i had to replace Modem and Power supply.
    He told in heavy storm don't use internet eek7.gif
    Same happened with my new PC but it started to work just after that.

Actually, in a lightning storm, the modem is the most likely thing to get fried. Telephone wires and cable TV wires are really great conductors of electricity and, unlike power lines and power supplies, the things on the end of the lines (cable modems, phone modems and network cards) aren't rated to handle the surge.

In Charlotte we have lots of lightning storms and I almost always get "my computer is working but the internet isn't" phone calls after them! :devbobo
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Tell them to invest in a good UPS. Most ppl don't understand why I'd buy a 500+ dollar UPS. I have a friend's dad that's in power management for the govt. And some of the facts about how "dirty" the power is in the US is scary. I'm sure it gets much scarier out of the states. But I sunk way to much dough into my machine to have it get fried by a little surge. Not to mention I work from home so my computer is my income!

Whenever the lights flicker or anything happens. I jsut keep working as normal. I've even worked for 20 minutes in a full blackout!
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Tell them to invest in a good UPS. Most ppl don't understand why I'd buy a 500+ dollar UPS. I have a friend's dad that's in power management for the govt. And some of the facts about how "dirty" the power is in the US is scary. I'm sure it gets much scarier out of the states. But I sunk way to much dough into my machine to have it get fried by a little surge. Not to mention I work from home so my computer is my income!

Whenever the lights flicker or anything happens. I jsut keep working as normal. I've even worked for 20 minutes in a full blackout!

15524779-Ti.gif Excellent advice. If you have an expensive home entertainment center, get one for that too.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    i would rather not use internet and go for a lens :D

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Than how would you share your wonderful photos w/ us? :D
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif Well there are not always storms :D

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2008
    Hi all
    I deleted partitions and istalled windows in one partition. The problem came again. But now i have formated whole hard disk now that spyware has not started to make PC go stupid so i assume it is gone.
    Otherwise after new installation it showed up in few min.

clap.gif :ivar

My Gallery