What if SmugMug sponsored a camera kit?

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited January 25, 2008 in The Big Picture
Thinking (dangerously) out loud... :huh

What if we were to put a good camera/lens kit into the hands of the dgrin community? Youz could decide who was deserving of the kit during the week(s) of ____ to shoot something epic/special, and who else after that.

My inclination is to make it a fairly high-end kit because a lot of us have 30D 200mm-type kits, and we dream of trying our hands at shooting something like this:

147383014-L.jpg

One idea would be to have people submit proposals for what they'd do while they had the kit. The community decides on the most exciting or deserving ideas, someone we know & trust from the community arranges for the kit to be shipped, whoever gets the kit agrees to post a gallery of shots that can be viewed BIG for all to enjoy.

Personally, I don't see why they'd have to be a SmugMug subscriber as long as they're willing to post the shots taken with the kit to a public SmugMug gallery we'd set up. I don't see why they couldn't own the shots either and they could be watermarked, etc. I think dgrin and SmugMug would just like the right to display them.

Your thoughts.

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

Your thoughts.

I'm thinking I'm pretty proud to be a member of this community.

Awesome, Baldy. I can think of many times in the past when I have wished that we could help out photographers that can't quite get there. Young students, ppl who have suffered loss of their equipment, etc.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    If you want to go high-end, maybe it would be a good idea to do a poll to find out numbers of Canon vs. Nikon users. That way you can get a camera that would fit for the people who are interested in this. ne_nau.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Could you also ship Miguel along with the setup bowdown.gif? I think I would learn more from him than fumbling around with a new camera and lens for a week. What were you thinking of including in the kit? 1DMkIII + 600 f/4 IS with tripod and Gimabl head for wildlife? 1DsMkIII + 24mm T/S for landscapes? 1DMkIII + 200mm f/1.8 for sports? You guys sure are generous iloveyou.gif.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    This would be great, but personally I can't think of any huge events that I would be shooting that would qualify. Perhaps many - if not most - of Dgrinners are in the same boat. You could give me a 1 body and a 500mm lens, but that wouldn't make lions appear in my neighborhood.

I'm not complaining, I'm explaining the way this idea formed:

Could Smugmug arrange for press creds?

Everyone has a major sports team nearby, or a NASCAR track, or a politacal rally, or a big name concert...you get the idea. It would level the playing field re: something special to shoot.

Just a thought -
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Sounds awesome!
    Stop thinking and pull the triggermwink.gif
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I'm not complaining, I'm explaining the way this idea formed:

Could Smugmug arrange for press creds?

Everyone has a major sports team nearby, or a NASCAR track, or a politacal rally, or a big name concert...you get the idea. It would level the playing field re: something special to shoot.

Just a thought -
    I think that woulld be more intimidating than using a new pro body and lens. You don't need to go to a big event to take interesting images. That Leopard could have been shot in a zoo.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Sounds very interesting but there is the issue of different formats and time spent trying to learn a new one. There are many Nikon and Canon shooters and still others that use Sony, Olympus, or other brands.

I really like the idea of trying to get credentials for events or huge discounts on tours.

Something like: Calling all Nevada, Arizona, and So Cal shooters
    Opprotunity for 1 (or more) photographers to shoot the SkyWalk at the Grand Canyon at no expense.

This place does not allow cameras on the skywalk at all!! An opp to shoot it would indeed be very rare.

Pit passes to a Race- Credentials for a Baseball or Football game, special discounts with pros that offer tours- etc, etc.

People have the availability to rent higher end equipment (at least Canon and Nikon shooters do :cry ) but passes and credentials are very rare indeed deal.gif

If the gear idea works than I may just try and get a turn to play with but it wouldn't be as exciting as an event. Just my opinion.ne_nau.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited January 15, 2008
    My vote is that we skew it towards a needs-based system. I'd love to help out starving students and the like. thumb.gif

One of the great things about our community is that we grow great photographers. The shootouts (thanks SmugMug! :D) are a great example of that. I'd like to make sure that those who have vision but have not yet acquired the means to achieve it get priority. In fact, I'd be really disappointed if it just meant that those who could afford it get a free rental. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Remember when Purified was turning out all those challenge-winning shots on a point and shoot? I would have loved to have been able to offer her this. She was a high school student at the time, but man, she's got vision. Now she's in college, and could still use a leg up, I'm sure. And not just the youth, I'm sure there are others that could use some help. But a general loaner for anyone who asks for it? Nah....
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 15, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    I think that woulld be more intimidating than using a new pro body and lens. You don't need to go to a big event to take interesting images. That Leopard could have been shot in a zoo.

Intimidating sure- but what is a better opprotunity both personal and professional?

Aaron Newman

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Great idea

My proposal:
    "The beauty of Arches NP in October '08"
    :ivar
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited January 15, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    My vote is that we skew it towards a needs-based system. I'd love to help out starving students and the like. thumb.gif

One of the great things about our community is that we grow great photographers. The shootouts (thanks SmugMug! :D) are a great example of that. I'd like to make sure that those who have vision but have not yet acquired the means to achieve it get priority. In fact, I'd be really disappointed if it just meant that those who could afford it get a free rental. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Remember when Purified was turning out all those challenge-winning shots on a point and shoot? I would have loved to have been able to offer her this. She was a high school student at the time, but man, she's got vision. Now she's in college, and could still use a leg up, I'm sure. And not just the youth, I'm sure there are others that could use some help. But a general loaner for anyone who asks for it? Nah....

15524779-Ti.gif100% I am good with that for either gear or access.

Granted there are people that could take some amazing shots but giving an opprotunity to someone that would normally not get it, is what this should be about.

I know how difficult it is for me to fork out any money for new gear or even how hard it was to commit to the shootout. So I would prefer this go to people that this would be a big deal and really could benefit.

Aaron Newman

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 15, 2008
    I think press passes to the shows would be interesting -- I know I'd appreciate it -- but SmugMug doesn't have much pull with the events, unfortunately. And I'm not sure we want the responsibility for the behavior of the photographer at the event or what they do with the photos after...
    edited January 15, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Indeed.
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Can we get one of these? lol3.gif
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
    edited January 15, 2008
    TylerW wrote:
    Can we get one of these? lol3.gif
    Hahaha, funny thing is, the one on sale at B&H is what inspired this idea. We thought maybe we could buy it, rent it out through Borrow Lenses to recoup our investment, and loan it to someone who'd put it to good use.

But Andy quickly pointed out that it isn't very practical for anything and hence the reason they don't make them anymore.
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    I think this idea is great (not that my opinion counts for much).

But, the kit is only as good as what comes with it. It's fine to toss a 1Ds
    MIII along with a 600mm L series. But, in the hands of someone else that shoots smaller the kit is not of much use. So a TS lens (or series of TS lenses), for example, would be a wonderful kit to test for someone who has never used them. Also, a lot of shooters probably don't have some of the right gear to make the best use of the kit; e.g. a very nice ball head, tripod, clamps/brackets, flash. Those items might also be needed.
    edited January 15, 2008
    Maybe a pre-requisite would be each contestant provide a list of what they would like in their respective gooody package and SM sets a behind the scenes limit on what $$ they would spend. The winner would then be able to showcase they work they did w/ they gear the SM helped them get.

The caviat of this model would be that someone might mis-understand their wish list to be a guarantee of recieving all the items they listed. That could easily be resolved in the T&C though.
    edited January 15, 2008
    SYR,

I think the idea is that there will be one package that makes the rounds.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 15, 2008
    Well it's all good to me. There are allot of great photogs out there that could greatly benefit from something like thisthumb.gif
  • bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    I love the idea. I would suggest 2 kits 1 Nikon and 1 Canon (no complaints from the peanut gallerymwink.gif).

Love the idea of the needy getting the kit and sending it on.

I think it would also be good to offer to send some of these to one of the class outings - like from Thom Hogan and others..Just MHO.

I love how you guys come up with this stuff - great idea iloveyou.gif
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Ah Gee, I don't think I'd ever get my hands on high end equipment for a week. Since I'm semi-retired I'd certainly have the time.

But to define deserving or worthy? That's a tough call.

A week would barely be long enough to get used to the camera. It usually takes me at least 2 days to find out what all the controls mean and where they are. And then there's the test shots, getting them on the computer, figuring out what went wrong and how to fix it.

Then living on the coast, there's the weather issue...

Thinking out loud, what happens if I fall in love with a camera I can't afford? I'd then be heartbroken! :cry :cry :cry

But heh, I'm willing to give it a try, and I live nearby, so no shipping charges rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Dee
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Thinking (dangerously) out loud... eek7.gif

My inclination is to make it a fairly high-end kit because a lot of us have 30D 200mm-type kits. Your thoughts.

Wishing out loud for that 1DsMkIII and the 400 f/2.8 :whew

DavidTO wrote:

Hey, I'm learning! :photo
    And I base my request on my need :heh to try out the kit I mentioned lol3.gif
    DavidTO wrote:
    In fact, I'd be really disappointed if it just meant that those who could afford it get a free rental. That just doesn't make sense to me. But a general loaner for anyone who asks for it? Nah....

:bluduh But the more I think about it, you're probably right :cry nod.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    I think Smugmug has come up with yet another fantastic idea. bowdown.gif

What I love about this is that it's essentially a creative scholarship. I think the need-based approach is a great one, but I would also like to see it put into the hands of other people who may be more in the middle. Call it serendipity, if you will. Dgrin and Smugmug are a tapestry of so many different individuals from all over the globe, I don't think that limiting who/why one gets to use the sponsored kit should reflect just a partial subset of our community. We are everyone and anyone!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    This is very cool Idea !! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    I think that it is a great idea. But I will say that possibly having two (or more) kits might not be a bad idea. I know that I'm not alone in wishing that I had money to spend on something like the mentioned 30D 200mm kit. And there are many cases where a kit like that would be plenty, and higher end might not be so necessary. Not that the super high end stuff wouldn't be a lot of fun to use, but I'd probably find it intimidating.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Interesting idea, but I think you are putting way too much weight on how much the gear will influence the product.

Most of us already own gear way beyond our means. The gear is not what is holding my photography back. My technique, eye for composition, and post production are really what I need to improve on.

It would be nice to put some gear in some needy people's hands, but they wouldn't need a D3 with a 600mm lens. Any camera would do.

And don't even think about the issue of computer access for PP.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Now if you could get me a week of watching guys like Shay work, I'd really appreciate it!
    edited January 16, 2008
    Mitchell made some great points.

I shoot w/ a D50 and even though I have total gear lust. When I really sit back and look at my photography. The weakest link is me.

Doing something like a fully paid trip to one of these wonderful workshops...
    I'd take that any day over a D3x and and a nice piece of glass.

Sorry for the semi hijack.. Just thinking out loud...
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Being an organizer of a photography mentor forum/club,I think this is a wonderful idea!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Or may be choose a guy and ask what he need in a certain limit headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery