Need some feedback

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited March 17, 2005 in People
I just got my 20D and I'm playing around with the settings....

Can I get some feedback on these... what's good (if any)

http://kc7dji.smugmug.com/gallery/438862

thanks
kc7dji

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    What were you trying to accomplish? What were you experimenting with? The photos are all over the map with no clear goal. As far as photo content, none of them are good. Some have ok-ish exposure, but the lighting and composition is really poor.

Take real photos* when you are testing so that when you get a good one, you will have something to show for the effort instead of winding up having a photo you have to trash anyway.

*What is a real photo you ask? A real photo has intent, a planned outcome, a vision for what the desired end result looks like. If, for example, you are testing the cameras on-board flash, take your test shots as if you were taking a real photo that you wanted to frame. When you get the testing completed and are getting the result you are looking for, you will know because the photo looks like something you would want to frame.

When testing, test one thing at a time. Don't change backgrounds and subjects, etc at the same time you are testing new lighting techniques or equipment. Keep the variables that change to one so you can correlate what changed to how it effects the outcome of the photo. If you have more than one variable changing, how will you know what affected what?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    too new
    What were you trying to accomplish? What were you experimenting with? The photos are all over the map with no clear goal. As far as photo content, none of them are good. Some have ok-ish exposure, but the lighting and composition is really poor.

Take real photos* when you are testing so that when you get a good one, you will have something to show for the effort instead of winding up having a photo you have to trash anyway.

*What is a real photo you ask? A real photo has intent, a planned outcome, a vision for what the desired end result looks like. If, for example, you are testing the cameras on-board flash, take your test shots as if you were taking a real photo that you wanted to frame. When you get the testing completed and are getting the result you are looking for, you will know because the photo looks like something you would want to frame.

When testing, test one thing at a time. Don't change backgrounds and subjects, etc at the same time you are testing new lighting techniques or equipment. Keep the variables that change to one so you can correlate what changed to how it effects the outcome of the photo. If you have more than one variable changing, how will you know what affected what?
    Oh I'm getting to that point. I just got the camera (20D) in this week and I was playing around with the contrast and sharpness settings. The default setting I thought were too soft and lost a lot of detail. I just gabbed my son from another room and snapped a few to see if they were any better than the default settings. I knew they were all crappy photos with no story to tell...Laughing.gif.

As I figure this camera out over the next couple weeks I should have some nice ones to post.

Thanks
    kc7dji
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Ah, very good :-)

Just remeber to only change one thing at a time. It makes it easier to tell what the effect is. And your learning curve is much shorter too.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie