Nephew's Baptism

brianhanleybrianhanley Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited January 20, 2008 in People
Hello everyone! This is my first people shoot since I bought an external flash. Boy what a differnce it makes. I was unable to bounce it off the ceiling so it is directed right at the subjects. I used shutter priority as it seemd to give the best shots in a dark church.. any suggestions as to what else I could have done to make the shots better? thanks!

243882975-L-1.jpg

243883196-L-1.jpg

243883304-L-1.jpg

243883494-L-1.jpg

243883587-L-1.jpg

243883691-L-1.jpg

243883784-L-1.jpg

243883887-L-1.jpg

243884110-L-1.jpg
Nikon D50 brianhanley.com

Comments

• RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    nice
    consider removing the watermark or moving it to the bottom
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 19, 2008
    really like the photos-

I'm assuming that between the baby's eyebrows that those are scratches-

you might consider a little touchup work-
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    How hard did you try with bounce lighting? Unless the ceiling is really high, you may have gotten some decent shots with a fast lens and higher ISO.
  • brianhanleybrianhanley Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Is that a better watermark?

I had it set to 50 on the S mode, with iso 400.. was that right? it is a VERY tall cathedral, the bounce flash did nothing :(

Thanks for the comments!!!
    Nikon D50 brianhanley.com
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Is that a better watermark?

I had it set to 50 on the S mode, with iso 400.. was that right? it is a VERY tall cathedral, the bounce flash did nothing :(

Thanks for the comments!!!

Well, ISO 400 would be very tough for a tall cathedral. I shoot basketball games that have tall celings and have to set ISO to 1600. You could probably get al kinds of different lighting if it's vaulted which would make for an interesting picture. If there is a back wall, you can point the flash backwards and bounce off a wall. It would also help if you tell us the lens and the fastest aperture of the lens. Even some your non flash pictures could benefit from higher ISO if 400 was all you shot.

You may not like the ISO at 1600, but if it's properly exposed, it doesn't show up that bad and it's not as noticeable on 4x6 prints as it is blown up on a computer screen. Next time in a situation like this, try bumping up the ISO. My personal taste, shooting flash straight on is a last resort. I would rather have noise and better lighting with higher ISO than low noise but straight on flash. Don't get me wrong, you did a great job with exposure as the faces don't look burned out like many do in this situation. I am just saying you didn't try everything to get bounce lighting to work if that was your goal. While the church may have a high ceiling, all churches have walls and there is noting in the rules that says you can't move your subject to an area of the church and bounce the light off the wall. That creates some interesting looking lighting as well and makes it look like studio lighting.