Hmmm, not sure what happened here...

Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited January 17, 2008 in Landscapes
Hello everyone. I am new to DGrin. Very new to photography as well. I have to admit I didn't even know what a f stop or ISO was three months ago. I got my camera and am learning because, I'm sure just like you all, I am in love with it all.
Anyways, this is my first post for you landscape folks. I was at a park, a swamp, near my house taking photos and came home with this one. I'm not sure what happened here but I think I like it.

244068918-M-0.jpg
"Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."

Comments

• 3n-out3n-out Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Well for sure some nice light. The color combo created here is pretty cool. Almost like the light was flowing threw water to give it that effect. Could be direct lens flare too but lens flare doesn't look like that normally. Nice pic though - from this side looks like a keeper to me...

Welcome to Dgrin!
    If you don't have creative enthusiasum all you have is a camera in your hands!

My Webpage - http://www.3n-out.com
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Hi Karrie,

Welcome to dgrin!wave.gif

Look at the shadow of the trees on the ground. They are almost pointing right at you. In this shot you were just shooting at the sun and it's an interesting case of lens flare. Usually lens flare is ugly and doesn't add to much to a picture. You found an exception. This is very common when you shoot "into" the sun though. Before you now it. You'll always be thinking about the suns location and where to be set up for that perfect shot! My guess is the coloration is from the sun bleeding throught the leaves in the canopy.

Hang around. There's TONS of good info in here. Even if you're a seasoned vet!

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    A third time's the charm, right? Hi and welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif:D

I think they've got it covered: lens flare. It does give a cool effect sometimes. Of course, this could also be some kind of swamp spirit making an special appearance. lol3.gif

Hope to see more from you!
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Thank you all very much! I am glad I found this forum!!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Yep, looks like lens flare. This a common result when you don't use your lens hood (and even, sometimes, when you do use it).

Regardless, this is a neat looking effect here. Sometimes, flare will ruin a photo. Sometimes, it adds to the look. This is an example of the second case.