A Stroll Through The Woods

Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited January 17, 2008 in People
Hello again. Thanks for your nice comments on my last post. Would like a composition check on these next few photos. I love them but have been told they are too busy. I could have shot at a wider f stop but this was a few months ago and I didn't understand too much about all that. And yes, I know the lighting sucks. This was before I learned flash during the day is okay. So, anyhow...too busy or cool looking? Thank you for helping me train my eye :D

244068720-M.jpg

244068743-M-0.jpg

244068998-M.jpg
"Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."

Comments

• CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    In general: it is a little busy; even framing the subjects a little closer may help? I like the colours of the background.
    Photo 1) I love the idea of the little lady 'playing' on the tree branches, but I do not like how I can't see her left leg.
    Photo 2) once again I like the concept, but I'd like to see more of HIM not of the tree, so even just having him fill the frame more wouldn't be so bad.
    Photo 3) Cute little girl, but *too* snapshot looking for me.
    Definitely not a bad start though!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Hey Karrie,

Here's what I see in these photos:

1. Cut off her left leg and the tree to the left takes up too much of the frame. If this is a crop, is there more of it to the right? If so you can move her just a touch toward the center and the limb would come more out of the corner of the photo.
    2. Oh no, we have something growing out of his head? I do, however, like his pose, it is a good example of a traditionally mascaline pose.
    3. The light here is the best of the bunch, nice gentle shadows on her face provide some 3D depth to her face. Here, we also have something growing out of her head as well.

Nice start. You need to pay attention to the same thing that ruins so many of my shots - the background!
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    I like the setting overall, but there really is a lot going on. Perhaps a little less depth-of-field might deemphasize the backgrounds, while still letting us enjoy the nice "woodsey" setting.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Thank you all very much. That is a lot more help than the simple "too busy" comment I had gotten before.
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."