Critique a newbie's pic!

helkathelkat Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited January 17, 2008 in People
Very new to photography in general...trying to get out of auto mode on my new-to-me 20D.

Here is a pic I took of my daughter running toward me today. I was in Av mode f/1.8 50mm with AI Servo.

What would you have done differently?

ETA: I haven't learned anything about composition yet...I am just trying to get shooting down!

2198799680_6c05dd0655_b.jpg

Thanks
Helga

Comments

• Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Hi Helga, and welcome to Dgrin clap.gif

for not knowing much it's actually really good. I can't really find anything inherently wrong with itne_nau.gif. It seems a bit soft but nothing that couldn't be fixed in post. I think you did a good job in the blurring of the background (not too much so we can still see some detail and give the picture context, but enough that we concentrate on the little lady.

you could do some nice work on it with photoshop--fix the white balance, skin tones, make her eyes pop, work with the colors a bit, crop, etc. to make it even better.

It's a good spontaneous capture--I can see her personality :) and it has some good potential.

If you want some serious feeback, try the whipping post!

Izzy
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    helkat wrote:
    Very new to photography in general...trying to get out of auto mode on my new-to-me 20D.

Here is a pic I took of my daughter running toward me today. I was in Av mode f/1.8 50mm with AI Servo.

What would you have done differently?

ETA: I haven't learned anything about composition yet...I am just trying to get shooting down!

Thanks
    Helga

First of all WELCOME!!!clap.gif

Now for the image comments ;this is a precious child...so beautiful! I see some things that need to be worked on. Your WB is way off - it's giving somewhat of a Tungstun look. So make sure you have it set to AWB. Next, it appears that your focus point is somewhere around her pink lace. Try and focus right between the eyes. This image is soft...you need to capture those adorable blue eyes. I'm a sucker for blue or green eyes.

I believe 1.8 is too much for that time of day. JMHO. Try somewhere around F4 (with 1/125)...Your image looks a little blown out.

Composition will come later...just look at lots of magazines for ideas. For now just start shooting and just have fun. Shoot different Fstops and see what happens. You learn just by shooting alot. So go for it.thumb.gif

Take care.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Just to add to what Seneca said so you don't get lost in the talk.

f1.8 is your aperture. The lower the f-number, the more narrow your Depth of FIELD (DoF or DOF) is. So if you "opened up" your aperture to f4-4.5 the entire girl would have been in focus (AKA: sharp). Another great reason for not going very narrow w/ DOF is in case your Auto Focus (AF) locks onto the wrong point like it did here.

The white balance can easily be fixed w/ an editing program. So that's not a major concern. It's always best to monkey w/ your pics as little as possible unless you are a Photoshop (Ps) junkie. Editing pictures after you get them onto your computer (called "Ingestion"), editing them is called Post Production (PP).

So what kind of editing software do you have? If you don't have any and don't want to shell out more dough. No worries. There are free alternatives out there. And also some fantastic deals for SmugMug members. Click on this link if you want to know what all the hype is about on SmugMug. Using this link will get you 5 bucks off your first subscription if you choose to get an account. Don't worry, you can check the account out free for 14 days w/o a credit card to make sure you like it thumb.gif

Post some more shots and ask specific questions. There are TONS of ppl in here that love photography as much as you and are willing to help out.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    composition is great
    maybe sharpen a little
    wb is not that bad IMO