Death Valley Dune

gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
edited March 18, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
17662865-M.jpg

17662596-M.jpg

OK, this is legal. Taken last Friday. Am I on the right track?

I added the top one - I think it is better

Thanks,

Gary

3/11/05
Sony DSC-F828
f/4.0
ISO 64
51mm
10/1600

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Thats quite bizaar actually....At first i seriously thought it was a table cloth of some sort with embroidery & then a stainless steel tray.

Well done...so what is it ....really ?
  • gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thats quite bizaar actually....At first i seriously thought it was a table cloth of some sort with embroidery & then a stainless steel tray.

Well done...so what is it ....really ?
    Last weekend I was at Death Valley - it is a shot of the sand dunes. Its lines seem to me to capture an abstact simplicity.

regards,

Gary
  • purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    That's actually very well done, considering the fact that a lot of minimalist photographs are taken in a way where you have to guess what the object is. I definitely favor the sepia version.
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
    edited March 17, 2005
    purified wrote:
    That's actually very well done, considering the fact that a lot of minimalist photographs are taken in a way where you have to guess what the object is. I definitely favor the sepia version.
    Thanks very much. I think the sepia is the way to go.

regards,

Gary
  • digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    dunes, wow....duh! the way you captured it makes me keep wondering "what the hell is it?" and I like that a lot. :D

anyway to see a cleaner version with less noise? it'd be interesting to compare....I like the grain but I'd like to compare.

aren't I demanding today? :uhoh
    edited March 17, 2005
    dunes, wow....duh! the way you captured it makes me keep wondering "what the hell is it?" and I like that a lot. :D

anyway to see a cleaner version with less noise? it'd be interesting to compare....I like the grain but I'd like to compare.

I will give your demand :D ...I mean your thinking a try tonight. (BTW-I really like this forum!)

regards,

Gary
    edited March 17, 2005
    Listening to the Faerie

17684385-S.jpg

OK, what do you think? - run through Neat Image. I think I should use this.

regards,

Gary
  • purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Judging by your first photos, you resized the image to make it larger. I can see there's some slight distortion from resizing. If you happen to have a clean, large version, use that, but it should be fine if you do not.

I'm actually reading 'Dune' right now so looking at this image makes me think of that. :)
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    purified wrote:
    Judging by your first photos, you resized the image to make it larger. I can see there's some slight distortion from resizing. If you happen to have a clean, large version, use that, but it should be fine if you do not.

I'm actually reading 'Dune' right now so looking at this image makes me think of that. :)

I read that book 7 times in my junior high/high school days. Great book.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 17, 2005
    purified wrote:

Due to the fact you said you were reading "Dune" I looked at your profile and sure enough noted you were my youngest son's age. The book came out when I was about the same age, around 40 years ago. Thanks for your comment. I have put this in the challenge - no great expectation, but I feel that it reasonably captures the minimalist concept.

regards.

Gary
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    gpgold wrote:
    Due to the fact you said you were reading "Dune" I looked at your profile and sure enough noted you were my youngest son's age. The book came out when I was about the same age, around 40 years ago. Thanks for your comment. I have put this in the challenge - no great expectation, but I feel that it reasonably captures the minimalist concept.

regards.

Gary
    It is an amazing shot! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Virginia

Email
    edited March 18, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    It is an amazing shot! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Virginia
    Thank you very much. It is always nice when our creativity is validated.

regards,

Gary
  • digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    gpgold wrote:
    Thank you very much. It is always nice when our creativity is validated.

regards,

Gary
    gotta say the cleaner version is definitely better. well done sir! thumb.gif
    edited March 18, 2005
    gotta say the cleaner version is definitely better. well done sir! thumb.gif
    I am in your debt. I really would not have thought of removing the noise without your advice. Thanks very much!

regards,

Gary