Options

processing raw in PS6

2»

Comments

• Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ok...got it...man im killin' some old jpegs with it right now thumb.gif Few things seem to be disabled on the bottom like sharpness/noise. Prob cause its a trial version.
    'Gus ma man, they work only at 100% view, that is the best way to use them anyway :D
    Ain't no trial version, 100% free software, fully enabled kick @rse RAW converter mwink.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    'Gus ma man, they work only at 100% view, that is the best way to use them anyway :D
    Ain't no trial version, 100% free software, fully enabled kick @rse RAW converter mwink.gif
    ok ta...so stay with me on this one because i really dont have much of an idea here.

Those 14 odd slide bars on the right under the 'correct' tab is really all i need to process RAW ?
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    ok ta...so stay with me on this one because i really dont have much of an idea here.

Those 14 odd slide bars on the right under the 'correct' tab is really all i need to process RAW ?
    Even more simple, if the picture looks good up front then just press 'Ins' :D I like to add some shadow contrast and some saturation once in a while though...
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I saw the box & gear ...it comes with PS elements 2. You recon its up to the job ?

This is what dpreview lists as coming with the camera (it's at the bottom of the page.)

And Canon's DPP website also says the 20D is eligible.

So yeah, I reckon something's wrong. I got the thing by going to the Canon site, entering my camera's serial number (on the bottom of the cam) and downloading it for free.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Ok...Photoshop Elements 2 comes with the 20D. Can one of you whom knows please have a butchers hook at this pdf link for me & tell me if you think its up to doing any serious RAW editing because ive read it several times & cant see half the stuff you fella's talk about with your RAW processing.It looks like its more designed for simple photo adjustments.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 19, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ok...Photoshop Elements 2 comes with the 20D. Can one of you whom knows please have a butchers hook at this pdf link for me & tell me if you think its up to doing any serious RAW editing because ive read it several times & cant see half the stuff you fella's talk about with your RAW processing.It looks like its more designed for simple photo adjustments.

Photoshop Elements 2 did NOT have a RAW converter - at least mine never did. Photoshop Elelments 3, however, has a very nice RAW converter, at least the MAC version does, but I think the XP version does also - and the RAW converter looks almost exactly like the one I use in Photoshop CS itself.
    Not sure this would be true in the Ozzie version though. Check this information out locally to verify I would suggest.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Ahhh...the smoke is clearing mate. Ta thumb.gif

I was at a shop today & a bloke there that is 'some whizz bang boffin kid' in the IT world also said that Photoshop Elements 3 is exactly what i needed for $180 0z clams ($140 US clams). Said it was the bees knees for simplicity & price.

I was confused that canon would supply (with the 20D) PS Elements 2 for RAW when it could not do it ...but it must be simply for those shooting Jpeg.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ahhh...the smoke is clearing mate. Ta thumb.gif

I was at a shop today & a bloke there that is 'some whizz bang boffin kid' in the IT world also said that Photoshop Elements 3 is exactly what i needed for $180 0z clams ($140 US clams). Said it was the bees knees for simplicity & price.

I was confused that canon would supply (with the 20D) PS Elements 2 for RAW when it could not do it ...but it must be simply for those shooting Jpeg.

Photoshop Elements 2 is just older stuff they are clearing out. Photoshop Elements 3 for XP is $88 USD, tonight on Amazon.com It could be yours in just a few day...... :):

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Which raw converter from Canon? The EOS Viewer Utility is a pain, but DPP is pretty good.
    Patch,I was reading through this thread and wondering why you think this?
    I feel its the opposite.
    For me EOSV is fast and easy.Where DPP is so confusing.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    I feel its the opposite.
    That's interesting. The only thing that confused me about DPP was the various Save options. I found the interface dead easy to use. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    I feel its the opposite.

I used an early version of EVU it was painfully slow and limited on tools. I have not used it in a while, so I apologize if it is different now. I felt I was always looking for something that was not there. DPP has a similar feel to C1, which I use all the time, so it was a more natural fit, plus I think it has some more powerful tools. I don't use either much, but I picked up an XT today, so I will give DPP a run since C1 does not process XT files yet. I will take a look at both, but I think Canon is abandoning EVU.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I used an early version of EVU it was painfully slow and limited on tools. I have not used it in a while, so I apologize if it is different now. I felt I was always looking for something that was not there. DPP has a similar feel to C1, which I use all the time, so it was a more natural fit, plus I think it has some more powerful tools. I don't use either much, but I picked up an XT today, so I will give DPP a run since C1 does not process XT files yet. I will take a look at both, but I think Canon is abandoning EVU.

The only use I make of the EOS viewer Utility is to enter my name into the IPTC coding and into the camera's memory to identify me as the owner. ne_nau.gif

You can also set up your color parameters via the EOS Viewer Utility.

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I agree the older version was much slower.Ill need a larger HD just so I can have all these programs:D
    I use C1 LE and like it,but now that I found a free program called rawshooter,I find myself using that.Its a window xp version only. I think Corel is behind it.Hope they release a mac version soon so my mac friends can give it a go.
    When you install it, says its a trial.Got a newsletter from them and they said its not.No time limit.
    For free,I highly recommend it.clap.gif
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    I agree the older version was much slower.Ill need a larger HD just so I can have all these programs:D
    I use C1 LE and like it,but now that I found a free program called rawshooter,I find myself using that.Its a window xp version only. I think Corel is behind it.Hope they release a mac version soon so my mac friends can give it a go.
    When you install it, says its a trial.Got a newsletter from them and they said its not.No time limit.
    For free,I highly recommend it.clap.gif
    I just installed Rawshooter, but can't figure out why it doesn't recognize RAW files from my Nikon 5700 P&S. I'll be getting a D70 next week, so maybe those files will work.