Loose lens/body: How to fix?

GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
edited January 18, 2008 in Cameras
My d300 and Bigma have a slight looseness when connected. It's not sloppy loose, but can move a millimeter or so (it's kind of tight, but moves if slight pressure is applied). The movement is not forward-backward, but side to side, as if connecting-disconnecting the lens, although the lens remains locked in place. It's not really a problem when shooting, because I am aware of it, but it would be nice not to have to worry about it. Does anyone have any suggestions or know how to adjust the fit to the camera? Can it be adjusted if I take it in for repair?

Comments

• BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Giphsub wrote:
    My d300 and Bigma have a slight looseness when connected. It's not sloppy loose, but can move a millimeter or so (it's kind of tight, but moves if slight pressure is applied). The movement is not forward-backward, but side to side, as if connecting-disconnecting the lens, although the lens remains locked in place. It's not really a problem when shooting, because I am aware of it, but it would be nice not to have to worry about it. Does anyone have any suggestions or know how to adjust the fit to the camera? Can it be adjusted if I take it in for repair?

I have the Bigma on my 20D and it is a tight fit. I got the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 today and after I attached it to my Nikon D300 there is play up/down but not side/side. Has nothing to do with Nikon body as all my Nikkor lenses fit as they should. If you can return it you should do so if not send it to Sigma and have then replace the metal mount. Especially since you don't want to damage the Nikon and that is one big lens. I wish Sigma would update their Nikkor mounts.
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Thanks. I bought the lens second hand on the net, so couldn't check it beforehand. It's only a minor problem, but it might be a good idea to send it to Sigma.
  • BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Giphsub wrote:
    Thanks. I bought the lens second hand on the net, so couldn't check it beforehand. It's only a minor problem, but it might be a good idea to send it to Sigma.

Hi Mike,

Yes fix it first. It's a great lens but it sucks dust like an Oreck. I had to send my 20D to Canon to get globs of dust off that were not their before I put it on. Actually I'm going to check the D300 because as I said the Sigma 24-70 I put on today, stupid me, I didn't notice the play till after shooting.

I put that lens on in a park and kids got scarred of it, it is huge.

PS negotiate a price with Sigma if it is not under warranty.

Good Luck
    edited January 17, 2008
    cheers. I'm in Japan, so don't know how well they will take to negotiations...
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Don't worry about it. Some lenses just do that. My Canon 70-200/2.8L does the same thing, while my 50/1.8 does not. Just depends on where the camera & lens fall within the tolerances.
    edited January 18, 2008
    Really? So you reckon just not worry about it? Well I have been using it no problem, but thought it might be good to see if it can be adjusted relatively easily.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Don't worry about it. Some lenses just do that. My Canon 70-200/2.8L does the same thing, while my 50/1.8 does not. Just depends on where the camera & lens fall within the tolerances.
    I would never tolerate wiggle in my body/glass connection. I have a 70-200 2.8 Nikkor and if that thing was loose. It would go in immediately for repairs. Lens mounts have strict tolerances. Strict enough that you should never have to worry about wiggle.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 18, 2008
    Giphsub wrote:
    ... as if connecting-disconnecting the lens, although the lens remains locked in place. ...

Are you experiencing a "rotational" looseness or a side-to-side (as in a shift) looseness? I am not clear from the description.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 18, 2008
    yeah sorry. I wasn't quite sure how to describe it. It is a rotational (circular?) loosness.
    edited January 18, 2008
    looking at the camera front-on, it is clockwise/counter-clockwise movement.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 18, 2008
    Giphsub wrote:
    yeah sorry. I wasn't quite sure how to describe it. It is a rotational (circular?) loosness.

As long as the lens does not lose contact with the body, it is not a problem that will affect your images and it is not worth sending in. Mine does it also.

1 mm rotational play is well within normal function.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 18, 2008
    OK, good to know. Cheers for the responses everyone.